You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Late fall fishing in the 222  (Read 663 times)

October 23, 2006, 12:46:31 PM
Read 663 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
Late fall fishing in the 222
« on: October 23, 2006, 12:46:31 PM »
I've been trailering my 222 and having a grand old time.  In the spring of 1999, I bought a 1993 Magic Trail trailer, dual axle, 16 rollers and had only been using it to put the boat in the water and pull it out on the ramp by my summer residence but this fall I have taken the boat to my house and have been going 35 miles east to chase the cod.  The trailer has been doing well.  I have made sure the bearings stay greased and I had to replace one tire that had a nagging slow leak and I also got a spare tire/wheel but VIP gave me a radial instead of a bias-ply, so once the season is over, I'll have them put on a bias-ply as I don't want to chance having one radial and the rest bias in case I do get a flat.  I spend this summer making sure all the wiring on the trailer is good and the lights work and so far so good with all of that.  The OptiMax has been doing quite well and so far this season I've only burned through 3.5 gallons of the OptiMax/DFI oil of which I just bought another 2.5 gallon jug of after I bought 5 gallons of the stuff in May.  The motor has been a charm and I've been rotating the two starting batteries I have and have been using the 1000CCA one for the past 3 weeks as the 650CCA battery would be my reserve in this now much cooler weather here in MA.  The codfishing is new to me.  I can't catch cod in the water I usually fish in further south but as the ramp is only about 35 miles, it is a joy to hook the boat/trailer up and head to the ramp, put in and head out not far, maybe 10 miles out and get into some cod, which are some tasty eating.  I've been finding 6 inch lobsters in the bellies of some along with small stone crabs and baby wolffish.  

So all in all, while my season on the 'sport will be over someday, I think I have at least November to get through before it is over until March when I can get back to chasing the cod again.  I would like to be able to get out in December and even in January so long as the days are warm and there is no snowmobiling to be had but I have to be realistic as snowmobiling is a great time up this way too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal