Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: merc ignition switch wiring diagram  (Read 160 times)

April 28, 2022, 06:47:08 AM
Read 160 times

Cpt. Beyond

• Information Offline
merc ignition switch wiring diagram
« on: April 28, 2022, 06:47:08 AM »
i purchased a quicksilver 87-88107A5 ignition switch for use with my mid 90s 2stroke 90hp merc. It did not include any wiring diagrams for splicing to the existing ignition wiring harness. would anyone have a diagram handy for this particular wiring job? here are the wires im dealing with...

NEW IGNITION SWITCH

2 PURPLE (factory spliced)
2 BLACK, yellow stripe (factory spliced)
2 BLACK (factory spliced)
2 RED (factory spliced)
1 YELLOW, red stripe
1 YELLOW, black stripe

EXISTING IGNITION WIRING HARNESS (mid 90s 90hp 2stroke merc)

1 YELLOW, black stripe
1 BLACK, yellow stripe
1 YELLOW, red stripe
1 RED
1 BLACK
1 GREY
1 BROWN
1 PURPLE

April 28, 2022, 10:23:48 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: merc ignition switch wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 10:23:48 PM »
Does it look similar to this?

https://www.u-buy.com.ng/product/1AESB957S-boat-ignition-switch-with-key-replacement-for-mercury-mariner-outboard-motor-control-box-with-2-keys-3-position-6-wire-connectors-replace-mercury

Different brand(?) but it has the same color pattern you describe. If so, look at the photos on the left. One identifies the wiring.

best i could come up with tonight.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 04, 2022, 06:29:49 AM
Reply #2

Cpt. Beyond

• Information Offline
Re: merc ignition switch wiring diagram
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 06:29:49 AM »
ok, it does look similar to mine except that on my new ignition i have 2 purples, 2 black with yellow stripe, 2 black and 2 red... if those 2nd wires of each pair are extra for future use, im not sure... i do think that diagram led me in the right direction though, this is what i came up with...

the old ignition has letter identifications next to the screw terminations... M, A&M ,C, S, B, I... there is also what i think is a round overheat buzzer wired to the I terminal, it then leaves with a brown and purple from round buzzer to motor...

I intend to splice onto the existing motor wiring harness with my new ignition switch using these letters on old ignition as identifiers...

From new ignition switch to existing wiring harness...

PURPLE TO I (with overheat buzzer installed in between switch and motor?)

RED TO B (install 20a in line fuse in between ignition switch and wiring harness splice?)

BLACK TO M

BLACK,yellow stripe TO A&M

YELLOW, red stripe TO S

YELLOW, black stripe TO C

the remaining grey wire coming from existing wiring harness appeared to have been connected to old tach or batt level guage...

would it appear i am on the right track?

thanks for the help

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal