You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: looking at a rebuild....  (Read 680 times)

November 28, 2010, 12:07:19 AM
Read 680 times

jsakat1

• Information Offline
looking at a rebuild....
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:07:19 AM »
I have an 87, 170 striper I am thinking of rebuilding. I guess if I have to open the tank, I might as well rebuild the floors. I have a soft spot on the starboard front, before the lockers. in front of the livewell.

I am looking to do the deck and transom. Does anyone have ideas as to prices for supplies, quantities, and places in South Florida to buy supplies. Any advice. Anyone in South Florida that can share advice and ideas.

My goal is to redo the deck with a foam core material like divynilcell if its not too pricey, or a good marine plywood. Furthermore, I want to seacast the transom and build a splash guard to keep the water from flooding. Any advice and help would be great...I do look at the rebuild pictures. Is this something I could finish over a teacher vacation break or a couple of months?
1987 170 Striper

November 29, 2010, 11:43:34 AM
Reply #1

dbiscayne

• Information Offline
Re: looking at a rebuild....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »
You're talking about a lot of work there, what kind of area do you have to do all this in?  Covered garage?  Back yard?  Time to finish is dependant on your level of experience & if you have to work outside, not piss off the neighbors, etc.  For everything you mentioned a couple months would probably go by real quick.
Foam core deck materials are nice when done right, it's a little more work and you need to plan for any future installs to the deck (seats, leaning post, etc., can't put a screw into it without a backing plate) but on a boat that size you probably won't have that issue.  You also won't save that much weight by just doing the deck in foam core on a boat that size, you'll save some but at a pretty good cost increase.  Good plywood prepped right will last a really long time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal