Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Fiberglass and Materials Corner

resin choice for restoration

(1/1)

riomar:
What are the benifits and problems of epoxy versus polyester /vynlester .I would think the bond between the old poly and new pe/ve would be better than with epoxy?

warthog5:
You think wrong. The secondary bond with epoxy is superior.

riomar:
The only time I used epoxy on poly we wiped the poly with denatured alcohol right before we wetted it out ??? This was to help with the bond? Isn't a iso poly more flexible than epoxy??? I want to use the right resin and I like the extra working time on the epoxy ? How is the bond between poly and vinyl .

Shine:
Secondary bonds with epoxy are far superior than polyester or vinyester.  Thats not an opinion. Epoxy will bond just as well to either poly or vinyester, just lightly sand and wipe down with Acetone.  A epoxy to poly is actually better than a poly to poly bond (assuming we are talking secondary bonds)

Fiberglass laminates made of epoxy resin vs, polyester resin will fatigue almost half as much over the lifetime of the boat - this is tested adn proven also.  It fatigues less because it "stretches" more = higher elongation.  Iso resin might be around 1.5% elongation while most general purpose epoxy is around 5%.  If memory serves me correct knitted e-glass is about 4.5%.

Epoxy is easier to work with - that is an opinion shared by more everyone who has worked with both resins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version