Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Just curious.......  (Read 1008 times)

November 01, 2006, 09:47:41 PM
Read 1008 times

Mr. Osprey

• Information Offline
Just curious.......
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:47:41 PM »
How many of us Aquasport enthusiasts are not only Aquasport lovers but also fans of Makos? I have to say I thought my 17 Osprey was a great boat but I now like my Mako 19 just as much. Not trying to start a Mako vs. Aquasport war here but I'm just curious as to what people think about owning or using both boats.

My mako is a great boat which is good for watersports but also for offshore fishing. One thing between the 19 foot Aquasports and Makos is the deep vee the mako has. I personally love it at times and hate it at times. Its great when going offshore on the occasion I do so, but also a pain in the ass when I go WOT and the bow doesnt seem to rise outta the water to much. The Aquasports seem to me to be more of an in bay boat for fishing and watersports which is exactly what I need and the mako I have is that with the addtion of a great ride in rough water while the 19-6 Aquasport may have a little more chop to its ride. I do think though that the Aquasports plane off easier because of the shallow draft and moderate size vee.

Anyone got any input on this topic?
Mr. Osprey

1971 Mako 17 Angler
1986 Evinrude 88 SPL

November 02, 2006, 08:37:09 AM
Reply #1

StillKIckn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:37:09 AM »
I to have a Aquasport 170 '76 and love this boat. I like that it can go in swallow water as well as deep water and seems t handle rough water fairlly well ( this is the only boat I have owned ), the only thing I dont like about it is the seating, I have two young children and we are going to out grow this boat fast, I know the size is a very big factor, I have some friends that own mako's (newer ones) that have great seating areas and the ride seems to be great. I have been looking at the mako 212 and the seating and fishing area (the most important hehe) is great. Mako has seemed to take the family into account when designing their boats, To me it seems that this boat would be best in offshore, and I am looking for more an overall fishing boat that can also act as a family toy as well. How do you feel about the mako 212 as a boat for overall handling of different water ways,  most of my family outings are bay, lakes, and rivers (kids to little to take offshore yet in my book). But I have to have my fishing days as well hehe  thanks  kevin
\'76 170 Osprey - 90hp Evin.

November 02, 2006, 08:55:02 AM
Reply #2

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »
I like 'em both. I've owned a 1999 Mako Bay Shark, a 2001 Mako 232, and a 1998 175 Aquasport and now the 1970 222. Loved all of them but I have the boat disease - there's always another boat out there that might be better, faster, wider, more comfortable, better storage, bigger bait well, easier to maintain, trailers better, layed out better, better fit and finish, better lookin', better gas mileage, cooler, rides through through the sloop better, better at anchor, better at drift, shallower runnin', better off-shore. You know how it goes...
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.
Should spash her in the summer.
Just don\'t know which summer.

November 02, 2006, 11:18:32 AM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 11:18:32 AM »
Quote from: "Seadog"
but I have the boat disease - there's always another boat out there that might be better, faster, wider, more comfortable, better storage, bigger bait well, easier to maintain, trailers better, layed out better, better fit and finish, better lookin', better gas mileage, cooler, rides through through the sloop better, better at anchor, better at drift, shallower runnin', better off-shore. You know how it goes...

I'm starting to get that disease too.  I want a bigger boat with a cabin - maybe weekending but not deep sea fishing.... started looking at cruisers initially but that is not a fit for me - too cushy and a fishing pole would look out of place on them.  Then looked at express's - getting closer but must be trailerable and fit in 30 ft of space, to include trailer.   That being said, it looks like a 23-25ft max and there are a bunch of them out there.  A 245 AS Explorer/Express is starting to look good because it has all the "wants" plus good room in the aft.  Don't know anything about Makos in that fit - probably a good boat.
Anyway, I'll still not give up the 170 - she's like flesh and blood after 18 years.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 02, 2006, 05:16:18 PM
Reply #4

Deck Daddy

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:16:18 PM »
I have worked on both and fished them pretty hard. All in all they are both solid boats. I lean toward Aquasports more than the Makos for various reasons. I agree with Seadog you always are looking for the next best thing and what fits your needs at the time or in the future. As long as the owner is happy and feels safe in the boat then all is good.
One boat at a time.

November 02, 2006, 09:01:52 PM
Reply #5

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:01:52 PM »
Don't know anything about Makos in that fit

'88-'89 Mako 248.

It's a WA with 8ft-6in beam, full transom and factory bracketed outboard.
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal