You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Gas Tanks in Aquasport Picnic Launch 24' built in 1974  (Read 1311 times)

August 19, 2008, 12:20:57 PM
Read 1311 times

CharlieS

• Information Offline
Gas Tanks in Aquasport Picnic Launch 24' built in 1974
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
I have a 24' Aquasport that has a right console and lots of open seating foward along both sides. We've put a new MercCruiser 235 to replace the old OMC, and have replaced many plumbing and electrical items.

Now the question is whether to rip up the floor and replace the gas tanks 40 gla and 76 gal. I don't know if the previous owner made this change, but I doubt it. There are no signs of leaking or any problems. Any advice?

August 19, 2008, 12:44:54 PM
Reply #1

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
My Two cents
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
I have a '73 Aquasport 22-2 and not once did I think about checking the 62 gallon tank, until it failed on me. Not to scare you, but this is what I found when I pulled up the deck:

Yea my tank looks totally rusted and stuff on the top right? I dont even want to see the bottom. If you dont think the tank has been replaced, I suggest checking and replacing it if necessary because mine failed while I was out in the ocean, close to shore  luckily, and my buddy had to tow me in.
Stock 1973 222 Open Fisherman
\'87 Evinrude 140hp V4 (with VRO)
"Floor it"

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/C ... mview=grid

August 19, 2008, 02:56:21 PM
Reply #2

CharlieS

• Information Offline
Re: My Two cents
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
Quote from: "compcrasher86"
I have a '73 Aquasport 22-2 and not once did I think about checking the 62 gallon tank, until it failed on me. Not to scare you, but this is what I found when I pulled up the deck:

Yea my tank looks totally rusted and stuff on the top right? I dont even want to see the bottom. If you dont think the tank has been replaced, I suggest checking and replacing it if necessary because mine failed while I was out in the ocean, close to shore  luckily, and my buddy had to tow me in.

Many thanks, compcrasher86- sobering. What was the original tank made of- stainless steel?

August 19, 2008, 03:09:13 PM
Reply #3

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
Tank
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:09:13 PM »
I beleive it was made of alluminum. And alluminum tanks usually do not rust, as long as they are not constantly in contact with water. My tank was probably exposed to high bilge water levels because the previous owner did not have a bilge pump installed. Either way, its still a good idea to replace it.

Besides, my tank was also warped on the top so that is probably not good either, anyways Im getting a new one over the winter. If you do decide to check on or replace the tank below your deck, tell me what kind of condition your tank(s) are in, I'm curious

And not that I suggest using a tank in such bad condition as mine, but my rusty ol' tank still works, it just has some old fuel that got clogged in the feed lines. Its my excuse to buy a new one though so I'm going for it.
Stock 1973 222 Open Fisherman
\'87 Evinrude 140hp V4 (with VRO)
"Floor it"

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/C ... mview=grid

August 19, 2008, 03:29:56 PM
Reply #4

CharlieS

• Information Offline
Re: Tank
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
Quote from: "compcrasher86"
I beleive it was made of alluminum. And alluminum tanks usually do not rust, as long as they are not constantly in contact with water. My tank was probably exposed to high bilge water levels because the previous owner did not have a bilge pump installed. Either way, its still a good idea to replace it.

Besides, my tank was also warped on the top so that is probably not good either, anyways Im getting a new one over the winter. If you do decide to check on or replace the tank below your deck, tell me what kind of condition your tank(s) are in, I'm curious

And not that I suggest using a tank in such bad condition as mine, but my rusty ol' tank still works, it just has some old fuel that got clogged in the feed lines. Its my excuse to buy a new one though so I'm going for it.

Many thanks again. Very helpful. I'll let you know what I find.

August 23, 2008, 08:21:05 PM
Reply #5

Mad Dog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:21:05 PM »
I ordered my new fuel tank from here http://www.speedytanks.com/home.html.

Here is a good article on crevice corrosion and how to install tanks to last much longer.

http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/fueltank.htm

MD  :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal