Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Replacing fiberglass parts????????????  (Read 1467 times)

July 20, 2012, 09:12:53 AM
Read 1467 times

Cummins24v

• Information Offline
Replacing fiberglass parts????????????
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:12:53 AM »
Hello,
                   I have read over this forum for some time now, I finally registered.
              I have been wanting a 22.2 for a long time and I now have 2. 1 is a 72 22.2 semi v the other is an inboard semi v.

I have started on the inboard first because the floor was already ripped out of it by someone else. I will post some pics as i go along.
            I have a few questions, If I were to mold the original floor cap and the top cap would anyone be interested in buying them for their boat? Also if I make a mold of the floor and cap could i get in trouble for selling them (Because of someone elses design)????
I work at a family business that has all the equipment to make these rebuilds alot easier. One of the boats that I have has a perfect floor which would be great for making a mold off of.

Please share your views on these subjects.

July 20, 2012, 11:55:28 AM
Reply #1

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: Replacing fiberglass parts????????????
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
Good morning, welcome!

The parts you were thinking of "splashing".....not sure how much demand you would potentially have, for the following reasons.

On the deck cap, they are usually in decent shape and reusable. Many folks don't even pull them off.

You would have a little more demand for a cored floor...only thing, most of the rebuilds are done with closed transoms and porta-brackets, and because of this, most of the guys move the tank forward a bit. So the original tank hatch position in that case would be undesirable.

But...like your helpful thing, we're glad you've joined :thumright:

July 20, 2012, 08:15:50 PM
Reply #2

akbridge

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
I don't know how much demand there would be for such a thing.  Most rebuilds are customized at the sametime.  So going back it with the original stuff doesn't make much sense.   Where are you at in Lakeland?  I am located on the south side near Shepard rd.

July 20, 2012, 09:05:36 PM
Reply #3

Cummins24v

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »
Thanks, Gran
                         I am going to be moving my tank forward as well. I am also going to build the mold for that splash that you are talking about. If I made the full mold from the front to the back, I could make just the drop down part of the floor for those who want just that part.

I have some ideas for making the full floor with the full closed transom, that is what I want in my boats to be. I really like the original floor because of the easy access plate on the side for the controls and wiring. And by making the full splash you could totally gut the boat, redo the stringers and add whatever you wanted then set the full splash in the boat. I think it will cut out alot of the work from fitting and building the new floor from scratch.

I will  be taking my inboard (soon to be a porta bracket outboard) to my shop. I am going to sandblast the inside just to clean it up a little and get the dirt out. And that way I won't have to grind all the spots that I need to lay glass. My trade is sandblasting and industrial coatings. I will post pictures along the way. And thanks again, Gran

July 20, 2012, 09:12:38 PM
Reply #4

Cummins24v

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »
AKbridge,    I am redoing my boats for two reasons 1: To make sure there isnt any rot threw out the hull. 2: To make a full transom for a porta bracket. Either way you will have a like new boat. Just my thoughts. Maybe it will help other people too.

I am right off of Ewell Road. We are close to each other. What boat doyou have?

July 21, 2012, 06:30:56 AM
Reply #5

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:30:56 AM »
Quote from: "Cummins24v"
Hello,
                   I have read over this forum for some time now, I finally registered.
              I have been wanting a 22.2 for a long time and I now have 2. 1 is a 72 22.2 semi v the other is an inboard semi v.

I have started on the inboard first because the floor was already ripped out of it by someone else. I will post some pics as i go along.
            I have a few questions, If I were to mold the original floor cap and the top cap would anyone be interested in buying them for their boat? Also if I make a mold of the floor and cap could i get in trouble for selling them (Because of someone elses design)????
I work at a family business that has all the equipment to make these rebuilds alot easier. One of the boats that I have has a perfect floor which would be great for making a mold off of.

Please share your views on these subjects.

I think a pre-manufactured drop in inner liner, with todays coring materials would be really cool idea and save someone a huge amount of time and fabrication costs. The problem would be the return on investment. I'm sure Eugene can jump in and talk about the true cost of a production mold but I would throw out $10K as a starting number. Not everyone wants an enclosed transom and porta bracket set up. I've been running at one time or another open transom 12 degree 22-2's in the Atlantic since the mid 70's and can count on one hand the amount of times I ever got tight assed worrying about a following sea coming over the transom. But I sure can remember taking a 6 footer over the bow in Ponce inlet and having the water just blast over the transom and right out of the boat and kept right on going, no pumps, no nothing. To me the Achilles heal with these boats; 70's 22-2's, and low scupper height had more to do with rigging trough drainage than anything else. The scuppers had to be below trough or it would stay full of water, so eliminating the trough allows you to raise the scuppers (and self bail) without necessarily having to raise the floor. IMHO
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

July 21, 2012, 09:46:50 AM
Reply #6

Cummins24v

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »
I have three boats that are going to need a floor. I am going to make a mold regardless of cost.

I am not sure how they attached the splash to the transom because I cant find a seam. If I make a mold for a splash that will go to th top of your transom (if you have a full transom) you can just drop in. If you have an open transom you can drop it in then cut to the heights you need.  Then glass it to your transom.

The cost of just materials for making a splash should not go over $1,500 bucks each. And that is with deck lids and new deck. If you are going to spend the time and money to put a new floor in you should just buy the floor and set it in your boat instead of doing all of that hand fitting and having a floor without the original crosshatching.  Just my thoughts.

We will see how it turns out. I have alot of other ideas to.

July 21, 2012, 02:23:24 PM
Reply #7

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
You plan on raising your deck so the boat drains right?
Capt matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

July 22, 2012, 08:42:28 AM
Reply #8

akbridge

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
AKbridge,    I am redoing my boats for two reasons 1: To make sure there isnt any rot threw out the hull. 2: To make a full transom for a porta bracket. Either way you will have a like new boat. Just my thoughts. Maybe it will help other people too.

I am right off of Ewell Road. We are close to each other. What boat doyou have?
I am sure it could help folks out with their rebuild if it is what they need. And since you need the parts it's a no brainer.  
I run a little 170. It does the job but I would like to step up to a 196 one day.

July 22, 2012, 08:50:22 AM
Reply #9

Cummins24v

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
I thougt about that. What do you think the right height is that would work for everyone? There my not be a solution that would work for everyone.

July 23, 2012, 01:49:56 PM
Reply #10

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
For a porta bracket full transom rebuild raise the deck 3 inch minimum.
You could make the deck with 3 inch pads that sit on top of original height stringers
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

July 23, 2012, 02:26:51 PM
Reply #11

Cummins24v

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »
Matt,
                   Thanks for the info. I will look at how to make the floor higher on the skirt on the mold. I know that alot of people don't run porta brackets so it hard to make something that works for everyone. I have an idea of how to make 2 heights with one mold.

Since you use your boat to make money more than guys like me, Is there anything else that would help with your everyday use of the boat? (Like, More capitain friendly) I was thinking about hatches in the floor beside the console for a rod lockers. The only down fall of having hatches in the floor is that they would have to drain into the bottom of the boat. (they would not be self bailing) That is the only reason that I didn't like the idea.

Any added ideas that you have would be great. Thanks again

July 23, 2012, 11:05:03 PM
Reply #12

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »
If you intend to market the product, the core consumers are your friends here on CA.

Many are Tampa based tarpon fishermen, with snook, trout and reds next.  It makes sense to first cater to them.

Closed transoms are their requirement. They fish in the wind with power poles....trying a spot, and moving. They can't fish an open transom, anchored stern to in heavy wind would prove dangerous.

Other fisheries, different requirements.

As Matt suggests...one basic cored deck, adjustable per usage off the stringers. As a for-instance....on our 25 inch open transom rebuild...the deck was raised over the original only  1 1/8th inches. Freeboard is important in the waters here.

July 25, 2012, 02:33:38 PM
Reply #13

Cummins24v

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
I think i have a way to make everyone happy at one time. Hard to explain online. I will post pictures when it comes to life.

July 25, 2012, 08:05:56 PM
Reply #14

Group W Bench

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »
If you can tool a liner plug and mold for $1,500 in materials w/ quality tooling gel and enough glass and core where it won't warp after multiple pulls, then I have several tooling projects for you. Unless you have 5 or more high margin parts to pull from a mold, it generally makes no economic sense to tool an actual glass mold. Simple melamine and clean clay molds will suffice for the limited number of parts that you have to pull.

I have three boats that are going to need a floor. I am going to make a mold regardless of cost.

I am not sure how they attached the splash to the transom because I cant find a seam. If I make a mold for a splash that will go to th top of your transom (if you have a full transom) you can just drop in. If you have an open transom you can drop it in then cut to the heights you need.  Then glass it to your transom.

The cost of just materials for making a splash should not go over $1,500 bucks each. And that is with deck lids and new deck. If you are going to spend the time and money to put a new floor in you should just buy the floor and set it in your boat instead of doing all of that hand fitting and having a floor without the original crosshatching.  Just my thoughts.

We will see how it turns out. I have alot of other ideas to.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal