Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Fiberglass and Materials Corner / Re: Pnuematic Sander
« Last post by RickK on March 27, 2024, 08:47:32 AM »
Harbor freight is where I got mine - lasted through the rebuild and still works
22-2 Rebuilds / Re: Foam stringers or coosa ?
« Last post by RickK on March 27, 2024, 08:43:59 AM »
I pulled measurements and laid it out before I cut the old stringers out so I could replicate just not really sure how to make the form. I would rather go back with the trapezoid stringers as that’s what the boat was engineered with and I know they’re pretty strong. Any info on how you made the forms ?
Glad you did that. Did you get measurements to the top and bottom of the stringers? That would tell you how tall they were and how tall to make the forms.
Here is where I started https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.msg89831#msg89831

I started by using 1708 for each and then joined them together, If I had to do it over I think I would make a 16ft long mold so I didn't have to join them.

Joining them https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.msg90053#msg90053

Layout/planning https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.msg90478#msg90478

Update on joining the stringers https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.msg91891#msg91891

Scribing the stringers https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.msg93388#msg93388

Anchoring the stringer https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.msg95291#msg95291
Aquasport Discussion / Re: Stop Lurking and Start Posting!! Introduce Yourself Here!
« Last post by larro on March 27, 2024, 06:52:32 AM »
Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker who acquired an 89 Osprey 200 last year from the nephew of the original owner( I have a pile of original paperwork with the boat). I intended to fully restore her and someday will but the sole and transom seem solid along with the fuel tank being replaced so I'm currently rewiring and have to repair the inner side of the port stringer. I was planning on buying a new boat but couldn't pull the trigger and after seeing the incredible work here on this site I know now that this is the direction I'm heading in. Thanks in advance, Larro
« Last post by Blueline93 on March 26, 2024, 08:58:04 PM »
I pulled measurements and laid it out before I cut the old stringers out so I could replicate just not really sure how to make the form. I would rather go back with the trapezoid stringers as that’s what the boat was engineered with and I know they’re pretty strong. Any info on how you made the forms ?
22-2 Rebuilds / Re: 1975 Aquasport 22-2 Rebuild_PWH70
« Last post by pwh70 on March 26, 2024, 07:04:14 PM »
Did you squirt some glue (thickened resin) up behind the liner on the sides? The liner usually isn't glued very effectively to the hull side and you tied into that. Hopefully you glued the floor to the stringers well, so that will keep everything tied together.

No, I didn't do that. The previous 3(!) decks were tied in similarly to only the liner, so hopefully there won't be any issues. Yes, the deck is glued and screwed into the stringers and all bulkheads and reinforcements, and tied into the transom and foredeck (which is newly reinforced with two bulkheads that are attached directly to the hull). It should be pretty sturdy (I hope!)

Here it is fully glassed over, today.

Thanks for looking - Paul
Fiberglass and Materials Corner / Pnuematic Sander
« Last post by umecheme on March 26, 2024, 06:33:41 PM »
Looking to buy a pnuematic straight line sander, anybody have a recommendation on brands?
I would contact a canvas guy or two and get a quote, Does the bimini still have the zippers on the front and sides for the eisenglass? Kinda looks like you do and you have the snaps still in place so it should be easy for the guy to make.
« Last post by RickK on March 26, 2024, 02:34:42 PM »
You could do either. I built my trapezoid stringers from scratch with 1708. If the stringers were not in the boat when you bought it you don't have any measurements from the cap down to the top of the stringers, to go by. Have you replaced the transom already or do you still have the evidence of where the stringers attached?
« Last post by RickK on March 26, 2024, 02:25:49 PM »
Did you squirt some glue (thickened resin) up behind the liner on the sides? The liner usually isn't glued very effectively to the hull side and you tied into that. Hopefully you glued the floor to the stringers well, so that will keep everything tied together.
« Last post by pwh70 on March 25, 2024, 10:14:28 PM »
Question what size was the fillet did you have to use to close the gap from the stringer to the hull and did you use 1708?

Thanks, Larro... I can't believe that with all the pictures I've taken, I don't have a good one of those stringers after the reinforcement was done. It wasn't a traditional fillet and cloth as you might expect. We initially sprayed the gap between the stringers and hull using a fiberglass chop gun, then a layer of 2415 woven roving mat was laid into the corner over the chop, and then another layer of chop was sprayed on... then it all gets rolled in with the resin that is applied in each of the 3 layers.

The only picture I have shows the inside of the stringer (not the outside gap that you are probably asking about) and it has been coated with gelcoat so there isn't much detail to see. The unpainted portion is the top of the stringer - it runs down about 8" and is blended into the hull before it steps down directly to the bilge. I'm sorry I don't have anything better.

In other news, I finished installing a new thru-hull and seacock, and a new bilge pump. The final (aft) deck section was installed and the deck edges were glassed up onto the liner.

This is a birds-eye view of the same stringer section mentioned above.

Thanks,
Paul

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal