Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 19-6 Transom Rebuild Pics  (Read 1755 times)

October 25, 2008, 02:23:05 PM
Read 1755 times

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
19-6 Transom Rebuild Pics
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »
For anyone that might be interested, here are some pics of the rebuild my father and I did on my 19-6's transom.  The transom we started with was in very good condition, but the shorter shaft (20") 1983 Evinrude 90HP originally powering the boat was unfortunately not in such good condition.  After being stranded in a wind/lightning/hail storm of God's fury a few miles from safe harbor because of a failing fuel pump (which was preceded by MANY other problems) on the motor, I decided it was time to step it up to a new outboard.  I got a phenomenal deal on a brand new Suzuki 140 Four Stroke which happily sits on a nice, solid 25" Transom.

I know there are many other ways to rebuild a transom, some arguably better, but this is how we did mine, and it's worked out quite nicely.

A lotta presanding...

This is the wood (solid oak) I cut out for the two halves (inner and outer transom)

Here are the two pieces of wood cut to fit "down inside" the pattern of the original transom:

We used a type of "sandwiching" of the fiberglass (Dad's idea).... Basically laying resinated glass between each piece of wood (4 pieces total)

Then came the full wraparound of both the mat and woven glass:

There were a few small cracks near the gunwale, so we went ahead and glassed over those as well

Then came the wonderfully itchy sanding and bondo-ing and smoothing... This part was certainly the most labor intensive... I was shooting for showroom perfection, but I ended up settling on pretty nice looking after about 2-3 weeks of finishing.

Ready for paint:

Finished product:

A much smoother, economical, peace of mind trip...  totally worth it.

... That's all.  Pretty straightforward and simple, but it works great (given you have a good transom to start with).  Next I'm repainting the bottom with black bottom paint, and repainting the non-skid a light-gray gelcoat.  The boat might not look half-bad soon...  

:)

Thanks for reading
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal