You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Anchors, Power Anchors (Power Pole and Talon) and Windlass

Powerpole install on 170

(1/4) > >>

duff170:
Hey This is my first post here. I have a 1986 170 Aquasport with a 70 hp Yamaha. I also have two bait boxes on the back I got from Shipoke boat works a few years back. I recently got a used Powerpole with the intention of mounting it off the back but the more I look at it I don't trust the boxes to withstand the pressure of holding the boat in place. Especially in a current or with a passing boat wake. Has anyone tried this?

fitz73222:
Hey Duff,

Welcome, I know Eugene's bait boxes and they're built better than the original factory boxes, Scotty (gran398) has a pair of them on his 22-2 and they are stout compared to my originals on my 22-2, we used to dive off of them when I was a kid, climb on them everything you can imagine but.... there is no coring in either version and I'm thinking those stresses from a power pole will eventually spiderweb and crack that 1/4-3/8" thick glass box at the mounting points. I'm assuming you lag bolted the boxes to the transom, just like the factory did or did you through bolt the top attachment points above the floor height? Eugene will lend his advice as soon as he reads this I'm sure. I know you dont have a lot of room for an alternative mounting point without the engine cowling hitting the powerpole when turned. If you have a jackplate on the engine, I have seen adapter kits that allow mounting it to the jackplate that have enough offset to allow the engine to turn without hitting it and still may clear the bait box.

RickK:
Check on the Powerpole site and look at the many brackets they offer so you're not mounting them to anything but a bracket.  I have a 6' power pole and I am adding a CMC jackplate to the boat.  I could mount the PP where I had it before but I want to explore adding it to the side of the jackplate so I'm not drilling more holes through my new transom.  I'm not having much luck with "negative" brackets - the PP is supposed to be mounted 4" above the bottom of the hull - and all the brackets they offer are for the newer 8 and 10' PP I'm thinking, and are "positive" brackets meaning they "curve up" from the mounting point - seems they forgot about us that have the older models.
Supposedly CMC offers a way to mount one to the jack plate instead. I might have to take a road trip and bring it to them and have them figure it out.

GoneFission:
I've seen some of the go-fast tourney bass boats with powerpoles mounted on the jackplate.  I have not looked closely, but assume they are using the ones from PowerPole:  http://www.power-pole.com/Items.aspx?co ... es&key=cat  

Found a pic:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m82/ ... Mount2.jpg

duff170:
Ya I have the boxes thru bolted on the transom and lagged in the bottom. Eugene definitely did a good job on the boxes and they are strong enough to stand on or climb up but cant see them holding the weight of the boat. I have a Atlas jackplate with an offset I am going to put on in the next few months which I do have a side adaptor for but it doesn't look like it will fit. If I put it on the offset plate it will hit the box, if I put it on the actual jackplate I think it will hit the motor. Guess I wont know till I try

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version