You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Plumbing

Livewell Thru Hull

(1/1)

umecheme:
So... quick question regarding thru hulls.  I purchased a "standard" round stainless thru hull, with the expectation of installing it for a (future) livewell.  My buddy told me that this will not work, and I need a clamshell type thru hull in order to suck water while underway.  I can see creating an eductor effect from moving through the water.  Is this the case, and if so, what should I be using for a thru hull fitting?

John G:

--- Quote from: umecheme on April 14, 2021, 10:56:07 AM ---So... quick question regarding thru hulls.  I purchased a "standard" round stainless thru hull, with the expectation of installing it for a (future) livewell.  My buddy told me that this will not work, and I need a clamshell type thru hull in order to suck water while underway.  I can see creating an eductor effect from moving through the water.  Is this the case, and if so, what should I be using for a thru hull fitting?

--- End quote ---

You need a "scoop strainer" installed over the thru-hull fitting to direct water in.   You can by the thru-hull with it already attached or buy a separate one.  Mine has a ring that attaches permanently to the hull and the strainer attaches to it for easy removal at the end of the season for cleaning.   If you're in salt water - bronze is the way to go, not stainless.

CTsalt12:
I do not have a scoop type to direct water in.  But instead a filter/strainer type.  It’s a round plate with holes to keep debris from entering the thru hull.  I have never had issues filling the livewell with that setup.

boatnamesue:
It's called a high speed pickup....bronze is the standard material.

Capt. Bob:
This is what I used.

https://www.forespar.com/products/boat-marine-plumbing-mushroom-scoop-strainer-thru-hull.shtml

Been in place for 11 years and looks new. I have it coupled with the compatible seacock shown further down the page.

Good luck. :thumright:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version