You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Bow diving down at full speed or over plaining. Did extensive stringer work and  (Read 1322 times)

May 08, 2016, 07:01:03 AM
Reply #15

RSZELC

• Information Offline
Oh and to the helpful guys about the hook in the bottom , there is a big one. 3/8 over 6'. Putting woodeneyes Reply into thought I was thinking , make a 6' longboard and put a 1/2 or better groove in a stick and lay a bead of easily sanded putty in the center of the dip from chine to center of boat and then glue sand paper onto middle of long board and sand flush. Then move 8 to 12 inches out in either direction with a new bead of putty , sand flush. From there bridge off of each bead and fill in and sand off with long board. I probably would 1-1/2 chop over whole area and maybe use peel ply over that to help cut down the sanding and gel-coat

May 08, 2016, 08:57:35 PM
Reply #16

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
You could do it that way, and it would work. I would do what you suggesting to give yourself a datum but only in a couple of spots. Just enough to give you a reference point for bog application. I would apply the first layer of reinforced bog and get it 90% filled. Scree it off with a long straight edge, then after the first layer kicks knock off the high points with a coarse sandpaper then apply a layer of microballons and epoxy and scree that off with a long straight edge. Then comes the fun part....long boarding. Get a stiff long board set up,  with say 80 grit, 3 foot is about the longest effective length for one person and have at it. Sanding in alternate diagonal directions so you don't get flat spots or ruts. Or you could get a second person on the end of a longer board and same deal. This will likely require another scree and a spot fill to finish. Remember to go over the edges of the hollow. This excess will allow you to feather the extremities in flat.

BTW if its a consistent 3/8" you may want to consider laying down some fibreglass mat first to build it up and reduce the amount of bog. Whilst I think it'd be fine I'd get a couple of layers down to be sure if its a large area. Just remember to prep the hell out of the gel coat.
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

May 08, 2016, 09:01:14 PM
Reply #17

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
Oh. Just reread your post and missed the chop strand remark. Seems like you are on the right track.

October 22, 2017, 05:11:24 AM
Reply #18

RSZELC

• Information Offline
Update on bow diving down at full speed:   Finally had time to fix the hook in the hull on the 75'. 22-2.    It had 3/8 on one side and a 1/4 over 5 feet on the other which was enough to make the boat list on top of nose diving. Felt unsafe.   Results-  worth every minute of laying on my back sanding with a 4ft longboard. Filled mostly with glass. 1-1/2 ounce chop then 24oz. Woven then chop mat wet on wet in the deepest part and polyester putty to level out flat and then 1-1/2oz chop over that whole deal. Very sound job.   End result, rpm went from 6100 to 6500.  I had the prop adjusted to 15-1/4x20 with a lot of cup and got it back down to 6100 at 42mph.  That's with 50gal of gas and myself in the boat. Motor is a Suzuki 175 on a porta bracket. Bow does not dive anymore but rides a little high around 3000. If anyone is up on props on this boat feel free to chime in

October 22, 2017, 07:12:43 PM
Reply #19

theFunsmith

• Information Offline
Thank you for posting your results. I had read about hooks on here, but highly underestimated their effect on the ride and engine behavior. When it comes time to flip mine, I will be paying very close attention.

October 24, 2017, 05:03:17 PM
Reply #20

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
Great result. Well done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal