Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1977 Aquasport Center Console Restortion  (Read 914 times)

July 04, 2011, 02:02:16 PM
Read 914 times

outnumbered

• Information Offline
1977 Aquasport Center Console Restortion
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
Hello Everyone,
Im new to this site and just thinking of restoring a 1977 Aquasport Center Console. Does anyone know what the major problems are with this style boat? The floor seems to be solid and the transome if solid but i dont know if this year is foam filled like the 1972 19Foot cuddy cabin i have and if the 1977 is Foam filled does you know how i can access the foam to see if it has a signs of water damage? The Small boat that i have now leans to the starboard side and i dont want to run into the same problems with this one.
Thank You for any help you could give me.

July 05, 2011, 09:06:45 AM
Reply #1

slvrlng

• Information Offline
Re: 1977 Aquasport Center Console Restortion
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:06:45 AM »
First off welcome aboard!

What size hull do you have?

The stringers on all Aquasports were foam filled fiberglass. Some hulls had a small amount of foam on the outside of the stringers but not enough to be a structural part of the hull. It was there more for displacement of water so if the hull was filled with water it would float upright. The foam used at that time was a open cell structure so if exposed to water it would and still could become saturated. The only way to remove the water is remove the foam. The only way to see if it is wet is drill small holes at the bottom of the stringers and see what happens. If soaked the shavings will be wet and the hole will slowly weep water out. If its dry just seal the holes back.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal