You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Wiring a Blue Seas ACR  (Read 8676 times)

December 28, 2006, 09:44:06 PM
Reply #30

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Batteries
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »
Best thing out there now is one of those $50 jump starters.  Keeps a charge for 6 months and is ready to go if'n ya need it.  Also most of them provide a backup power supply and even a little air compressor.  Great insurance for battery failure or whatever (it seems the whatever is what gets us, isn't it?).
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

December 28, 2006, 10:29:32 PM
Reply #31

John Jones

• Information Offline
Re: Batteries
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 10:29:32 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
Best thing out there now is one of those $50 jump starters.  Keeps a charge for 6 months and is ready to go if'n ya need it.  Also most of them provide a backup power supply and even a little air compressor.  Great insurance for battery failure or whatever (it seems the whatever is what gets us, isn't it?).

It is usually the whatever that you never thought about.

I have one of those jump start boxes in each car.  Now, if I could only remember to charge them...
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

December 29, 2006, 07:16:02 AM
Reply #32

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 07:16:02 AM »
Quote from: "JimCt"
Dragging the extension cord can't be as embarrassing as the woman I saw a year or so ago driving along with the gas station fuel nozzle and hose still in her filler.

Ouch  :lol:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 01, 2007, 09:54:41 AM
Reply #33

Anonymous

Price of restoration for a 71 22' flatback?
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 09:54:41 AM »
what $ figure can be expected to be spent for refurbishing a 22 flatback?

do it yourself $
vs.
boat repair shop $  

thanks
tanman

January 01, 2007, 10:51:28 AM
Reply #34

pete

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 10:51:28 AM »
do it yourself,alot
boat repair shop,just buy a new boat :roll:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

January 01, 2007, 11:33:25 AM
Reply #35

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 11:33:25 AM »
Hard to tell rebuild cost.  Depends on what needs doing and how fancy your tastes are.  For a simple "user" boat, you could do a transom job only, just to make it safe, and do it yourself for maybe ~ $1000 or so.  But again, without knowing what needs doing, any cost estimates aren't really reliable.  Keep an eye on the flatback rebuilds going on in the rebuilds forum.  They'll give you a fair picture of what's involved.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

January 01, 2007, 02:44:45 PM
Reply #36

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 02:44:45 PM »
Coming back on topic, I posted some questions earlier in this thread and I said that I had copied Blue Seas on it.  Well, here is what I sent them:
I'm starting the task of installing a good power management/distribution system and am in the design/investigative stage.
I'll have 2 batteries and have some questions for you.
We have a discussion about this going on here: http://www.classicaquasport.com/forum/v ... sc&start=0

Here is a question I posted on the forum and a member suggested sending it your way.
"Here's a question for you:
How would a battery charger affect or be affected by the ACR?
The obvious charger to buy if you have mutiple batteries would be multi-bank and hook to the individual batteries. The charger is designed to distribute current to the batteries in need up to a max of it's current capability. Some also have maintenance mode so you can leave them on for extended periods of time.
With the ACR closing when it senses charging, will it undo or hurt the charger's distribution?
Would you not use a multi-bank charger and let the ACR distribute/control the charging?
Even with individual on/off switches to open circuitry to each battery, the ACR bypasses all that when it closes.
So I'm confused."

Would I need a switch (or relay as someone suggested on the forum) to force the ACR Off when charging to allow the dual bank charger to do it's thing?

Another question is that what I've read states that your ACR closes when it senses charging.  I have also read that some motor's charging systems can be damaged if you try to charge both batteries at the same time, which is what I'm thinking the ACR allows when it closes.  Is this true?  Does the ACR protect the charging source from being damaged?

In the drawing posted on the forum there are 3 on/off switches, two used to control the battery circuits and one to combine.
I'm thinking that your Blue Sea 8080 2 Bank Battery Switch Panel can be used to save critical space and also perform the same functions as these 3 switches. The 8080 has an "engine" on/off and what looks like a "house" on/off and also a crossover/combine switch.  In the specs it says the house is protected up to 100A - so is what I'm thinking is a on/off switch marked house, a circuit breaker reset switch? If it is an on/off, what happens if it draws more than 100A?

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks in advance.
Rick
Here is his reply:
Hello Rick,

You raise a number of good questions.  Most of the time an ACR and multistage, multiple output battery will play well together.  Until recently, the typical multi-output chargers ran one control program, and had settings for only one type of battery.  If all of the batteries in the system are similar in style, this works well.  Adding an ACR has little effect and all of the outputs were behaving similarly anyway.

The typical charger would advance from one charging stage to the next after all of the batteries had completed the previous stage.  This could result in having the starting battery remain in the absorption stage longer than it might need to while the house batteries were being brought all the way up, but if the charger was not too aggressive, there wasn't much of a problem.

Recently there have been chargers introduced that run different programs for each battery and have multiple output settings to facilitate mixing battery types.  One style operates in sequence, feeding one battery for awhile and then moving to the next battery.  If you have that style charger, then its function would be interfered with by an ACR.  The solution is to limit the ACR to function to work with the alternator and disable it with a relay when the shore charger is active.  A small relay with its coil connected to the same source as the charger and its contacts arranged to open the negative connection of the ACR or to provide a disable signal to a control pin depending the the ACR type.  All ACR's can be disabled by opening the negative connection, our 7600 and 9112 can be disabled by "grounding" the manual control line, while the 7610 can be disabled by applying positive the the "Start Interrupt" line.

I don't know of any chargers or alternators that can be damaged by working with an ACR.  The ACR simply connects the batteries to make a single larger bank during charging.  Alternators that are sensitive to battery bank size may be light duty units that cannot provide their rated current for the time required to charge all batteries without over heating.  These would be unsuitable for marine use.  In systems with start and house batteries and no ACR, the standard practice has been to leave a battery selector switch in the "BOTH" position while charging, manually making the same connection that the ACR makes automatically.

The ACR does not provide any specific protection for the alternator, except to open when the battery voltage falls, as it might if a load, such as an inverter, exceeds the capacity of the alternator.

We offer a number of battery switch panel configurations, and a number of people assemble their battery switch system from individual switches and circuit breakers to suit their needs.  The 8080 is very popular with a battery switch for the engine starting circuit, a battery paralleling switch, and a circuit breaker to act as both a switch and circuit protection for the wire feeding the house electrical panel.  The circuit breaker is rated at 100A.  That means it can protect wire rated at 100A or greater.  The circuit breaker will carry higher currents for short periods according to its trip curve, but will trip at about 130A sustained for minutes.

Coast Guard and ABYC standards allow the starting circuit to be run without circuit protection but all other wiring needs fuses or circuit breakers for protection.  As battery systems get bigger, there are a number of people suggesting that it is appropriate to put some fusing in the starting circuit as well.  

If you tell me more about your system, I may be able to make other suggestions.  There are number of good books on boat wiring by Ed Sherman, Nigel Calder, Don Casey, John Payne and others.  You might find advice that helps in their books as well.  

Best regards,

Wayne Kelsoe, PE

VP of Electrical Engineering
Blue Sea Systems
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 01, 2007, 06:05:41 PM
Reply #37

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
Very thorough response.  Now you see why we like Blue Sea Systems.

Getting back off topic.  :wink:

Quote from: "JimCt"
Dragging the extension cord can't be as embarrassing as the woman I saw a year or so ago driving along with the gas station fuel nozzle and hose still in her filler.

How many of us that know what a drive-in movie theater is have driven off with the speaker still hanging on the window of dad's car.   8)
Niccolo Machiavelli

January 01, 2007, 07:15:16 PM
Reply #38

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2007, 07:15:16 PM »
ACR makes sense. I'm sold.

JJ:

Our drive-in knew it's customers.  Speakers had, it appeared, welded HY80 door hangers and wires backed up with 3/8" cable.  The drive-in collected more car doors than it lost speakers.  First drive-in movie I saw was Thief of Baghdad, starring Steve Reeves (Karim) and Giorgia Moll (Princess Amina).
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

January 01, 2007, 07:20:36 PM
Reply #39

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 07:20:36 PM »
I only lost the window  :oops:
Niccolo Machiavelli

August 26, 2008, 04:43:44 PM
Reply #40

wwwcre8r

• Information Offline
    • http://www.cre8r.com
Re: Wiring a Blue Seas ACR
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 04:43:44 PM »
warthog5, I bought a Blue Sea Systems, PN 7650 - Add a Battery. I chose to rewire the whole boat, my question is how did you determine the wire/cable size and more specifically the fuse or circuit breaker rating when you created your schematic?

My boat has 2 AWG cable running to the motor... I bought more 2 AWG cable to wire up the ACR & switch (was that overkill?).

How do I determine the fuse/ circuit breaker rating for the ACR?

I'm running a 1987 Mariner L6 115hp outboard; I don't know how many amps that starter will draw, or how many charging amps will be coming back.

Thanks for any help/ advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Quote from: "warthog5"
Ever since these pix's were posted of the battery wiring I did in Adam's 20ft Mako, I've had request's for a drawing.

Well I finally sat down with my nifty software and drew it out.
1987 Aquasport 170 Osprey, \'87 Mercury Mariner 115 L6

September 03, 2008, 01:02:19 PM
Reply #41

wwwcre8r

• Information Offline
    • http://www.cre8r.com
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »
Any advice regarding the fuses / circuit breakers that I should use for my Blue Sea Systems, PN 7650 - Add a Battery?

I have new pictures up, as you can see I'm ready to wire the 2 AWG from batteries to the ACR, so I need to figure this out soon.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/592
1987 Aquasport 170 Osprey, \'87 Mercury Mariner 115 L6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal