Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Continental aluminum Ibeam tire wear  (Read 470 times)

December 02, 2018, 02:11:44 PM
Read 470 times

smccall

• Information Offline
Continental aluminum Ibeam tire wear
« on: December 02, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »
Looks like stress cracks on port and starboard I beams exactly where the I beams are bent to go forward to the wench/tongue. The stress cracks are on the bottom of the I beam bowing toward centerline of the boat. And thus my tires are wearing  on the inside port side and outside on starboard side. Bottom line me thinks I beams aren’t plum. Am I on the right track? Any class action lawsuits anyone aware of with Continental?. Hope I’m on the right track, Thanks!

December 02, 2018, 06:42:33 PM
Reply #1

dirtwheelsfl

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Continental aluminum Ibeam tire wear
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
What?   Pictures...?

Also why does everyone in this cuntry wanna sue people when something bad happens to them?

The idea definitely has some merit, loaded with a boat though itll settle just fine.

December 02, 2018, 07:29:06 PM
Reply #2

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »
Have you contacted Continental?  Continental, actually has a reputation for being a bit above the average production trailer.

I doubt that a frame out of plum would affect tire wear.  The axel asures  that the hubs stay true.  That is, if the wheels are properly tightened, and the bearings good, the frame transmits load to the axels and the axels keep the wheels in line.

Are you certain they’re  stress cracks?  It’s normal for the surface of  aluminum to look a bit frosted where it’s bent.  If they’re true stress cracks that relates more to the ability of the trailer to carry load than wheel alignment.

If you post some picture, we may be able to advise you better, but your first line of defense should be contacting Continental or the dealer that sold the trailer.

December 03, 2018, 01:08:09 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »
Is this a tandem or single axle trailer?  The alloy used to build boat trailers is unique with a special temper that allows them to be bent into shape.  Cracks from the bending process are rare.  Stress risers from nicks or hole that are not deburred etc are possible but very unlikely.  Hauling a loaded aluminum trailer without the boat properly secured to the winch stand can cause excessive flexing and damage over time.  As already said pics are needed.  No known lawsuits are out there and they would be VERY difficult to win.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal