Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
22-2 Rebuilds / Re: 1974 Aquasport 222 Rebuild Captain Joe
« Last post by RickK on Today at 06:21:49 AM »
Lookin good.
22-2 Rebuilds / Re: 1974 Aquasport 222 Rebuild Captain Joe
« Last post by Capt.Joe on June 19, 2021, 11:07:29 PM »
First and foremost, the floor is in! I didn’t glue the front floor in just yet but the main floor is epoxied down. I removed those cheap fuel tank straps and installed 4 really nice heavy duty aluminum angle. The hat he gutters are glued and glassed down as well. It took 5 quarts of epoxy mixed with fumed silica to cover both stringers and about 2 quarts to fill the edges and seams.

Aquasport Discussion / Re: 76 Aquasport 170 bow/anchor door
« Last post by sowers22 on June 18, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
Yes sir, it's just temporary until i get some teak or mahogany. (Maybe cedar?) Tired of looking at the hole, so hopefully this will last until winter time when the boat gets its new makeover. Even thought we don't seem to ever have much of a winter!
I got pretty good at matching gelcoat on older boats. White gelcoat with a drop or 2 of brown pigment usually gets you real close to that stained gelcoat color. Shoot it with a PreVail sprayer and you can easily tint as needed.
Yikes, glad you got back safe. I say cutting an access and working from from inside is the best bet, especially since you'll already be doing glass work to fix the crack
Aquasport Discussion / Re: 76 Aquasport 170 bow/anchor door
« Last post by RickK on June 17, 2021, 05:21:57 PM »
I'm not sure plywood is a good choice for exposed marine environment. I used Brazilian Mahogany and it has held up for about 15  years. If it gets funky, a quick scruff with 120 grit and re-oil with tong oil.
165/170/175 Rebuilds / Re: 1987 170 Rebuild
« Last post by RickK on June 17, 2021, 05:18:27 PM »
Hey Rickk
Want to redo another 170 this winter !!??
I need to replace the whole floor and get some weight out of her! :you_rock:
Thanks man but I'll pass. Reach out to dirtwheelsfl - he is a master rebuilder here and has documented a lot of his work here and not just aquasports.
Thanks, guys.  The wall of the deck liner underneath the gunnel is directly behind it.  This has a good 4-5 inch crack in it, as well, right at where the wall and deck meet.  The interior crack didn't appear until I walked near it a bit (or I didn't notice it for a while--my heart rate was up pretty good because the impact felt very hard and I was about 30 miles offshore). 

I can contort my arm around and just barely reach it from the back, so if I need to do anything on the back except place a backer, I'll have to cut an access hole, but I've already got to do repairs on the interior crack, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

I'm most worried about matching the gelcoat.  I kind of think there is not a chance.  The boat is 20 years old and different parts of the hull are different colors due to variable fading.  I think I'm just going to try white gelcoat and add pigment it to match as close as possible.
191 Rebuilds / Re: Mike B's 19-1 Refinish
« Last post by umecheme on June 17, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »
At a standstill on the deck, while I'm waiting for some wire for the running lights.  So... on to the console

165/170/175 Rebuilds / Re: 1987 170 Rebuild
« Last post by sowers22 on June 17, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »
Hey Rickk
Want to redo another 170 this winter !!??
I need to replace the whole floor and get some weight out of her! :you_rock:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10