Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Windscreen Care and Replacement Grommets  (Read 431 times)

May 08, 2014, 10:36:56 AM
Read 431 times

daniel123

• Information Offline
Windscreen Care and Replacement Grommets
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
I removed the smoke-colored windscreen off my Osprey 200 to try to clean it up. It's hazed and has areas with the fine-cracked pattern that is common with older plexiglass exposed to the sun, which aren't actually cracks through the panel, but on the surface. I can actually make them pretty much go away temporarily by wiping them down with clear silicone lubricant gel and letting it sit overnight (which I learned by accident while using the stuff to get a better seal on suction-cup mounts for an accessory tray) but they come back after a couple weeks. What's the latest advice/product for removing haze and etching on plexi panels?  I also need the black rubber grommets that insert into he mounting screw holes. Do we have a source for those?

May 08, 2014, 10:42:58 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Windscreen Care and Replacement Grommets
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »
Can't help with the crazing though a Google search will uncover a multitude of product claims. You just need to try some though I believe once you screen has reached that stage, replacement is probably the best solution if it bother you.

As far as the grommets go, I purchased replacements for my CCP windscreen from a plastics manufacturer in Ft. Lauderdale years ago. I would give our windscreen builder (in the Resource forum) a call and see if they can supply same.

viewtopic.php?p=17089#p17089

They may also have some input on the crazing.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 08, 2014, 11:42:45 AM
Reply #2

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
UPD will not sell the grommets, trust me I have tried! I found some nylon round spacers in the hardware section at Lowe's and so far these have worked great. Plus they are cheap! I believe I used the 3/8 inch ones one inch in diameter. Lowe's part number is 137089.

Back to the crazing, I sell a product that protects your car from rock chips. My windshield in my boat was in the same condition as yours. I applied this material which is a urethane self adhesive film to the front to keep bugs off when we tow. Once I got it on there I realized that at least half of the crazing had disappeared. I have yet to put it on the rear portion but since I have the windshield off I will be doing that very soon. The material is very resilient and evidently has the property to fill in the crazing as you described. You will need to remove the silicone product for it to stick well.
Here is a link to their website. give them a call and see if there is a distributor in your area.

http://www.durashield-plus.com/
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

May 08, 2014, 12:52:47 PM
Reply #3

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
Daniel,

Plastics America here it Tampa sells them individually. You may want to call them and see if they will ship you some if you are not here locally.  They also have a plexi polish that will remove fine imperfections and scratches which would likely take care of your windshield.  In addition, Flitz markets a product for the same issue.

http://www.plasticsamerica.com/

B
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

May 08, 2014, 04:32:40 PM
Reply #4

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:32:40 PM »
Thanks, guys. I have inquires in to all. I was told by a pro boat/RV detailer that Maguire's headlamp restoration kits are the best for that purpose AND for plexi windscreen hazing/cracks. I may give it a try. I'll stop by Lowe's too and see if they have those grommets.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal