Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Hydraulic Pushfit Connectors? (Power Pole)  (Read 5670 times)

September 20, 2011, 10:07:17 AM
Read 5670 times

wessnapp

• Information Offline
Hydraulic Pushfit Connectors? (Power Pole)
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
I need to replace one of the hydraulic lines in my Power-Pole. The tubes seem to be attached with "Push Fit Connectors."

How do you remove the tube from the push fit connector?
    How do you replenish the Hydraulic fluid throughout the system once connected?

I have never worked on hydraulics so I could use the direction. Thanks!!
St. Petersburg, Florida

Aquasport 200 Osprey Tournament Master w/150 Johnson
http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/wsnapp/Aquasport/
http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com

September 20, 2011, 02:15:51 PM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: Hydraulic Pushfit Connectors? (Power Pole)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
Quote from: "wessnapp"
I need to replace one of the hydraulic lines in my Power-Pole. The tubes seem to be attached with "Push Fit Connectors."

How do you remove the tube from the push fit connector?
    How do you replenish the Hydraulic fluid throughout the system once connected?

I have never worked on hydraulics so I could use the direction. Thanks!!

Without seeing the connectors, I couldn't be real sure on the disconnecting, probably some type of similar to fuel lines on a car.  Autozone sells a set of plastic tools that might work, ask for the fuel line disconnecting tool set.  As far as bleeding, I'm sure it is pretty much a self bleeding system back to the resevoir.  Hooh your lines up, add fluid to the resevoir with the pole completely retracted, then cycle it back and forth, only add fluid with the pole retracted.  Never worked on or saw a power pole mechanics, but should be straight forward hydraulics.
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

September 20, 2011, 05:12:29 PM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
Wess,
Your hyd lines use what are called "compression nuts" to secure them to the cylinder.  Once tightened down on the cylinder, they basically "crimp" the line, sealing it to the cylinder fitting while securing it as well.  They are not reusable BUT...Hoime Depot has them on the back wall in the plumbing section, you want the nuts for 1/4" OD hose.  You need to buy the little package of sleeves as well.  Total cost for 3 nuts and 3 sleeves is under $5.  To remove the old nut, simply cut the hose right behind the nut.  But since you're are replacing the hose, that doesn't matter, does it?

Once you get it all put back together, simply run the pole up and down a few times.  It's a self-bleeding system, the air is purged through a vent in the cap on the pump reservoir...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 20, 2011, 06:49:38 PM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
Nope, the connectors are a different type then what everyone would think.  I am trying to remember what I had to do when I switched pumps a couple years ago - oh and the system is self bleeding.  I would call power pole - they're good guys.  I wanted a remote but found out the model pump I had was not compatible.  They traded me a rebuilt one for free that was compatible and I bought the remote ($250).
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 20, 2011, 06:55:40 PM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
Rick,
You are right!  Here's a pic of the pump, the connectors on there are the same as the ones on the cylinder...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 21, 2011, 09:52:54 AM
Reply #5

wessnapp

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:54 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I did call Power-Pole and they couldn't have been nicer.

It is so simple, I am not totally embarrassed I had to ask  :D

The connector has a small neck on it.  Push the neck in and you can pull the tube right out.  Was able to change out all the tubing in a matter of 10 minutes.  

Filled with fluid, ran it a few times, had to pour some more in and we are off to the races!!!

Thanks everyone.

SeaBob - your rigging is too clean and tight.  That imagine has just made me realize I have a rats nest.   :oops:
St. Petersburg, Florida

September 21, 2011, 10:02:09 AM
Reply #6

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
Wess,
Almost all older boats, because of lazy-a$$ POs, basically end up with birds nest under the helm and in the back end.  They don't come out of the factory that way.  A little time and effort to route and secure properly is all it takes to keep things nice and tidy...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 21, 2011, 01:08:48 PM
Reply #7

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:08:48 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Wess,
  They don't come out of the factory that way.

:scratch:
viewtopic.php?p=58985#p58985
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 21, 2011, 01:20:08 PM
Reply #8

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Wess,

Pretty amazing, huh?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 21, 2011, 02:22:57 PM
Reply #9

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Wess,
Almost all older boats, because of lazy-a$$ POs, basically end up with birds nest under the helm and in the back end.  They don't come out of the factory that way.  A little time and effort to route and secure properly is all it takes to keep things nice and tidy...

I guess I'm what could be called a lazy a$$ because under my console looks rough, though not as bad as some I've seen.  I think my problem was a lack of a plan... and my excitement in getting the boat in the water.

I tried to go back in there before the season this year to re-do some wiring, and I've got wires that don't serve a purpose anymore, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they're there.  I did all the wiring myself, so you'd think I'd know  :scratch:  :roll:

It can become a problem because when I have electrical issues, I have a hard time tracing the cause.  :idea:

I need to give you some of my money SeaBob
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

September 21, 2011, 02:40:12 PM
Reply #10

wessnapp

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Wess,

Pretty amazing, huh?

What a roller coaster of emotion.....

Initially feeling bad about the state of affairs under my CC.....but the other picture makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER! :cheers:
St. Petersburg, Florida

September 21, 2011, 04:21:32 PM
Reply #11

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
Quote from: "MarshMarlowe196"
Wess,

I guess I'm what could be called a lazy a$$ because under my console looks rough, though not as bad as some I've seen.  I think my problem was a lack of a plan... and my excitement in getting the boat in the water.

I tried to go back in there before the season this year to re-do some wiring, and I've got wires that don't serve a purpose anymore, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they're there.  I did all the wiring myself, so you'd think I'd know  :scratch:  :roll:

It can become a problem because when I have electrical issues, I have a hard time tracing the cause.  :idea:

I need to give you some of my money SeaBob

Jess,
Figure out what you have on the boat, electrically.  Make sure it all works.  Then, any wires left over?  Get rid of them!!  Preferably, at there source of termination, whether from a bus bar, fuse block, or breaker.  Since you don't miss what they used to power, you never use what they used to power, or what they used to power is no longer on the boat, they are history!

When you want to add something in the future, simply power it up from a new hot and ground, circuit protect it, and you're good to go...

A little advice for those installing electronics.  Ever notice, whether it be a FF, a chartplotter, a VHF, or a stereo, that the cheap POC in-line fuse holders are right at the back of the units, damn near impossible to reach under a helm should one blow?  Cut out the fuse holders, splice in fresh, quality marine wire (electronics manufacturers use crap wire, don't ask me why), and add a good in-line close to an access door, hatch, or opening where they are easy to get at and change fuses.  Also use the blade type fuses (AGC or ATO), the fuses and the holders are much stouter than glass fuses and won't break and crumple in your hands...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 21, 2011, 06:09:25 PM
Reply #12

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »
Wess,
See your post made it on to THT, got Curt from PowerPole on board...WELL DONE!! :salut:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 22, 2011, 09:35:06 AM
Reply #13

wessnapp

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:06 AM »
VERY COOL!
St. Petersburg, Florida

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal