You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Trailers

'99 175 Osprey center console cooler seat opens when towing.. WHY?

(1/2) > >>

TopherMichael:
I don't tow on the highway often, however whenever I do the center console cooler seat (back rest type) always blows open when towing the boat. Why?

Is it normal for the cooler seat to blow open when on the highway?

Capt. Bob:
Second question first.

Yes and no. Doesn't that seat have a clasp of some sort to latch it down?
If yes, then it is either a negative function or you are not engaging it correctly.
If no, then you should install one.

First question. Highway speeds cause a considerable amount of air flow in and around the hull. This causes unsecured items to become airborne. Ever notice a boat cushion, cooler or life jacket on the side of the road heading to or from the boat ramp?

TopherMichael:

--- Quote from: Capt. Bob on September 01, 2020, 12:42:36 PM ---Second question first.

Yes and no. Doesn't that seat have a clasp of some sort to latch it down?
If yes, then it is either a negative function or you are not engaging it correctly.
If no, then you should install one.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't have a latch, will look into using a strap when towing.

--- Quote from: Capt. Bob on September 01, 2020, 12:42:36 PM ---First question. Highway speeds cause a considerable amount of air flow in and around the hull. This causes unsecured items to become airborne. Ever notice a boat cushion, cooler or life jacket on the side of the road heading to or from the boat ramp?

--- End quote ---

Yup... I just lost a life jacket this last trip.

Tampa Bay Mike:
I had an old boat that would do the same thing. It was the standard flip back cooler seat that opened to the front. I got sick of worrying about stuff blowing out so I pulled all the screws out of the mount and turned it around. Problem solved for me  :nSalute:

TikiDoc:
The seat opens due to the consequences of the Bernoulli principle.  The deck is relatively flat, with a large elevation (the console and windshield) amidships.  Highway speeds generate enough lift behind the projection to lift the seat.  The position behind the console is where one would expect the highest degree of lift to be generated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version