Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: What is the best anchor?  (Read 3362 times)

November 20, 2006, 05:44:05 AM
Read 3362 times

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
What is the best anchor?
« on: November 20, 2006, 05:44:05 AM »
I need to replace the anchor on the 230 and have been researching this on the web and have come to no conclusion.
I thought that the plow types were the best and have bid on 3 and lost on 3 (at the last second too by someone sneeking in that wasn't bidding at all  :x ) on ebay.
I found this table on Wikipedia that seems to show that a cheap ole Fortress style using the correct chain length and scope can be just as good as a multi-hundred$ new fangled anchor. Study done by West marine I think. See the summary right below the chart.  Here is the whole article.
So what do you all think?
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 20, 2006, 08:22:52 AM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:22:52 AM »
What's te mission Rick?  Mooring the boat for overnight or an easily retrieved "lunch hook" for beach/fishing?  With the space you've got now you could have both.  My preference is Danforth.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 20, 2006, 08:37:32 AM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 08:37:32 AM »
I have a Danforth.  IMHO Danforth or that style is the best.  It's all in the chain.  The more chain, the better any of them work.  The only time I would recommend different is wreck fishing.  Then the 4-prong aluminum grappling hook anchors are better becaue the hook prongs will straighten out with enough pull.  Leaving anchors in a wreck gets expensive.  I just make sure I get far enough up current from a wreck before dropping anchor, then let out enough scope to get back to the wreck.  You don't want to be right on top of the wreck anyway.

SEE ME BEFORE YOU BUY.   I might have something you would want behind the shed.  Much cheaper than new.  :wink:
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 20, 2006, 08:49:38 AM
Reply #3

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:49:38 AM »
Here is mine

I have this one I don't need.  It's a Danforth copy and a size larger than mine.

Niccolo Machiavelli

November 20, 2006, 08:57:23 AM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:57:23 AM »
Another anchor tip.

NEVER EVER buy the vinyl coated chain.  Within a year the vinyl cracks trapping saltwater under the coating and within another year it's junk.  Hot dipped galvanize (dull gray) will last forever if you rinse it off.  The bright electro-plate galvanized like they sell at home centers and Wal-Mart will be a pile of rust in a year.  Stainless is fine but doesn't fit my wallet.

Tip #3
Hydro-bubble anchors are a joke.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 20, 2006, 10:07:19 AM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:07:19 AM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
NEVER EVER buy the vinyl coated chain.  Within a year the vinyl cracks trapping saltwater under the coating and within another year it's junk.
I haven't checked the anchor line and chain that is there, I just saw that the anchor was almost rusted through.  That's what set me off looking for one.

Hot dipped galvanize (dull gray) will last forever if you rinse it off.  The bright electro-plate galvanized like they sell at home centers and Wal-Mart will be a pile of rust in a year.
Yup, I agree.  

Stainless is fine but doesn't fit my wallet.
They're at least double or triple.

Hydro-bubble anchors are a joke.

They looked cool though - self righting and all.
Thanks for all the tips JJ.
Rick

November 20, 2006, 10:12:57 AM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:12:57 AM »
Quote from: "JimCt"
What's te mission Rick?  Mooring the boat for overnight or an easily retrieved "lunch hook" for beach/fishing?  With the space you've got now you could have both.  My preference is Danforth.

The boat has 2 anchors now - I only saw that it did, didn't really check out the 2nd one much.  So anyway, I want to be able to overnight and go a little deep.  So anyway, I'll need a multi-purpose anchor, lots of chain (they say at least as much chain as the anchor weighs) and possibly 4-600 ft of line if I want to anchor up in 100ft of water.  Right now I don't know what's on the boat. This weekend the mystery will begin to unfold.

JJ - That unused anchor you have looks good.  I figure if I get an anchor for a 30ft boat I will be better off.  I'll talk to you about it.
Also, the windlass is another thing on my list of must haves (but at $6-800+, ouch).
Rick

November 20, 2006, 10:24:58 AM
Reply #7

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Anchor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:24:58 AM »
Here's another vote for a Danforth-style with a good length of heavy chain.  I'm not a big fan of the plow/CQR anchors.  The chain really is the key to a good anchor hookup.  

I keep two anchors - one is a smaller (8 lb.) slip ring "lunch hook" with a shorter length of chain and poly line for quick and easy use - and then a larger (17 lb.) Danforth with 6' of heavy chain and 3/8" nylon line for the more "challenging" times.  It's always handy to have two anchors if you need to keep the boat stable or pointed in a particular direction...

Ditto JJ's remark on the vinyl coated chain - waste of time and money - go with heavy hot-dip chain.  And PLEASE remember to have a loop and/or secure the bitter end of the line - it is really embarassing to drop the anchor in 80' of water and watch the line go with it!   :oops:

Also - if you are going to fish rocks or wrecks - consider the mod where you connect the chain to the bottom of the anchor and then use tie-wraps at the top, so if the anchor gets stuck, you pull hard enough and it will break the tie wraps and the anchor will pull free from the bottom.  
 :wink:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

November 20, 2006, 11:42:01 AM
Reply #8

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:42:01 AM »
I put my 'break away' post back to the top of the list so Rick can put it in our new "resources" section  :wink:

Notice in my first pic above where the chain is connected.

http://www.classicaquasport.com/forum/v ... =9199#9199

Rick, consider the capstain type windlass like I have.  I have fished on a lot of boats and the gypsy type windlass will give trouble sooner or later.  Seldom are they a one man operation as advertised.  The power down type are worthless for fishing in deep water.  Free fall is a must.

I'll dig up where I bought mine.  It's about 1/3 the price of the gypsy windlass.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 20, 2006, 11:50:59 AM
Reply #9

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:50:59 AM »
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 20, 2006, 12:26:45 PM
Reply #10

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
This is heresy to say I suppose, but I have never used chain with a Danforth in 40 years.  Only dragged twice.  Both times in Great Salt Pond at Block Island , RI.  Bottom is mud with a dense grassy bottom.  Anchor didn't fail to hold, it just ripped out a chunk of the bottom.  When the hook was pulled up both times it was still fully set in the bottom except the bottom came up with it.  Better anchor for that bottom would be a CQR, possibly.

Key to setting a hook, whatever design, is enough scope.  I pay out scope by eye so I can't tell you the depth of water/scope ratio.  Once the hook is set I let out maybe another 10% just for peace of mind.

Anchor choice, anchor rode type and technique are highly personal matters for most experienced boaters.  I've read of one sailor who used a 10# Hi-Tensile Danforth on his 40' sloop.  Cruised for years with it and never had a problem.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 20, 2006, 01:17:15 PM
Reply #11

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 01:17:15 PM »
Not heresy, just choice, and usage.

Anytime I'm talking about anchoring, it about bottom fishing on structure, be it wreck or just a change in natural bottom that holds fish.  You start out by finding your spot on the bottom machine with the help of the gps.  Once found, you stop and let the boat drift to try and determine the anchor heading, then motor back across your spot on the anchor heading and past it ever how far you think you need to to have enough scope out for the anchor to hold.  The problem is the farther past your spot you run, the easier it is to miss your spot when the slack is out of the rode.  Long scope causes the boat to swing more with the variations in wind too.  Both making it hard to hit the spot which is hard enough as it is.  The weight of 12' of chain helps keeps the anchor pulling at the proper angle allowing for shorter scope and hopefully more accurate anchoring.  It's pretty much a standard down here, for fishermen anyway.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 20, 2006, 08:07:35 PM
Reply #12

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 08:07:35 PM »
I put my 'break away' post back to the top of the list so Rick can put it in our new "resources" section  :wink:
Now if I can figure out how to contact Capt. I can start talking to him about a resource section. Still waiting for the lucky charm he gave me to kick in.

Rick, consider the capstain type windlass like I have.  I have fished on a lot of boats and the gypsy type windlass will give trouble sooner or later.  Seldom are they a one man operation as advertised.  The power down type are worthless for fishing in deep water.  Free fall is a must.

I'll dig up where I bought mine.  It's about 1/3 the price of the gypsy windlass.

Thanks for diggin that up.  What do you mean by "gypsy" - the kind that goes through the deck?
EDIT: I found this reference and it explained the gypsy.  Seems to be for chain.
Rick

November 21, 2006, 07:13:46 AM
Reply #13

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 07:13:46 AM »
I guess the Danforth Hi Tensile Anchor is the way to go.  That one looks like it will hold up for a long time. The 5H (5 lbs) looks like it'll hold a 31ft boat.
Capt Jim L - what type was the anchor you lost at the get-together?
Rick

November 21, 2006, 08:49:51 AM
Reply #14

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 08:49:51 AM »
Any experience with a Sea Claw?  Seems to be a local guy. Here is a link.
Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal