Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Engines & engine woes

73 Aquasport 170 motor issues

(1/4) > >>

Wallen:
73 Aquasport 180 that I am slowly rebuilding. I'm told I have bought the wrong motor for it....2002 Yamaha 115 hp 4-stroke. Is this so? Is shaft ...24" ...to long?
Is motor to heavy? Any info would be of great help
 I'm new here but hope to spend much time as I restore this boat. Thank you!

RickK:
I think you mean 170. If so, they are very sensitive to weight and a four stroke on the aft will put the scuppers under water for sure. The transom is set up for 20" outboards.

wingnut:
If you’re redoing the transom, XL (25” shaft) is not bad since you can build it taller. Just make sure you’re measuring it right - clamp to cavitation plate should be your transom height.

115 4 stroke will sit a little low but I would not say it would be dangerous, especially if you’re raising transom 5”. Just don’t put a big fuel tank or bait well to aft.

Ditto Rick, just don’t expect it to be self bailing. I have a 270lb Suzuki DT85 on mine and it is self bailing, but barely.

boatnamesue:

--- Quote from: Wallen on May 18, 2021, 05:08:07 PM ---73 Aquasport 180 that I am slowly rebuilding. I'm told I have bought the wrong motor for it....2002 Yamaha 115 hp 4-stroke. Is this so? Is shaft ...24" ...to long?  Is motor to heavy?
--- End quote ---

I have the ‘76 170 model with a Yam ‘98 115hp.  Your 4 stroke is same weight as my 2 stroke.  This motor is not too heavy and in my opinion is the perfect HP for this hull to achieve maximum hull performance.  The motor will drop the scuppers to just above water (salt), but I keep them plugged anyways. 

However....Bad news is the 25” shaft is too long.  You need the 20” or you will certainly experience significant performance issues, both motor and hull.  I don’t really see a workaround if you hung the 25”, unless you enclose the transom, hang the motor on a hydro jack plate, and mount the plate higher up towards top of transom to compensate for the +5” shaft length. 

Wallen:
Soooooo...it seems I have a 170! My bad...
After looking all over internet I see many that had a 115hp Yamaha on them...I have a 2005 115hp Yamaha 4stroke  and am now wondering g if it will work? It's a long shaft and am looking into changing to short (my wife runs office at a local marina on Lake Winnipesaukee). My other thought is to try to sell/trade/barter it for a smaller motor...not sure. There is a transom height extender I've seen ...is this an option? Thanks for all the info and help!
I'm also going to remove onboarding gas tank to determine why they had motor hooked up to a separate tank on deck. Motor was a Johnson 90 VRO that mice destroyed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version