Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: I/O Question  (Read 804 times)

January 05, 2007, 01:47:24 PM
Read 804 times

rsh19904

• Information Offline
I/O Question
« on: January 05, 2007, 01:47:24 PM »
Hello all,

had another question I'm trying to get help with.  I was wondering what was everyone's thoughts on Volvo Penta sterndrives? (2000 year).   I have experience with the merc. units but know nothing of the Volvo's and wanted to know what to look for in them?  Its connected to a 350 Chevy motor (1990).  Now I know there's nay sayers on sterndrive units but I don't want that info (trust me)  :wink: .  But would like to get an honest idea about their product?   I've heard the DuoProps are really good units and great to work with.  I dunno, but this one's a single prop unit from what I can tell that was replaced completly in 2000.  Are they more expensive to work on than merc's?  How's the quality, etc...any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  :D
Its called fishing not catching for a reason.  Usually operator error

January 05, 2007, 02:57:27 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:57:27 PM »
I have a Mercruiser which my UPS driver severely criticized me for getting.  He swears by Volvo and has two of them.  Bit more money for parts but a solid reputation.  Secondhand hearsay evidence, I realize, but that's all I can offer.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

January 05, 2007, 05:10:41 PM
Reply #2

rsh19904

• Information Offline
It is a Duo Prop setup.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:10:41 PM »
Just got some better pix from the owner and it looks like the unit is a duo prop unit.   Anybody ever been in a boat with this sterndrive unit on it?

JimCt- thanks for the reply, word of mouth had to start some where right  :wink:  

At this point in time any info. is good.
Its called fishing not catching for a reason.  Usually operator error

January 19, 2007, 09:31:10 PM
Reply #3

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Volvo
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
The DuoProps have a great reputation for efficiency and reliability, especially now that they are available with stainless props.  Originally, they only had aluminum props, which had to have large cross-sections and were not as good as they could be.  The stainless props allowed for an even better level of propeller efficiency over the original.

Mercury basically copied the DuoProp with the Bravo 3 outdrive.  I know several commercial fishermen who have DuoProps with diesel power and say they will not run anything else.  In addition to being very efficient, they also do not have prop torque and don't swing the back of the boat at low speed (most notable in reverse) like a single outdrive does.  Whether gas or diesel, DuoProp owners seem very loyal.

To put DuoProp in perspective - consider that Navy torpedoes have had counter-rotating propellers since WWII.  It's the only way to run fast and straight with a single prop!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

January 20, 2007, 01:22:35 AM
Reply #4

ddd222

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 01:22:35 AM »
as far as i/o's, i think the bar is alot closer than outboards. I've seen the same praises and complaints w/ each. I have more experience is mercruiser, but i think similar to outboards, having the shop that sells/installs nearby is key. I love the idea of the duo-prop bravo3, a boat ALMOST does what u tell it to when in reverse, and can really optimize performance on certain boats. But the bravo 3 i don't think is optimum in commercial applications, at least the beating we put on them. We had a bravo 3 we got used and had alot of down time. More moving parts to possibly go wrong, like a helicopter vs. fixed wing aircraft. Not the best example but a reality when the boat gets 70-80 hours a week. If i was a pleasure boater that never fished or boated in skinny water, bravo 3 might be optimum. But for heavy use and for our commercial applications, the new 350 MPI w/ bravo 2 is bulletproof, and averages 4-4.3 gallons per hour!!! Unfreakin believable fuel #'s, and these are real time from much less than optimum usage(w/out coming clean about what they/I really do). My buddy has twin turbo volvo's on his big pursuit express, great motors, also diesel. But given the choice i would rather buy american assuming there was realistic service nearby. The fuel burn is 10-20%better than they publish. When was the last time any of us had car or especially a boat overdeliver on a promise? As much as i love the twin turbo volvo's on my buddy's pursuit it snapped a belt 90 miles offshore 35 hours before volvo suggested replacement. He limped back on 1 motor, 12 hours. 2 different boats w/ different scenario's but our boat has gotten 50-80 hours per week since november being beatin to crap w/ out a hiccup. Right motor on the right application, w/ service is key, but i love our merc/bravo2 combo, and so does the boss

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal