Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1973 19-6 - is this correct? Looking for ideas  (Read 349 times)

November 18, 2020, 08:16:38 AM
Read 349 times

John G

• Information Offline
1973 19-6 - is this correct? Looking for ideas
« on: November 18, 2020, 08:16:38 AM »
I picked up this 1973 19-6 in spring.  We used it over the summer in Maine and now it's home in the garage in NH for the tear down.  She's pretty beat up with terrible paint, soft spots in the floor, bad transom, etc.   The hull # indicates that it's a 1973 19-6.   My question is - is the actual model a "19-6"?  I've heard terms like "Osprey" and "Family Fisherman" being thrown around and I'm not sure what they all mean.  I'm just trying to figure out what I actually have.

I have a friend that is quite experienced with fiberglass and boat repairs/building, so the plan is to replace the floor with coosa, replace the transom and also extend it higher and possibly put the motor on a plate. I'd love to enclose the transom and bring the side rail around the back.  I know it's wet inside because the boat has been propped up on the trailer and dripping for almost a week.  I'm still researching how/what to do with the stringers.   I don't know what/if any of the console is original or what is missing, but I'd like to raise it a few inches and modify it.  Gas tank looks fairly new, but I was running external tanks over summer just in case.  I need to pull the tank for inspection.  I'd also love a live well/leaning post combo if they exist. A t-top is on the list also.

It has a Yamaha 85hp outboard which I know is seriously undersized and I'm looking for a possible upgrade, but that's a topic for a different day.  The Yamaha runs strong, so that's last on my list for now.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm just throwing around ideas and trying to see what what other people have done.  I plan on starting my own rebuild thread soon.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

November 18, 2020, 08:57:48 AM
Reply #1

wingnut

• Information Offline
Re: 1973 19-6 - is this correct? Looking for ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
She looks good - lots of potential! There are a handful of current/recent rebuilds going on in Maine/New Hampshire at the moment. Kind of cool to have an active community up here! Umecheme was talking about an Aquasport flotilla happening at some point. Might give you a target to track for in your rebuild.

Glad to see you got your 85 broken down. At very worst that will give you a good trading chip for when you repower.

November 19, 2020, 05:47:20 AM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:47:20 AM »
The model is Osprey, the length is 196. The Osprey came in 170, 196 and 222 lengths. Here is a link to a '78 catalog that shows all the possible models in that year, which should help you learn the differences in the models. https://classicaquasport.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=582
Closing in the transom will cause you to get a bracket instead of a jack plate.  A jack plate does not have enough upward travel to allow the motor to tilt forward all the way. So either a gil bracket, an armstrong flotation bracket or a porta-bracket.
Sounds like you have soaked stringers - once you get the floor up you can drill holes along the bottom of the stringers in a few spots to see if they weep water at those spots.
Cute pup, what breed is it?
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 19, 2020, 07:40:49 AM
Reply #3

John G

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:40:49 AM »
The model is Osprey, the length is 196. The Osprey came in 170, 196 and 222 lengths. Here is a link to a '78 catalog that shows all the possible models in that year, which should help you learn the differences in the models. https://classicaquasport.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=582
Closing in the transom will cause you to get a bracket instead of a jack plate.  A jack plate does not have enough upward travel to allow the motor to tilt forward all the way. So either a gil bracket, an armstrong flotation bracket or a porta-bracket.
Sounds like you have soaked stringers - once you get the floor up you can drill holes along the bottom of the stringers in a few spots to see if they weep water at those spots.
Cute pup, what breed is it?

You actually just answered a question I was going to ask about... the brackets.  I'd rather not add anything else mechanical if I can help it, so a gil bracket would be a good option.   Does moving the motor back that far do anything to the ride of the boat?

I hope to get the floor cut open this weekend (after i research on here how to go about that!).  I exposed the fuel tank last night and found all kinds of stuff under there..  I will start a build thread and post all those photos soon.

My dog is a 4yr old German Shorthaired Pointer named "Moxie". The black color is pretty rare.  We got her as a pup from a breeder/hunting guide out of Poland Springs, Maine.  This is my second GSP and they are great dogs IF you keep them busy.  Very high energy and need to be busy.  I'm not a hunter, but she gets plenty of exercise outside keeping the squirrels, turkeys or anything else that wanders into the yard in check.  She loves the ocean and the pool!

November 19, 2020, 08:17:51 AM
Reply #4

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 08:17:51 AM »
Blue Agave has an Armstrong bracket on his 196, and he is happy with the result.  You can search his threads for more info, and he’ll probably chime in too.

Following his lead, I went with an Armstrong bracket on my 200 CCP. I couldn’t be happier with the result.  The enclosed transom and the flotation of the bracket add a real sense of security.  My performance with a Mercury. 4 stroke 150 is just what I need.  I cruise at 25-33, 3500-4000 RPM, getting 4-5 MPG.  There was some slight porpoising, until I got the motor height worked out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal