You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Jack Plate vs Portabracket vs Floatation bracket with Bob's  (Read 1372 times)

July 13, 2008, 11:31:04 AM
Read 1372 times

waterdoc

• Information Offline
Title should have said Floatation Bracket with Bob's Jack Plate.

I've been getting a bit more confused the more I read so I'm looking for some real world advice from those who have used any of the above and what you'd recommend.

What I've learned thus far is that transom clearance is an issue with regard to tilting the engine if only a 10 or 12 inch jack plate is used unless the engine is raised to the full upright position on the jack plate. I've never had the situation where I've needed to trim my engine to the full upright position while running so I'm not too sure why this is such a concern (other than the potential for accidentally crushing the engine cowling/transom). This is the lowest cost alternative.

Second option is the Porta Bracket. Several folks seem to love these. Others have some concerns over stress to the transom and handling issues. Certainly more expensive than the Bob's Jack Plate but does eliminate the worry about engine/transom clearance.

Third option is a floatation bracket with a jack plate. As an example, take a look at this item on Ebay (Item number: 270236873008). This would give much more set back than the Portabracket. It would also give me a built in swim platform with the ability to add a recessed swim ladder. The cost would be just a bit more than the portabracket. I don't know what this set up would do to the handling characteristics of the boat (67 flatback) or the dynamics with regard to the stress on the transom compared to a portabracket.

Can anyone clear up my confusion????? If cost wasn't the overriding concern, what set up would you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

July 13, 2008, 02:23:30 PM
Reply #1

slippery73

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »
Least stress would be fixed bracket as shown because it spans entire transom. Flotation added would probably just negate the heavier weight compared to porta. Handling will be the same on any of them as its still moving engine weight beyond transom and creating a leverage point. Only thing gained with bracket is the swim platform and probably will be stronger. You are adding a lot more holes to the transom, possible leak points, and weight. Although the flotation will displace the static floating weight you are still having to push that weight forward once underway. Albeit miniscule still something to consider with fuel prices.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal