Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: LOTS of questions for the AS gurus!!!!!  (Read 759 times)

August 05, 2011, 10:14:39 AM
Read 759 times

Spectre5922

• Information Offline
LOTS of questions for the AS gurus!!!!!
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
I actually posted these questions in the thread that I have about the new 19-6 I just got, but I figured that if you guys weren't following my thread, you wouldn't see my questions and I DEFINITELY could use some help from the gurus!

I have started to tear into the AS a little. I have pulled the center console, coffin cover and tank. I am in the process right now of removing all of the bolts, screws, brackets, steering and other items from the console to get it ready to sand and prep for gel coat. The good news is that the tank APPEARS to be okay. I am going to clean it up and have it pressure tested soon. Also, I have decided that, rather than do a temporary fix for the soft spots in the floor with the foam, I am going to do it right from the beginning and replace the entire floor. This way, I won’t have to disassemble the boat again for years. The water separator was mounted inside the console and had a hole rusted through the bottom and the PO had cut the fuel filler line and put a PVC plumbing cap on the line under the console right at the tank.
Anyway, I have a TON of questions for you though being the noob that I am.

1. Are all steering wheel hubs universal on boats or do I have to get a wheel specifically for whatever system I install? The cable was completely frozen and the wheel is toast (as you can see in my pics). I do not want to install the cheapie black sport wheels like I see in sport boats. If I am going to do this, I want the correct wheel like the stainless ones that I have seen in various posts here.

2. Are the correct throttle control levers really $230??? If so, maybe that is why the PO had that junky one that was not designed for a center console boat installed (it was mounted to the console with a homemade aluminum L-channel bracket).

3. Where do I find the thread that describes using a PVC pipe under the floor instead of using the cable trough? You guys are right. It is just a collection point for dirt, debris and muck.

4. Can you use automotive glazing putty on small scratches and nicks or do you need to use a marine-specific product? I am will be starting to sand the console this weekend after I patch all of the various screw holes, bolt holes and unwanted drilled holes from old controls and switches that are in the console. I don’t want to do anything that will not react well with the gel coat when it is applied.

5. Are the gas tank compartments (I am guessing that is what you guys are calling a coffin?) supposed to have drain holes in them that go to the bilge area? Mine has no holes and was completely full of water from rain over the years. Should I install a drain in that area when I redo the floor?

6. Is there a preferred type of steering system for a boat this size? I don’t think that I can do the hydraulic setup due to cost considerations, but is there a preference between a rack and pinion setup and the one that looks like a spring that wraps around the hub? The one that is in the boat now is the spring type setup, but it is trashed and will be replaced.

7. Would it be a total insult to AS owners and classic AS boats everywhere if I replaced all of the wood doors (anchor locker, console storage) with the marine plastic hatches? It would save a ton of money and maintenance down the road.

8. Is there a reason why there is wood between the console and deck, or is that just for looks? Does it serve a purpose?

9. I don’t have an outlet for cypress in my area. Is there any other wood beside cypress and teak that are acceptable for marine applications? The supplier of teak in my area charges $.27/sq. in. for ¾ in. teak. The wood under the console alone would cost right at $200. I MIGHT be able to save the teak step rails on the sides, but the anchor locker door is missing and the door frame on the console has a big chip out of it.

10. I’ve noticed in another build post that a lot of extra bulkheads were added on a few boats during the floor replacement. Is that something that I should consider on mine? Is it necessary support that people have found should have been done from the factory?

I’m sorry for the huge list, but you guys are the gurus.

I will keep posting pics in my original thread as I progress.....

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.
1976 Aquasport 19-6
Old 1982 Evinrude Sea King 140

August 05, 2011, 11:53:50 AM
Reply #1

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
Re: LOTS of questions for the AS gurus!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
1)  I'm not really sure if all helms are universal, I'm assuming they're not, but you can go with a standard rotary helm that's fairly inexpensive that will be compatible with lots of different helm steering wheels available.  If you go with this type of helm, you can go with cable steering (I've found that a 20' cable in my 19-6 reaches front to back very well with little leftover to kink or stretch).  The cable steering is sufficient for this boat, although I do get some feedback on mine, which requires me to keep the hand on the wheel to keep the boat straight.  :?

Steering Helm:

This is a pretty common wheel- S/S and you can get it with the rubber outer coating or without for around $80

2) I also originally had the side mount style controls on my console, I'm not sure why (maybe binnacle mount wasn't available at the time).  Yes, throttle controls are fairly expensive.  I may have a binnacle mount for OMC that we can talk about if you're interested, or I'm sure someone else here would have something for you for less than retail - that's perks of being among friends  :wink:

3)  There are lots of other threads on this, but this one sticks out in my head:
http://classicaquasport.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3802&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=floor&start=45

4)If the scratch or nick/gouge is deep, you'll probably want to go with a fairing product designed for the marine environment.  Regular automotive bondo has a tendency to absorb moisture, and if not sealed properly, will eventually crack and show through to the surface.  You should remember that your boat will flex a little when you use it, so something with a flex additive would be more betta'.  

Here's a link to some products
http://www.americanmarinesupply.com/fiberglass_repair/gel_coat.htm

5) My gas tank compartment had no drains.  These boats were designed with confidence in the idea that water would never get past the floor/sole, but we know that's just not true.  I added some holes to my tank compartment for drainage- just remember to re-seal any delaminated surfaces you create when you make drainholes.

6) Steering preference will vary from person to person, but I've found the standard rotary helm and simple cable is sufficient for this boat (and its much cheaper).  These 19-6's don't require a lot of horsepower, so you should be able to man-handle your outboard with little effort.

7) It might insult some, but I'm not the sentimental type and don't care for wood in my boat.  It definitely has a look reminiscent to the era, but it requires extra maintenance and I don't like extra maintenance for cosmetics.  But- its up to you.  If you like the look, you like the look.  I've replaced most of the wood in my boat with plastic hatches and the like.

8 ) The wood under the console was probably just for looks.  The fastener holes went through the wood and into the floor, so you do not need the wood.  You may lose a 1/2" or so of console height and that classic woody look, but you do not need the wood.  I got rid of mine.

9) See 7&8 :)

10)  Bulkheads will add structural support to your hull, how much is debatable, but will require extra work, materials, planning, draining, etc, and will add weight to your already weight sensitive boat.  My boat is completely stock (structurally) and has lasted almost 40yrs without bulkheads in the stringer system.  A properly built floor that's well bonded to your stringer systems will provide plenty of lateral support.  Just my humble opinion.

Good Luck :)
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

August 05, 2011, 12:35:45 PM
Reply #2

smitty 1

• Information Offline
Re: LOTS of questions for the AS gurus!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
Quote from: "Spectre5922"
I actually posted these questions in the thread that I have about the new 19-6 I just got, but I figured that if you guys weren't following my thread, you wouldn't see my questions and I DEFINITELY could use some help from the gurus!

I have started to tear into the AS a little. I have pulled the center console, coffin cover and tank. I am in the process right now of removing all of the bolts, screws, brackets, steering and other items from the console to get it ready to sand and prep for gel coat. The good news is that the tank APPEARS to be okay. I am going to clean it up and have it pressure tested soon. Also, I have decided that, rather than do a temporary fix for the soft spots in the floor with the foam, I am going to do it right from the beginning and replace the entire floor. This way, I won’t have to disassemble the boat again for years. The water separator was mounted inside the console and had a hole rusted through the bottom and the PO had cut the fuel filler line and put a PVC plumbing cap on the line under the console right at the tank.
Anyway, I have a TON of questions for you though being the noob that I am.

1. Are all steering wheel hubs universal on boats or do I have to get a wheel specifically for whatever system I install? The cable was completely frozen and the wheel is toast (as you can see in my pics). I do not want to install the cheapie black sport wheels like I see in sport boats. If I am going to do this, I want the correct wheel like the stainless ones that I have seen in various posts here.

2. Are the correct throttle control levers really $230??? If so, maybe that is why the PO had that junky one that was not designed for a center console boat installed (it was mounted to the console with a homemade aluminum L-channel bracket).

3. Where do I find the thread that describes using a PVC pipe under the floor instead of using the cable trough? You guys are right. It is just a collection point for dirt, debris and muck.

4. Can you use automotive glazing putty on small scratches and nicks or do you need to use a marine-specific product? I am will be starting to sand the console this weekend after I patch all of the various screw holes, bolt holes and unwanted drilled holes from old controls and switches that are in the console. I don’t want to do anything that will not react well with the gel coat when it is applied.

5. Are the gas tank compartments (I am guessing that is what you guys are calling a coffin?) supposed to have drain holes in them that go to the bilge area? Mine has no holes and was completely full of water from rain over the years. Should I install a drain in that area when I redo the floor?

6. Is there a preferred type of steering system for a boat this size? I don’t think that I can do the hydraulic setup due to cost considerations, but is there a preference between a rack and pinion setup and the one that looks like a spring that wraps around the hub? The one that is in the boat now is the spring type setup, but it is trashed and will be replaced.

7. Would it be a total insult to AS owners and classic AS boats everywhere if I replaced all of the wood doors (anchor locker, console storage) with the marine plastic hatches? It would save a ton of money and maintenance down the road.

8. Is there a reason why there is wood between the console and deck, or is that just for looks? Does it serve a purpose?

9. I don’t have an outlet for cypress in my area. Is there any other wood beside cypress and teak that are acceptable for marine applications? The supplier of teak in my area charges $.27/sq. in. for ¾ in. teak. The wood under the console alone would cost right at $200. I MIGHT be able to save the teak step rails on the sides, but the anchor locker door is missing and the door frame on the console has a big chip out of it.

10. I’ve noticed in another build post that a lot of extra bulkheads were added on a few boats during the floor replacement. Is that something that I should consider on mine? Is it necessary support that people have found should have been done from the factory?

I’m sorry for the huge list, but you guys are the gurus.

I will keep posting pics in my original thread as I progress.....

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.

Welcome aboard,

Don't forget about E-bay. I bought most of my parts from E-bay at a lot less then retail, if you have the time to wait on shipping. I've got a AS 222 CCP with a 225 Suzuki and Hydro steering. and I like the steering. I'm up Conroe Tx. Have a great build.

Smitty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal