Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1970's 170 Rebuild General Questions  (Read 160 times)

January 31, 2024, 10:14:05 PM
Read 160 times

NH_salty

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
1970's 170 Rebuild General Questions
« on: January 31, 2024, 10:14:05 PM »
Hi all - I have been scouring this site for months now after purchasing my first 170.  I was told it was a 1971 but between the below deck gas tank and the stern cleat cutouts, I believe it may be newer than that.

It had a soft deck and was missing the coffin cover when I purchased it so I knew I was in for a deck replacement.  I have started that project and have uncovered a few things I am looking for input on. 

First off - I have it in my mind that it will be easier to cannibalize the liner and create a flat open deck by removing the front casting platform and tying the deck into the hull than it will be to try and put the floor back into the liner.  I have seen a few examples of this but I wanted to hear from you all if you know of any issues that can arise from this that I may not be thinking of. 

Second - If I decide to not chop up the liner - is there a way to replace the transom from the inside without removing the molded sections on the top of the gunnel cap on the left and right - I suspect they would be rather difficult to line up for reinstallation after they have been removed.

Third - I plan on re-foaming the stringers and fixing a few sections of delamination but I am undecided on the re-foaming sections outside of the stringers.  If I remove the front casting deck I will want to create a few storage boxes in the hull which means the less foam taking up space the better - however I want this boat to be buoyant, stable, and safe as I fish the northeast from April to October.  Has anyone here laid a flat deck and utilized open hull space between stringers for boxes instead of foam? 

I have attached a few photos of my progress.  Any advice is appreciated.   
Cheers

February 01, 2024, 05:59:20 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 1970's 170 Rebuild General Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 05:59:20 AM »
Sure brings back memories of my rebuild.

You boat is at least a '72.  That's when they started the cleat cut outs in the aft and the tank below the floor.

If you haven't already found my rebuild here is a link https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.0 - you'll find a lot of your answers and some ideas.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal