Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: fiber glass help...  (Read 616 times)

October 13, 2012, 03:25:54 PM
Read 616 times

Knot on Duty

• Information Offline
fiber glass help...
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »
I recently purchased a 1969 19-1. The stringers and deck have been redone by previous owner.

A crack in the bottom of the transom just happened. The crack is right where the port side trailer bunk supports the boat is on trailer.

My first question is, should I be worried about the transom being ruined at all?  I only had it in the water one time and noticed my bilge had to be used some throughout the day bc of it.

I have never done any fiber glass work. But I knew buying this boat that I would be doing a lot of repairs for the first time.

Would just like to hear any big tips for fixing the crack, anything major I could screw up and cause a lot of damage. Like I said I'm new at boat restoration, so even the simplest tips are appreciated.

October 14, 2012, 08:32:02 AM
Reply #1

Deck Daddy

• Information Offline
Re: fiber glass help...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »
I had a crack in the same area with my 17 when the previous owner had the boat roll off the trailer at the ramp and covered it up with marine tex and paint. Long story short I had to grind it out and layer it up with glass fair and paint. The only pia is it is on a radius but easily doable in a weekend. If I had pictures I would post them but it was long before this board was formed. The water may also be coming in from another area of the boat. I had water coming in through overboard drain that was close to the water line that was fixed with 5200 and if I remember correctly JimCT had water coming in on his 17 through the center drain or engine mount, cant remember exactly where, been a few years. Is it cracked in the bildge also? Enjoy the 19.1, nice hull.
One boat at a time.

October 14, 2012, 08:43:27 AM
Reply #2

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »
It's hard to tell from the photos and or my phone, but at first glance it appears to be just cosmetic damage. Is it cracked all the way thru?  As far as having to use the bilge that does not mean the water is coming in from that location. As was stated above, water can find it's way into the bilge in many ways.  If indeed the damage does turn out to be just cosmetic, it's a minor repair.

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

October 19, 2012, 10:26:10 AM
Reply #3

Knot on Duty

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »
Thanks for your advise.  I am gonig to be working on it this weekend, and it apears that is where I am taking on water.  Will obvisouly know for sure after I fix the crack.  

Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal