Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 29 Tournament Weight Distribution and bilge  (Read 246 times)

June 29, 2021, 07:53:09 PM
Read 246 times

29aquasport

• Information Offline
29 Tournament Weight Distribution and bilge
« on: June 29, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
Hey Guys

I know there is limited following and information on the 29 but I happen to have one and really like it. Fast? NO Like Fuel? YEP! Didn't buy it to be a speed boat and for over nights and cruising around she is perfect especially for the money. Have been doing a lot of upgrades, cleaning and parts replacement where necessary but the one thing that bothers me is the front bilge under the cabin is where any water settles. Looking at design of boat it is no wonder but I think originally this would not have been the case or been acceptable so I'm trying to figure out why is is bow heavy. My thoughts are it was originally outfitted with a 3.5-4 kw generator as well as a 30 gallonish live well. I don't know where the generator was originally installed but looking at the design I figure slightly aft if not all the way aft since this would be the only location where generator could actually be serviced. The weight of a older gas 4kw generator is around 300 pounds. The live well all the way aft would be around 50-60 pounds empty and 240ish full of water. I would like to think this is the weight that I'm missing to get the water to run back to aft bilge area. I want to make any weight/ballast usable if possible, I could just add lead but useless weight. I'm thinking I need to change the attitude of the boat around 4-5 degrees aft or roughly lower the back of the boat 1.5-2". Moving batteries aft is another idea but just that change wont be enough. Obviously I could reinstall a generator but the 4-5k to do it takes all the good $ out of the boat and a Honda 2000 works perfect. I guess after all this my goal is to have water drain from froward bilge to aft bilge while at dock. Any input or ideas would be great!

June 29, 2021, 08:45:55 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 29 Tournament Weight Distribution and bilge
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 08:45:55 PM »
My Explorer hull (keel) dips downward right at where the cabin starts going forward and then swoops up toward the anchor pulpit. That dip is where the water accumulates in the hull. There is a bilge pump there.
Take a look at this pic of the Family Fisherman hull and look at the hull bottom versus the floor in the boat. Right below the portable head is actually the lowest point in the hull when it is at rest. I would bet yours is the same.
https://classicaquasport.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17903&title=222-ff-back&cat=560

Now look at how deep the hull is below the chine, under the cabin, on this action shot of a boat like yours. That is the lowest point in the boat at rest.
https://classicaquasport.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12253&title=290catfront&cat=553
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 30, 2021, 12:45:12 PM
Reply #2

29aquasport

• Information Offline
Re: 29 Tournament Weight Distribution and bilge
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »
I agree with you that there is an exaggerated lower entry on the bow of the boat. I just had it pulled and did the bottom paint on it and we set the boat up just aft level by a few degrees. I actually could get most of the water out. I'm thinking there is still a low spot like you stated right at the bow area that I may never dry out but if I can keep water from going forward at least it will be better than it is now. I will do some experimenting this weekend with coolers full of water and see what I can figure out. I know its not that important but I really like a dry bilge. Thanks for the input and I will post what I find out. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal