Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 2001 Osprey 225  (Read 117 times)

February 22, 2024, 01:25:19 PM
Read 117 times

gulfcoastangler

• Information Offline
2001 Osprey 225
« on: February 22, 2024, 01:25:19 PM »
Hi All!

I recently joined due to my interest in a 225 Osprey that is up for grabs. I've done a ton of research to familiarize myself, but just wanted to confirm a few things.

First and foremost, the boat looks to be well-kept, albeit it lives on a lift. Decently equipped with newer power. This boat would replace my currently 21' deep V that I'm honestly only moving on from due some issues with the 2 stroke and lack of storage space. Ideally I'd be looking at 25' with twins, but not in the current budget.

I have not approached the seller regarding as survey, which would be by preference. Besides that, I'll obviously be checking thru-hulls, accessories, etc. I wanted to confirm that the 102 gallon tank is poly, as my guess would be that aluminum would be ready for replacement. Additionally, it would appear that there's no wood in the transom, but with the heavy 4 stroke on there (the heaviest one on the market for its size), I'm wondering if any issues given I'm sure it had a 2 stroke before. Lastly, I've read about concerns with soft spots, particular near the console. How common is this?

One more thing - I plan to use this up to 70 miles out in the northern gulf. My current rig has great flare and 21 degree deadrise. This hull appears to have no flair and slightly less deadrise. I'm wondering if anyone has experience running their rig in the same environment as I do. I believe these handle the swells better than the quick chop that we get here in the upper GoM. I typically only go on 1' days, sometimes 2' if the forecast calls for going down during the day. Not expecting a 24 LOA mono hull to get me out in 3 footers at 5 seconds, but don't want to be drenched if its anything other than a pond either.

I'd appreciate any and all insight!

Thanks

February 28, 2024, 11:03:51 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: 2001 Osprey 225
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 11:03:51 AM »
The 225 models, both Osprey and EX had poly tanks starting around 1994 but....

Aqua decided to eliminate the "screw down coffin cover" for a molded in place with the deck design. This makes tank replacement somewhat more difficult in that you will need to cut the deck to access the tank. That piece is usually used to create a new cover either screw down or glassed back into place.

Deck soft spots are caused from water entering the deck through penetrations where things like a leaning post have been attached to the deck. The balsa wood filler softens over time as it absorbs the water.

Cannot speak for the additional engine weight but the transom is touted as composite.

Aquas are known for many things but a dry ride isn't one.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal