You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Euro transoms... I dont understand the trend  (Read 6124 times)

February 05, 2014, 02:36:50 PM
Reply #15

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Euro transoms... I dont understand the trend
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
I agree with bob. Most euros are simply for looks, although some can be functional. Intrepid really started the whole thing in my opinnion. Most oh Jon's early boats just didn't have brackets, he started bumping the portion of the transom where the motors mounted out, giving you more room aft, and a bolster to lean against in the aft of the boat. The hull ran full length.

When companies started experimenting, and using designs that didn't run full bottoms, they sometimes ran into a situation where there would actually be a suction effect when the boat was starting to plane. Serious performance issues.

Like Bob, unless it's functional it's stupid. Most euros end up wasting space....and on a 34 venture who gives a S@it, but on a 22 foot boat, that space is at a premium.

This is why I want an old 25 Sea vee, white water, or contender. I like the bracket, and you get a lot of space for a 25.
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

February 05, 2014, 02:39:36 PM
Reply #16

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
Here is a useless platform, but does not waste much space inside.

Love these boats.

http://www.onslowbay.net
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

February 05, 2014, 04:04:37 PM
Reply #17

Curious

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »
I just finished reading Pascoe's Buyers' Guide to Outboard Boats.  Here's his take on the different transom options:

Open transom with motor(s) hanging off of it:  Cut down transom reduces freeboard and can be prone to sinking from either a heavy rainfall or waves coming in boat through opening in transom.  Motor well can reduce this problem but eats up cockpit space.  Also, manufacturers and owners tend to poke holes in their transoms or motor wells again making them prone to sinking.

Closed transom with bolt on bracket:  Opens up cockpit space but can greatly affect balance, handling and trim with a ton of weight in motors hanging that much further off the back of the boat.  Also can cause the boat to squat to the point where the deck drains on a self bailing cockpit can end up below the waterline and cause sinking.  

Hull Integral Platforms:  AKA Euro transom.  Although Pascoe gives several examples of poorly designed euro transoms, he basically gives the overall concept two thumbs up.  Better buoyancy and handling because the boat is designed with the platform, has a built in swim platform, easier engine access, closed transom also greatly reduces swamping from waves over the transom.  Couple of drawbacks are reduced cockpit space, reduced bilge access and again, manufacturers or owners introducing holes into the platform thus opening up the whole sinking problem again.  

Interestingly, some of the photos of well designed integral platform boats offered by Pascoe were, you guess it, Aquasports!
Dan
1978 22 Family Fisherman
1996 Yamaha 200 SW Series

February 05, 2014, 04:47:30 PM
Reply #18

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »
I don't agree with the closed transom take at all. Unless this is a redo of a boat that was at one point an open, or this is a repower with a heavy motor, his write up is bunk.

Take a look a blue water boats. Do you think Paul is over there just willy-nilly slapping brackets on these boats? "Yea guys, twin 7 marines on the 23, go for it". No manufacturer is going to setup their boat to fail. This is why they test motors in conjunction with the factory to make sure the motors work well, and are propped correctly.

I get what he's saying, I've seen a lot of 223 formula's redone with outboards on a bracket. They sit ass heavy. But if you are referring to a "new" boat, I disagree.
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

February 05, 2014, 05:22:45 PM
Reply #19

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »
One of our best sellers on the Wellcraft side was the Scarab 302 Sport.  Closed transom (always WISHED it has a transom door!!), bracket mounted twins of your choice.  Sold a ton of them, always had 3-4 in process, week in, week out, year after year until they were discontinued.  Boat sat evr so slightly stern heavy at rest, but once up on plane, ran beautifully.

Interesting thing was, we built 302s for the Sarasota Police Dept., they wanted twin 7.4 sterndrives.  Between the 454s, the B1 drives, transom assys., and all that good chit back there...let me tell you, if you were ever around Sarasota bay back in the 90s and saw one of their 302s, now THAT beetch sat stern heavy!!  Full use of the K-planes to get one of those girls out of the hole!!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 05, 2014, 08:34:13 PM
Reply #20

Curious

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »
I agree with you Fletch.  I'm sure in the past there were some boats manufactured or refitted where the design wasn't thought out and didn't work but for the most part the bracket concept works if all the issues mentioned are addressed or thought out beforehand.  

Up here in the NE one of our fishing methods for Striped Bass is to back up to a rip trolling wire line and parachute jigs.  Depending on where the bass are holding in the rip you sometimes have to back the stern right into where the waves are stacking up and they can get mighty steep, mighty quick.  Full transom inboard boats such as the Mackenzie or Fortier are the preferred boat for this type of fishing, but for an outboard powered boat it is just too dangerous to do that with anything other than a euro or closed transom/bracket.
Dan
1978 22 Family Fisherman
1996 Yamaha 200 SW Series

February 05, 2014, 10:08:36 PM
Reply #21

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »
Just read your Pascoe quote. Thanks for including it in this discussion.

He's a logical thinker. The Pascoe method of tank install has been great guidance here and across the net.

Guess it depends on need and specific use. For instance, Tampa Bay and it's estuaries....you're sometimes anchored up stern-to in wind/chop with a power pole.

Stern-to the wind. Closed transom boats are a big plus in Tampa Bay and anywhere anchored in shallow water, similar conditions.

The open transom boats that are preferred in North Carolina wouldn't be popular there. Conversely, boats here are rigged to go offshore  in sloppy conditions with ease of use.  The add-ons there are in the way here.  Closed transoms are a liability in breaking five footers. A low freeboard  60K Gause from Tampa would be a real tough sale here at 31K.

Different strokes for different folks :wink:

February 05, 2014, 10:41:48 PM
Reply #22

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
I think it really does depend on the design of the boat.  Aquasport did a great job if you ask me...  There is a big Bayliner in the yard where I store my 245.  I look at it and scratch my head wondering  WHY would they do THAT?  just weird.  The Euro transom of my 245 allows me to utilize 100% of my cockpit...  which for the size of the boat is HUGE.  I don't have any rigging, splash well,or anything to get in the way...  so I feel I'm gaining space not loosing it.  Also with the motor BEHIND the Euro transom engine noise is considerably reduced.  Yes Onslowbay boats are nice.  Had the opportunity to see them being built thanks to Scott.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

February 06, 2014, 07:45:31 AM
Reply #23

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »
I was checking out the link for the 27 Onslow.  Now I'm not commenting on the quality b/c I have never seen one (pictures look nice) but the first paragraph had me scratching my head a little..  See for your self.

The Onslow Bay 27 Offshore Edition, formerly called the 23 Tournament Edition has a centerline length over deck of 26'11" and a huge beam of 9'5". The waterline length is 23'.

So... is it a 27, 26 or 23??  Im confused?  lol

B
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

February 06, 2014, 08:16:44 AM
Reply #24

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:44 AM »
Quote from: "Bergertime"
I was checking out the link for the 27 Onslow.  Now I'm not commenting on the quality b/c I have never seen one (pictures look nice) but the first paragraph had me scratching my head a little..  See for your self.

The Onslow Bay 27 Offshore Edition, formerly called the 23 Tournament Edition has a centerline length over deck of 26'11" and a huge beam of 9'5". The waterline length is 23'.

So... is it a 27, 26 or 23??  Im confused?  lol

B

SKA tournament rules for the small boat class require that the waterline length be no greater than 23'11", so some manufacturers will call a boat a "23" when the centerline length is actually longer.

http://www.fishska.com/rules/mercury/

I sold SailFish boats at the dealership I used to work for, and their SKA boat was called a 23 when it actually measured around 26' long.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

February 06, 2014, 09:06:52 AM
Reply #25

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 09:06:52 AM »
As I commented before on LOA...

When I first started at Stamas, their biggest boat was the 360 Express.  It shortly became the 370 Express.  That very same boat...now?  Completely unchanged?  The 40 Aegean.  

Boat "model" names can be understated, as the model name is not what the CG nor insurance companies go by...they go by LOA, which HAS to state the true overall LOA, including all molded in portions of the boat (integrated swim platforms, molded in pulpits).  On the contrary, bolted on, or non-permanent portions of the boat can not be counted towards LOA.  

Not to be confused with what a marina will charge for slip fees, which is the entire length of the boat and hardware (read that engines/drives), and with O/Bs, that's with the engines tilted up...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 06, 2014, 09:36:02 AM
Reply #26

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
Onslow Bay is here in town....they build a high quality, state of the art product. The hull is a combination of the best from Contender, Ocean Master, See Vee, etc...but with a Carolina Flare.

They ride like a dream. They have a new 32 out running triples and they can't produce it fast enough.

Their boats are factory direct, semi-custom.

Several of our members have seen them being made. Any of you guys that would like a tour, am happy to arrange it :thumright:

February 06, 2014, 11:30:31 AM
Reply #27

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
I can attest to the Onslow Bay build quality.  What I saw was top notch.  Roadasprin was with me and he is a former master fiberglass and mold maker (Morgan yacht, Gulfstar, Stamas, Proline, and even the Disney 10,000 leagues under the sea submarines to name a few).  He was very impressed with the build quality.  So that is saying something.  I saw the plug they were making for the 32.  Very nice.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

February 06, 2014, 05:17:21 PM
Reply #28

futch13

• Information Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"

I tried to post that same statement twice yesterday "So the Manufacturers can make their 35 footer into their new 38 footer"  LOL  Are you deleting my post Bob  :cry:  :cry:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

February 06, 2014, 06:06:23 PM
Reply #29

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
Quote from: "futch13"
Quote from: "seabob4"

I tried to post that same statement twice yesterday "So the Manufacturers can make their 35 footer into their new 38 footer"  LOL  Are you deleting my post Bob  :cry:  :cry:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yes Loye, you have indeed busted me!!

You see that thread where Marc asked where Mulberry was?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal