Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Other Classic Rebuilds

74 Proline 24

(1/4) > >>

JTB Boatworks:
What's up everyone.  My name's John.  I am rebuilding a 74 Proline 24 flatback.  I plan on documenting the build here in hopes of getting lots of valuable advice from everyone along the way.  The plan is a simple bay boat, 200ish Yamaha on a porta bracket, hard t-top with mid or full tower, etc.  I'm currently gutting the hull to be able to start on transom and stringers.  I look forward to sharing this with you all. 

JTB Boatworks:
So first question is on the transom.  I will be going with a full transom and getting rid of the notch.  Is it better to maintain the factory integrity of the original skin of the transom or better just to cut the whole factory transom of and start fresh with melamine and new glass?  Going to use coosa for the core material.  For the core, is laminating thinner pieces stronger or should I be trying to buy the thickest sheet I can to avoid laminating?

Tampa Bay Mike:
Nice looking boat. Should be a fun build.  :thumleft:

For the transom, you'll probably hear about 50/50 each way so it may become a decision of what's the most cost effective. The last time I was at marine surplus down in Sarasota they had a few sheets of inch and a half left for about $300. May be worth a call at least.

RickK:
If the outer skin is not too holey, you can leave it. If it is wavy you might want to cut it out. You'll still use a a sheet of melamine either way to give you a flat place to add the notch fill in and to get 3 layers of 1708 on the inside of the skin to start your rebuild nice and beefy.
As for the core - I agree with Mike.

JTB Boatworks:
Thanks guys.  I will check with marine surplus Monday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version