You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Osprey 170 drain problem  (Read 1238 times)

June 17, 2005, 12:54:27 PM
Read 1238 times

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
Osprey 170 drain problem
« on: June 17, 2005, 12:54:27 PM »
I have a 1985 Osprey 170, which I use nonstop down here in sunny Panama.  I have a small problem which may need help from your guys that have a lot more knowledge into AS boats than me.  My problem has to do with rain.  I know I said Panama is sunny, but when it rains, IT RAINS!!!
The forward boxes on the cockpit floor fill with rainwater during storage, even while closed.  The one in the center has a drain , which drains directly overboard through a hose and through- hull.  I´m planning on opening drain holes on the two side boxes.  My plan is to drill the holes and install brass drain tubes.  My question is:  Can I make this holes to drain directly below without the need to plumb the drains overboard?  Is this water going to travel freely to the bilge?  If this is so, I have no problem since the boat is stored without the transom plug and will drain freely.  My concern would be if this water would end up in foam flotation or something like that.  I don’t really know how the boat is constructed.  
Another question:  Where does the little forward anchor locker drain to?
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

June 17, 2005, 05:39:43 PM
Reply #1

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:39:43 PM »
I have a 22.2, so maybe this doesn't apply to your boat, but, the only time I've ever had my forward compartments fill is when the boat is on the trailer, with the tongue jacked up really high.   The boat is designed to be self bailing when level, so elevating the nose doesn't buy you a whole lot.  I know the trick about trying to drain bilge water by elevating the tongue, but for general storage, it's not the best thing to do.  On my boat, the area where the hatch seals to the deck has channels that run back to the main deck.  Would see if you have these channels and, make sure they're perfectly clean at all times.  If they're not, it's easy to see how the water level in the lip area could rise and, fill the compartments.  Before I made a path for rainwater to collect in the bilge, I would deepen these channels under the hatches.
1973 22.2 Osprey - Sand Bar II
Miamuh, Florida

June 17, 2005, 07:00:04 PM
Reply #2

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:00:04 PM »
Thanks, Radioshop.  You are right about me storing the trailer a bit "nose high".  I´ll try and lower it this weekend and hose it down just to see what happens.  My hatch seals have lips that run all the way back to the deck, so I´m guessing you are right about this being the culprit.

December 15, 2005, 10:33:28 PM
Reply #3

Anonymous

Draining Water
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 10:33:28 PM »
Same problem with my '89 170.

You could try to attach some weatherstripping to the top edge inside the compartment, so that when the lid is in place the inside of the lid will rest on the weather stripping.

Didn't last long for me, so I just drilled a 1/4" hole in each corner of the side compartments & let them drain to the bilge.

The Anchor locker also drains to the bilge.

Good luck.

December 27, 2005, 03:07:50 PM
Reply #4

Mr. Osprey

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 03:07:50 PM »
I have the same exact prooblem. When it rains a lot, the front hatches are usually filled to the top with rain water.
Mr. Osprey

1971 Mako 17 Angler
1986 Evinrude 88 SPL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal