Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Nidabond pour in stringers??  (Read 950 times)

July 27, 2013, 11:57:33 PM
Read 950 times

captseasick

• Information Offline
Nidabond pour in stringers??
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:57:33 PM »
So I think Im gonna eand up with that 270 xf and want to redue the whole boat... Im sure after 30 years the stringer foam is soaked and needs replacement... or does it? can you just leave the wet foam in with no problems??? If I take the foam out what do yall think about pouring in Nida-bond to make the stingers much much stronger and stiffer???  I think that it will make for a stronger boat.  Anyone done this?? or hear of any problems with doing this.... any info whould be great from acutal use.. Thanks!!

July 28, 2013, 12:25:58 AM
Reply #1

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: Nidabond pour in stringers??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »
The bigger they got... in conjuction with later production... the better the stringers. Our 222 CCP members report  minimal issues with their stringer systems, other than external tabbing breaking loose near the transom...and that isn't the norm.

If you're concerned about waterlogged stringers on your 27....jack up the bow this winter, and drill a 3/8ths inch hole low as possible in the inboard arse end of each stringer in the bilge....and see what comes out.

Aquasport ended up with a beefcake stringer system. We've had CCP rebuilds lately...the guys weren't even addressing the stringers. They weren't pierced from the top, therefore weren't leaking or waterlogged.

A complete stringer rebuild on your 27 would also entail a new deck..while she's ripped apart may as well do the transom too...Heavy money when she's de-rigged, gutted, rebuilt, motors reinstalled, re-rigged, new wiring, pumps, paint, etc, etc, etc. As they say, time is money.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:

Shoot us some pics. Good luck :thumright:

July 28, 2013, 12:36:13 AM
Reply #2

captseasick

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »
Good to know about the stringers!! I would like to point out that the 270 xf's entire deck unscrews and lifts out the boat all the way up to the cabin.  Stood in one last month and noted that.. loved it even... makes working on the motors below deck alot easier!  Cant wait to get the girl and rebuild her.  I figure ill hve 4k in rebuilding the motors and I have read that the v-drives are about 400 to rebuild your self too(each)... after that make sure the rest of the running gear is good and props balanced.  Then new paint top and bottom and deck.  Want her to be almost brandnew when finished.  It also appears that the bow and transom are all fiberglass so shouldnt be any rot... please correct me if im wrong.

July 28, 2013, 12:42:02 AM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »
Quote from: "captseasick"
Good to know about the stringers!! I would like to point out that the 270 xf's entire deck unscrews and lifts out the boat all the way up to the cabin.  Stood in one last month and noted that.. loved it even... makes working on the motors below deck alot easier!  Cant wait to get the girl and rebuild her.  I figure ill hve 4k in rebuilding the motors and I have read that the v-drives are about 400 to rebuild your self too(each)... after that make sure the rest of the running gear is good and props balanced.  Then new paint top and bottom and deck.  Want her to be almost brandnew when finished.  It also appears that the bow and transom are all fiberglass so shouldnt be any rot... please correct me if im wrong.

Great that you have a plan, and can do the work yourself. Serious money saved.

Post some pics....that 27 is a smoker :thumright:

July 28, 2013, 09:25:43 PM
Reply #4

captseasick

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
I will hopfully soon!!  The Admiral (wife) wants the boat painted Tiffanys blue after i finish everything else up... conditon for  buying the boat.... she also wants a hard top and encloser and yes im very thankful for being able to do all the work myself... I think my Dad for that... growing up rebuilding racecar motors and trannys gave me a solid foundation with mechanics and I self taught fiberglassing years and years ago..... but will def. need alot of help with pic,ing the right materials for marine application so I look forward to all the expert advise that expect from owners of the best boat ever made... AQUASPORTS! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal