Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 99 Evinrude 150 Repower scenario  (Read 732 times)

February 07, 2007, 07:37:26 PM
Read 732 times

ralpht44

• Information Offline
99 Evinrude 150 Repower scenario
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:26 PM »
I am hoping the experts can chime in here. I found a motor in Maryland. The motor was removed and placed in storage in 2002. It has very low hours (33) and was winterized professionally in 2002. My question is, do you think it is a gamble being it has been sitting for 5 years? I can get a terrific deal on it as the owner passed away when it was stored. The widow just wants to get rid of it as she is selling everything and moving. I am repowering my 19'6" and came across this through a friend. Thoughts?

February 07, 2007, 08:47:10 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:47:10 PM »
Sounds like a great opportunity!  Be a good motor for the 19-6.

Before committing, do a compression test if feasible. Good pressure readings should be within 10%.  Dribble a little oil out of the lower unit lower drain plug.  If no water, all's well... buy it.  While you're checking the oil, if the motor is still sitting where it's been stored, glance at the floor under the prop to see if there is an oily spot there.  If there is, the gear case should be pressure-tested... a good precaution for any "unknown" motor.

Plan on rebuilding the carbs after you get it home.  Although the motor is low hours, the gas in the carbs. isn't.  Rebuilding's an easy job.  Use O.E.M. parts & pick up the manufacturer's service manual for the how-to.  If the plugs look clean, they're good.

There may be a few other minor things which might crop-up but basicially you should have a solid motor.

Please post some pictures and let the group know how you made out.

OOPS! almost forgot... definitely replace the water pump impeller.  The rubber will have cracked or taken a "set" from sitting idle.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal