Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Junk Drawers - looking for a cable  (Read 547 times)

March 08, 2013, 06:04:05 PM
Read 547 times

126andy

• Information Offline
    • http://www.afteryoufishing.com
Junk Drawers - looking for a cable
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:04:05 PM »
I don't know for sure if this is the section for this but it is electronics so I'm giving this a try. Does anyone have an old Unit to PC data cable for a Garmin 182cGPSMAP in their junk drawers of things they may need someday but never do? I'm also looking for the Garmin Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD  so I can set the waypoints at home and load them into the Garmin and also update the firmware on the unit.  I know this is an old unit and people have replaced them because they either updated or they broke but they may still have the cable around somewhere. Thanks
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory\'s not as sharp as it used to be.

March 08, 2013, 07:17:55 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Junk Drawers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »
Hi Andy,
I have a 188c as I mentioned before.  It came with the base map and I bought the southeast on a proprietary thumbdrive (best way to describe it - like a precursor to the usb drive) and it "lives" behind a little door on the bottom right of the unit.  Is this the same as yours?
Well, I got it home and found out I couldn't retrieve tracks or waypoints from that storage device so I took the storage unit back to where I bought it and bought the Blue charts for this area and a blank storage device and cable.
You can go to Gamin and download the Garmin Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD but it won't do you any good if you don't have a writable storage device (at least I think the preloaded is locked and blank storage media are different).
So the question is now do you have a preloaded storage device?  Lift the door and pull it out, look at it and see if it's marked.  If it is they may have locked it.
Check that out and let me know.
Here is the Garmin site - support http://www.garmin.com/us/support/#/{e4ffca20-b9c8-11de-73d6-000000000000}/{28e21b60-b9cb-11de-73d6-000000000000}
Btw, please go into your User control panel and enter your location, it'll appear under your name.  We may be right down the street from each other and I wouldn't know.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

March 08, 2013, 10:33:50 PM
Reply #2

126andy

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
Rick--I have a Garmin Bluechart card MUS004R New York 2001
This unit is older thats why I wanted to try to find a data cable so I could update the 3.0 firmware. I will update my profile  Thanks

March 09, 2013, 07:52:52 AM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:52:52 AM »
This "card" is behind the flip up door in the bottom right and is removeable right?
I don't think you can change anything on that storage device, i.e write to it.  That's why I took mine back and bought the kit.
I'm not sure how you'd update the firmware - the cable I have is for communicating with the storage device.  Tell me more about your plan.
If you can update the firmware using that cable you can borrow mine.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

March 09, 2013, 09:07:43 AM
Reply #4

126andy

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
Thanks Rick I'll let you know. I found a cable that I think will work on ebay so I'll wait and give that a shot when it gets here. I figure that I should probably try to upgrade the 3.0 firmwhere because I think the're up to 5.0 or something so I guess there were some changes.

March 09, 2013, 09:33:29 AM
Reply #5

jcaesar625

• Information Offline
  • FL - North Area
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
I have the Garmin card reader for the pc. To put waypoints on your unit from your PC, you have to load them onto a blank garmin data card (the old sytle) using the pc card reader, and then put them in the unit where  you maps card goes. On your unit you then choose to load them from the card.  One problem with the card reader is that Garmin never came out with Vista/Win7 drivers for it, so you have to use it on an old machine with XP.

Here is a photo of the data card you would nee

and here is the reader I have

I replaced my old garmin unit, and no longer need the reader if you need it.

March 18, 2013, 10:33:40 PM
Reply #6

126andy

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
Quote from: "RickK"
This "card" is behind the flip up door in the bottom right and is removeable right?
I don't think you can change anything on that storage device, i.e write to it.  That's why I took mine back and bought the kit.
I'm not sure how you'd update the firmware - the cable I have is for communicating with the storage device.  Tell me more about your plan.
If you can update the firmware using that cable you can borrow mine.
Rick I'm getting closer on updating the firmware. I got the cable, it has the connection for the back of the Garmin but the end where I thought was a usb plug was one of those mini usb plugs. I'm going to hit BestBuy or Radio Shack tomorrow and see if they have or even make an adapter for the mini plug to a standard usb plug. I'm sure they must.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal