Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 175 Aquasport  (Read 1680 times)

August 09, 2005, 08:16:06 AM
Read 1680 times

Parrothead

• Information Offline
175 Aquasport
« on: August 09, 2005, 08:16:06 AM »
Hi,
I need help with fuel tank problem. I have a problem that seems to be fuel related, I pumped fuel from tank and it seems to be restricted.
Is there a screen or filter in tank?
If so do I need to remove center console, it seems that the acess hole is not lined up with the threaded fitting in tank.
I can see the two welded in fittings one large and one small.

Thanks
David

August 09, 2005, 08:33:04 AM
Reply #1

osprey170

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 08:33:04 AM »
What exactly do you mean you pumped gas?  Did you pump the primer bulb and nothing came out?  If so then I would suspect the primer bulb first.  Check hose and fittings around primer bulb make sure that the hose is not cracked or dry.  If questionable cut an inch of hose off, refit the primer bulb and try again.  There is a check valve in the primer bulb that won't work right if it's getting air.

Two fittings?  Are you looking fore or aft part of the tank.  I just lifted console and tank cover on my 170 and it had two fittings on the front (fuel fill, and vent) and one in the rear fuel for engine.  The one in the rear had an inline filter attached to it that looked about twenty years old and wasn't clogged.
1985 Osprey 170

August 09, 2005, 10:16:54 AM
Reply #2

Parrothead

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 10:16:54 AM »
Hello,
By pumped I mean that I hooked up an electric fuel pump and pumped out 15 gallon of fuel.
       I think the two welded in fittings are as you said fill and vent. Just to the rear of fill is what I thought was supply line it is a threaded in fitting.
I can see in acess hole just infront of helm seat sending unit.
             Was the filter you are talking about an inline filter or is it in tank?

Thanks
David

August 09, 2005, 12:27:51 PM
Reply #3

osprey170

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 12:27:51 PM »
I recently took the console up and removed the floor panel on my 170.  There were a total of three fittings on my tank two on the forward portion of the tank which you can see in the picture - these are the fuel fill and vent line.  The one in the rear of the tank is the fuel supply which uses a 3/8" fuel line and an inline fuel filter.  To get to the fuel filter you would need to remove the helm seats, remove the console screws, break seal on console, lift console a few inches, remove screws for floor panel, break seal on floor panel and lift out of the way.  You can also just remove the helm seats and the screws on the rear portion of floor panel and lift gently enough to get to filter.  This way you risk damaging the floor panel and cracking the gel coat on panel - all depending on how much flex is in the panel.  The floor panel on my boat was pretty well shot so I was able to lift up a good ways without doing much damage.

1985 Osprey 170

August 13, 2005, 09:37:32 AM
Reply #4

Keith Knecht

• Information Offline
    • http://MinnowsandMonsters.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »
Hey Parrothead,

There is usually a screen at the bottom of the pickup tube in the tank.  If you build up a lot of crud in the bottom of the tank, it can get clogged.  Some pickup tubes are welded in and others unscrew. I don't know if you can get to it without removing your deckplate over the tank. Another common problem is the vent.  The screen sometimes coorodes and bugs get in and build a nest.  Check the vent.  When you run the motor is the squeeze bulb collapsing and staying crunched together?  Hope this helps.

August 15, 2005, 08:21:47 AM
Reply #5

Parrothead

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 08:21:47 AM »
Thanks for input I pulled the deck plate, found the fuel line only on the barb fitting about 3/8 of an inch no clamp!
     Ordered new hose from NAPA should be in today.
Will let you know how things come out.
    There was no screen on pickup line plastic tube only, tank is 29 gal.
     Is silicone ok to reseal the deck plate and console?

Thanks for all the help!!
David

August 15, 2005, 09:12:29 AM
Reply #6

DEFIANT

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 09:12:29 AM »
If you are still having problems getting the fuel to flow, check your tank vent line.

There should be a screen over the vent fitting on the side of the boat. If the screen is missing insects such as mud wasps can nest in the hose blocking the air flow. The next time you fill your tank see if you can feel air coming out of the vent.

If the vent is completely blocked you will have trouble filling the tank.

I have a restriction preventing gas from going into my tank, it is my empty wallet! :lol:

Good luck!

August 16, 2005, 05:57:14 AM
Reply #7

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 05:57:14 AM »
Silicone will work fine to seal the panels in.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal