You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Fuel tanks and anything about fuel systems

Fuel Gauge on 2005 Osprey 185

(1/2) > >>

KB4ET:
The fuel gauge on my 185 will only indicate 1/2 full/empty. The gauge will bottom out when the ign. switch is turned off and will jump to 1/2 when turned on, and the gauge background light will light. So, obviously there is 12V to the gauge. I haven't let the fuel quantity get below 1/2 full (49 gal tank) so I don't know if the gauge will read from 1/2  down to zero. My question is - In your opinion, does this suggest the fuel tank float might be stuck, or can the gauge be at fault. Thanks in advance.

Capt. Bob:
Sounds like the sender is failing.
Both the float and the sender make up the unit so you would be replacing both at the same time. Gauge failure itself, while not improbable happens far less often.

Replace with this style unit.
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/moeller-reed-switch-fuel-sending-unit-79135.html

Good luck. :thumright:

KB4ET:
Very good Bob, and I do appreciate the information.

Dave

KB4ET:
Finally getting around to replacing the faulty fuel quantity sending unit on my 185 Osprey. The old Aquasport catalogs that are listed on this site show that my 185 Osprey included a 49 gal. fuel tank (also verified by draining/refilling); however, I can't find any dimensions for the tank. I'm hoping that maybe someone in the past, that has replaced the sending unit in this tank, might remember the size (length) that I will need for this replacement.
Having the new replacement available before taking the old unit out would sure move beer thirty up considerably. Thank you,

Old & Ancient Ex Capt Dave     

KB4ET:
Additional Info:
I see "SSS - 8.5" stamped on the faulty sending unit that is still in place. Are these numbers meaningful?
Thanks,

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version