You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 222 FF Steering Replacement  (Read 119 times)

August 08, 2022, 03:01:24 PM
Read 119 times

WakoNako

• Information Offline
222 FF Steering Replacement
« on: August 08, 2022, 03:01:24 PM »
This weekend I had to replace the steering on my 222FF

Originally, I tried to hire a mobile mechanic to do it for me, but he was a no-show so I decided to tackle it myself.

Using the "how long of a cable do i need" diagram I found with the Dometic cable link on Amazon, I ordered the 20' set up. My cable was so worn I couldn't get the length off it. Turned out I should of ordered an 18' length.
I cut an access hatch through the cabin wall, into the back side of the helm console so I had easier access and I am SOOO glad I did. Trying to do everything laying on my back and reaching up into the bottom of the helm would of sucked. Especially as all my gauge wiring was zip tied to the steer cable.
Once I got the old cable disconnected from the gear box, I took the old system off the boat, and installed the new one that came with the cable and hooked up the steering wheel. Tied a fish line to the old cable and pulled it backwards and out of the boat.
Ran the new cable through the small hole to the right of the main wire chase hatch and started running it forward. Ended up ditching the fish line as it got tangled up new the fuel hose, but I was able to reach through my new access, and through the helm between the walls on the side of the boat and was able to reach the cable.
Ran the cable through the new box, spun the wheel and that was that.

Steering now runs perfectly, even with cutting in and installing the new access hatch and taking multiple breaks cause Florida... its hot. Had the whole thing wrapped up in less than 3hrs. Picked up grease today so I can grease the new cable end and will get it greased before getting the boat wet Saturday

Bonus, I know i will have to redo my transom in the not too distant future so plan to repower and add a bracket at the same time so the extra length of cable will come in handy.
1977 Aquasport Family Fisher 222
2016 Evinrude 115hp Etec

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal