Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: What kind of resin  (Read 1247 times)

January 14, 2006, 01:44:27 PM
Read 1247 times

Anonymous

What kind of resin
« on: January 14, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
Hi All

After looking through this web site and seeing the great work you all  are doing I may attemp a restoration myself. My question is are you guys using epoxy or polyester resin when redoing transoms, floors, etc. I have just finished building a small garvey with epoxy and believe it is superior to polyester. The bond strengh is stronger and sticks to plywood better. I just wanted to get your opinions  and pros and cons of both resins.

Thanks
Bob

January 14, 2006, 02:13:15 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 02:13:15 PM »
I'm no expert but here is my two cents.

I agree that epoxy is probably stronger and gives great bonding.  I try to avoid epoxy any place that poly may have to bond to it later.  Poly to epoxy is not a good thing.  I find epoxy easier to use because if one uses one of the "systems" like West Systems, the pumps make measuring easy.  I never get the mix right with poly and it either kicks off before I'm done or else it takes two days to cure.  That's all I'm going to say because I am still an amateur.   :wink:

Good luck.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

January 14, 2006, 03:34:46 PM
Reply #2

DEFIANT

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 03:34:46 PM »
I agree with John Jones, Epoxy seems to bond well to polyester but not vice versa. Also epoxy does not have the strong smell of polyester.

January 14, 2006, 06:43:20 PM
Reply #3

Reasons

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 06:43:20 PM »
Epoxy will bond to poly , poly will not bond to epoxy. stay with the compatable product and use the poly for repair work. Epoxy is much more in price and the poly wont cause problems if someone has to do a future repair. As for deck repairs coat the back side and edges with epoxy if you must! leaving the top side bare to be laminated with glass and poly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal