Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Caveat Emptor  (Read 19526 times)

February 07, 2009, 06:15:54 PM
Read 19526 times

Laz

• Information Offline
Caveat Emptor
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »
EDIT: Below are edited/merged threads by the Forum Moderator; 19 December 2010

For those Members who wish to buy (or sell) on the internet, please take time to read through (if you haven't already) this collection of posts (two threads). They illustrate how a "sweet deal" can go sour in a hurry.

First off, I'm not posting these as a knock on the members mentioned. Their misfortune can and probably has visited many of us in the past but rather as a guideline for any and all members searching for that dream Aquasport. I hope it also encourages members to utilize the limited but informational resources we have on this Forum concerning these classic boats and to feel free to ask for help in making any kind of purchase or installation. I can only speak for myself but I honestly feel there are many other members that would respond in kind, that I will be more than happy to visit a prospective "find" in my area and offer a thorough evaluation of same.

Above all, use common sense and your better judgment no matter how hard it pulls at your emotional heartstrings.

Good luck and remember half the fun is in the hunt.
:thumleft:

PS.... If anyone has mixed feelings about these posts or comments, please PM me and I'll respond to your concerns.
Thanks.

Capt. Bob :mrgreen:

Begin edited/merged threads.  :salut:

A few weeks ago I purchased, or thought I had, a 75 hull from Thomas70 on this forum.  I sent him the money and worked out an arrangement with him to have the boat delivered to me here in Fl.  Originally I was going to go up and get the boat but things didn't work out.  So, I called him to cancel the purchase and this is when he offered to bring the boat to me.  He said he had to run to Vero to pick up another boat and I was assuming it was worked related since he says he owns Anderson Yacht Co. on Conowingo, Md.  He told me that he was waiting for the owner of that boat to get the check and that he was planning on coming to Fl. this weekend and I would be able to meet him in either Vero Bch. or outside of Tampa.  In the meantime, he cashed the check I sent him for the boat.  I have been calling and texting him but he has yet to return either.  

I'm hoping at this point that Mr. Aaron Anderson, Thomas70, maybe got into a car accident explaining why he hasn't called me.  If anyone on this forum or the ClassicMako forum knows how I might get in touch with him I would appreciate it.  

Maybe I misunderstood him about coming into Fl. this weekend with the boat for me.  If I have, my bad!  But, I would think a return call would be nice to let me know one way or the other.

If any one has any suggestions or any means as to how I would be able to get in touch with him, I would appreciate the info.  Feel free to give me a call @727-515-3416.  I like to not think that I'm out the $1000 that I paid him for it.  

Thomas70, if you read this please call me so that I can make other arrangements to get the hull or my money back!

February 08, 2009, 07:22:03 AM
Reply #1

Thomas70

• Information Offline
Re: Help! Looking for Thomas70
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »
Tom I told you I was waiting for the buyer to get a check from the bank to send to the seller of the boat in Vero. He did not get that squared away yet, I told you I thought I was coming but not positive, I wound up going to Michigan to pick up a boat for a customer I left friday mornig and got home late last night, with my phone laying on the counter where I had mistakenly left it friday morning. I do not appreciate this, I had a place lined up in N.C. and ready to leave to bring you the boat before when you called me the day before and cancelled. Then you stopped payment on the check and my truck payments got returned. I do this stuff for a living and am not in the business to rip people off. The sale of this boat was not with the stipulation I deliver it anywhere, and I turned away other buyers becuase I had already spoke with you and you told me you would take it, maybe prematurely on your part. I will send your money back to you this week.
Aaron Anderson

February 18, 2009, 06:06:59 PM
Reply #2

Laz

• Information Offline
Re: Help! Looking for Thomas70
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »
Update, I have yet to receive the money like you said.  I text you last week and you said it was sent out on Wednesday.  It has been one week since you said you sent it and the money has yet to arrive.  You have now posted the boat back on CraigsList for sale and have not answered any of my other messages requesting the money or allowing me to make other arrangements to get the boat hull.  I am curious as to how you can attempt to sell the boat hull when I have yet to receive my money?  Either send me the money or call me so I can get the hull.  I would appreciate a call ASAP!

February 23, 2009, 05:45:07 PM
Reply #3

Laz

• Information Offline
Re: Help! Looking for Thomas70 Update!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:45:07 PM »
Continuing, I got a text from Thomas70 last Thursday while he is in Cabo...probably spending my $1000, that the check was left on his wife's secretarys desk and wasn't sent out.  However, it was supposed to have been sent out that day.  Figured should have arrived today... it didn't!

Reason I'm posting all this is too show you that just because someone is all over these sites and you think they're trustworthy, they may not be.  This gentleman owns a business, has posted all over this site and ClassicMako and look what I'm going through.  He continues to tell me he is sending the money but I haven't seen it yet.  I have other options, legal, that I can pursue but I was just hoping to resolve it before it were to get to that point.

February 26, 2009, 08:43:44 PM
Reply #4

Laz

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:43:44 PM »
So, I gave Mr. Anderson another opportunity to send me the money.  After he sent me the text saying his wife put it on the sec's desk and forgotten about that it got sent out that Friday had never arrived.  Again, I've tried calling Mr. Anderson, Anderson Yacht in Conowingo, Md., and his cell number goes straight to voice mail.  Sure he is call screening me.  Sent two texts along with e's to him which also weren't replied.  I have simply told him that the check didn't arrive and again, if he doesn't want to send me the money to allow me an opportunity to get the hull.  At this point not sure it exists even though it's posted on CraigsList (Delaware listing).  I haven't gotten any response from him.

I will be filing a police report locally since once he posted the boat for sale on CraigsList again this went from a civil matter to a criminal matter, Intent to Defraud.  After that, I will hand deliver a copy to the Howard County Police Dept. in Conowingo and stop by Mr. Anderson's Yacht Company to personally meet him.  

I do like his post above where he mentions, "I do this stuff for a living and am not in the business to rip people off."  So far, that's exactly what he is doing!

February 26, 2009, 11:10:35 PM
Reply #5

flkeysaqua

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:10:35 PM »
Wow hope everything works out for you in the end keep us posted
73 19-6 w/140 Evinrude

February 27, 2009, 07:45:00 AM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
Laz, he posted this above:
Quote from: "Thomas70"
Then you stopped payment on the check and my truck payments got returned.
So, did you stop payment, thus him not getting the money "really" (I've never stopped payment on a check - so forgive my ignorance on this)?  Could this be why he's not responding?

I'm not defending either side, believe me. Has anyone else had problems with him on other sites?
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

February 27, 2009, 12:54:26 PM
Reply #7

gw204

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:54:26 PM »
Quote from: "RickK"
Laz, he posted this above:
So, did you stop payment, thus him not getting the money "really" (I've never stopped payment on a check - so forgive my ignorance on this)?  Could this be why he's not responding?

That's a good point.  If you truly did place a stop payment before the check hit your account and funds were withdrawn, then he owe's you nothing.
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1981 Mako 17
1986 Grady White 227

February 28, 2009, 08:55:30 AM
Reply #8

Laz

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
Maybe I should have mentioned that when I called to cancel the deal because I was unable to make the trip up, I did cancel that check because it didn't want that check floating around out there trusting that he would either send it back or rip it up.  Who wouldn't? When the new deal was worked out I told him to hold the check and not to cash it until it was a definate he was coming down to Fl. to pick up that other boat.

After speaking he said he was coming to Fl. to pick up another boat he offered, not me,  to bring the hull down meeting him in Vero Bch.to pick it up.  I agreed and called HIS bank along with going to my bank to reinstate the check.  Another check needed to be issued.  He told me that he needed the money to make his truck payment(s) and wanted me to overnight a check since his bank wouldn't take my credit card, nor would Thomas70 because he told me he didn't want to have to pay the credit card fees.  He never mentioned his truck payments bounced because of that nor did his bank.  He only said he needed the money to make his truck payements that were due.  It wasn't mentioned till he posted on here.  I immediately overnighted a check to him which he cashed that day upon receiving it.  Regardless, if that is why he's keeping the money he should call me and discuss those fees if he had any and I would not have a problem working that out with him.  But, not returning my calls requesting the money back or allowing me to get the hull is wrong!  

So are you saying, MY BAD, and he should just keep the money because he was relying on my $1000 to make his truck payments even before the hull been given to me?  I'll give him his "bounced check fees" if there are any.  Show me proof but give me the rest of my money back or the hull after that.  I was looking forward to rebuilding an AS and this experience has about put an end to that desire!

What about his quote above saying that he would return the money?  I did file a Fraud report yesterday with the local Police Dept. and they also agreed.  I told them about the first check being stopped which made no difference to them.

GW204, what do you mean he owes me nothing?  I paid for a hull? He should keep the money and not give me the hull?  $1000 for bounced check fees?

Rick, I don't know if anyone else has had any problems with him.

March 01, 2009, 06:45:48 PM
Reply #9

gw204

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »
Quote from: "Laz"
GW204, what do you mean he owes me nothing?  I paid for a hull? He should keep the money and not give me the hull?  $1000 for bounced check fees?

No, I'm not saying that at all (nor am I taking sides).  My comments were based on your initial post where you talked about only 1 check being issued and  1 check cancelled.  Your new post outlines a different situation.

I've spoke with Aaron a few times via phone and email.  I got the impression he's a good guy.  I know he is on several other forums and appears to be well respected.  There's got to be some logical explanation...
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1981 Mako 17
1986 Grady White 227

March 02, 2009, 11:44:43 AM
Reply #10

Laz

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
GW,

Sorry that I possibly came across as a little.......pi**ed off, I am!  Nothing against you but this just has been very frustrating.  I wished there was a reasonable explanation!  I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've called him or text him to possibly put an end to this with either him sending me the money back or just letting me come get the boat hull.  I have still yet to receive any calls back.  Even last Friday I left a message on his phone again saying I would be more then willing to work something out and still no return call.  

I would think that if anyone does any business with him in the future they might take a look at this situation with him that I'm in and make a reasonable decision based on it.  Again, the police have taken the report and have, or will be, faxing it up to the PD in the city that Aaron lives in.  Also, CraigsList has started investigating on-line frauds as does EBAY and the same information will be passed onto them.

March 04, 2009, 02:14:06 PM
Reply #11

Laz

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »
I've noticed that his reposting of the boat hull on CraigsList is no longer on.  I am curious if he's sold my hull...oops!  I mean the hull he had also sold me and won't return my money on..Hopefully, nobody on this forum after reading my troubles purchased it from him.

March 04, 2009, 08:42:35 PM
Reply #12

Marcq

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
Don't let go Laz, I hope you learn from it

Marc..
1979 170 Aquasport 70hp Evinrude

March 05, 2009, 07:28:46 PM
Reply #13

Laz

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 07:28:46 PM »
Thanks Marcq!  

Thought I would try this one more time.  Aaron, please give me a call so we can discuss arrangements for me to get the boat hull or my money back.

Let's see if he answers this.  He answered my original post pretty quickly so maybe he might again to save face as to the fact that he doesn't do business like this.......

March 05, 2009, 09:14:32 PM
Reply #14

Marcq

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »
Laz, look for him at The Hull Truth forum, he as been a member there since 2005. The internet is such a small world :)

Come on Thomas70 !!

Marc..
1979 170 Aquasport 70hp Evinrude

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal