Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: '75 170 epoxy or polyester, fuel tank install  (Read 2992 times)

August 22, 2007, 11:42:07 AM
Read 2992 times

MichaelO

• Information Offline
'75 170 epoxy or polyester, fuel tank install
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a bit.  I've recently become the owner of a '75 170, with '94 Evinrude 88SPL.  I'll get some pictures up within the next few weeks.

First off, let me comment on what a great forum this is.  The community is uniquely kind and helpful.

The boat is in need of much love but, I'm mainly just concentrating on getting together a simple, dependable, fishing platform for the fall season.  Thus far, I've gotten the motor running, killed bees, replaced seals in the lower unit, killed bees, broke the frozen steering loose, killed bees, and am in the process of replacing the fuel tank and plumbing (I have the below deck coffin type), killing some bees, and installing a bilge pump.  After that list, I'll throw it in the drink, and move forward on renewing the electrics, getting through some of the deferred maintenance on the motor (thermostats, et cetera) and hopefully installing trim/tilt.

Phil over at Alloy Metal Works has shipped me a new powder coated tank, which I've just learned has arrived this morning.  Phil and Phil (father and son) were quick to respond and turned around the tank in a week.  It feels good to support locally-owned, family business and the price and short production time made it easy.  I'll report on the fit and finish when I've seen it.

Getting to the point of the post, I'm getting my game plan together for the new tank install and I have a couple of questions:

I'm looking into ways to clean the old silicone from the tank cover and sole.  A chemist and chemical engineer has been kind enough to check the latest technology but, some information she could use is whether the boat was constructed with true epoxy or polyester epoxy.  Anyone know?

Also, I'm trying to keep a tight budget while only doing very high quality work and so I'm trying to minimize waste.  As far as pulling new hose for the fuel fill, I don't want to buy much more than necessary, and I'm loathe to pull the old stuff out unless I'm using it as a leader to pull the new stuff in.  Here is my plan so far, please comment:

1. Use a shop vac to suck a string through the fill hose.
2. Measure string, add one foot, purchase new hose.
3. Place a union between new hose and old, perhaps with some tape at joint, and pull new hose in using old hose.

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
Michael O'
Western L.I. Sound

P.S. The old fuel tank was aluminum wrapped in fiberglass.  It may have been leaking at the top, or maybe anywhere but at the top was where I could hear air leaking through the glass when I pressure tested.  I will be disposing of the tank tonight unless someone thinks they can resurrect it.  Obviously, free to a good home.
Cheers,
Michael O'
Odonnell Marine LLC
Fairfield, CT
1975 170
1985 Wellcraft V20

August 22, 2007, 12:29:02 PM
Reply #1

Shine

• Information Offline
    • http://www.gulfstreamcoposites.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
Your plan for running the new line sounds good to me.  

The boat would be made from polyester.

August 22, 2007, 12:43:33 PM
Reply #2

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »
:thumright:  Good plan.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

August 22, 2007, 02:37:06 PM
Reply #3

KeithG

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:37:06 PM »
Just one thing to think about, and I'm only saying this because this is what my sons and I do for a living.

Unless your are positive you have all gas fumes removed, instead of sucking the string thru, reverse your hose, tie a cotton ball on the end of your string and blow the string thru, gas vapors and brushes on electric motors don't mix.

The results are the same, just safer.

Keith

August 22, 2007, 02:41:06 PM
Reply #4

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »
Amen to that!
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

August 22, 2007, 04:52:16 PM
Reply #5

MichaelO

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:52:16 PM »
I appreciate the replies and the safety concerns.  The fuel hose has been disconnected for a while and with my nose in there, is pretty odor free.  Also, blow is not an option on my vac.  But, I'll take good advice and compromise.  I'll set it up, and throw the switch to the outlet from inside the house.  If it all goes bad, I won't be standing there.

I'm still thinking...the cotton ball is a bit of genius.  I've got an air ball, maybe I can use compressed air to blow it through.  I'll try that first.  Probably try that second too.

Bleh, nothing is ever easy.  In the words of Homer Simpson, "the word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days..."

Thank you,
Michael O'
'75 170
Pine Creek
Western L.I. Sound
Cheers,
Michael O'
Odonnell Marine LLC
Fairfield, CT
1975 170
1985 Wellcraft V20

August 23, 2007, 05:28:05 AM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:28:05 AM »
Welcome aboard Michael and welcome to our ever growing 170/175 family.  Can't believe how many new members in the last couple weeks are 170/175 owners - at least a half-dozen.

Sounds like you have a plan in place and the advice given is good and sound.  Keep us in the loop with step-by-step pix to help us all see what you're into and to learn from too.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 23, 2007, 10:07:45 AM
Reply #7

MichaelO

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »
Thank you for the welcome.

Special thanks to Keith for the cotton ball suggestion.  I tied one on and with a quick blast of compressed air, it all but instantly popped out the far end.  So, we avoided any potential explosions.

Actually, that isn't completely true...that is what happened on the second try.  I couldn't find the air gun so I pushed an empty quick connect onto the air line with my thumb over it and inverted it over the hose.  I must not have locked it in because it immediately popped out and into the hose.  Luckily, there was a _cotton_ball_ right there to halt its progress.  I reached in with needle nose to retrieve it and tried again.  On the second try, it worked perfectly.  For the record, there was only 60 psi in the air ball, the fill hose measured exactly five feet.

I collected my new tank and it looks great.  The welds are thick and I can see penetration when I peer in through the outlet bung.  The bung is well supported, and the fill and vent ports are well constructed with an annular retention bulge.

I'm dealing with some camera issues at the moment but, will get pictures up as soon as I can.

Next question, there was some type of putty or caulk around the fill line and vent line, where they enter the coffin, to prevent chafing on the edge of the fiberglass hole.  Can anyone recommend a product I can use for this purpose?

Thanks,
Michael O'
'75 170
Pine Creek
Western L.I. Sound
Cheers,
Michael O'
Odonnell Marine LLC
Fairfield, CT
1975 170
1985 Wellcraft V20

August 23, 2007, 09:00:06 PM
Reply #8

KeithG

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:00:06 PM »
What ever you do... don't ever confuse smarts with experience :!:

My sons and I work in hazardous environments everyday and when you have your boys working for you it changes procedures alot.

I can assure you I did things sometimes that werent so smart, but once my sons got involved, I started looking at things different.

I am so glad I could help.

Keith

August 24, 2007, 11:40:21 AM
Reply #9

MichaelO

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:40:21 AM »
Quote from: "KeithG"
I can assure you I did things sometimes that werent so smart, but once my sons got involved, I started looking at things different.

Keith

I know what you mean.  You should have a family member buckle you into a race car: "wait, Casey, I can't breathe!"

Cheers,
Michael O'
Cheers,
Michael O'
Odonnell Marine LLC
Fairfield, CT
1975 170
1985 Wellcraft V20

August 24, 2007, 05:40:49 PM
Reply #10

KeithG

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »
Quote from: "MichaelO"
Quote from: "KeithG"

Keith

I know what you mean.  You should have a family member buckle you into a race car: "wait, Casey, I can't breathe!"

Cheers,
Michael O'

My youngest son raced NHRA Jr Dragsters, 660' in 7.9 seconds@ 85mph is fast, I don't care who you are.

We had a incident one night, where his car went airborne twice at the stripe,I ran right past my pit bike, the entire length of the track, I was sooo scared I just forgot I even had a pit bike, all I wanted to do was get to my son.

Of course he was fine, and wanted to know how long it was going to take to fix the car, I stayed up to 3:00am working on it @ the track. he raced the next day.

Kids :P  What cha gonna do :?:
Keith G

April 22, 2008, 10:48:53 PM
Reply #11

wwwcre8r

• Information Offline
    • http://www.cre8r.com
Re: '75 170 epoxy or polyester, fuel tank install
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 10:48:53 PM »
Quote from: "MichaelO"
Also, I'm trying to keep a tight budget while only doing very high quality work and so I'm trying to minimize waste.  As far as pulling new hose for the fuel fill, I don't want to buy much more than necessary, and I'm loathe to pull the old stuff out unless I'm using it as a leader to pull the new stuff in.  Here is my plan so far, please comment:

1. Use a shop vac to suck a string through the fill hose.
2. Measure string, add one foot, purchase new hose.
3. Place a union between new hose and old, perhaps with some tape at joint, and pull new hose in using old hose.

Were you able to get the old fuel fill hose out? I'm trying to get mine out... no success, I think it is glassed / foamed / or pinched into place.
 :(

I also went to Phil @ Alloy Metal Works... he was great, awesome work.
1987 Aquasport 170 Osprey, \'87 Mercury Mariner 115 L6

May 27, 2008, 01:46:40 PM
Reply #12

MichaelO

• Information Offline
Re: '75 170 epoxy or polyester, fuel tank install
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:46:40 PM »
Quote from: "wwwcre8r"
Were you able to get the old fuel fill hose out? I'm trying to get mine out... no success, I think it is glassed / foamed / or pinched into place.

[snip]

Sorry I missed your post.  I had to put my boat project on hold due to circumstances beyond my control.  I'm finally just back on it and was here looking in on others' projects and noticed your post.  You've probably already figured it out but, here is what little I can tell you:

I thought mine was glassed, or somehow or other jammered in as well.  It wasn't.  There was some super-sticky (polysulfide, I think) caulk holding it where it entered the coffin, and even a hidden pinch held that hose like there was no tomorrow.  There was also a wire installed to ground the hose clamp and filler neck (this was very hard to see).  Once I found and addressed those two items, the hose was free.

Cheers,
Michael O'
Cheers,
Michael O'
Odonnell Marine LLC
Fairfield, CT
1975 170
1985 Wellcraft V20

May 27, 2008, 01:57:07 PM
Reply #13

wwwcre8r

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
MichaelO, thanks for the reply... I haven't gotten the fuel fill hose out yet.  :cry:

The hose is not secured at the point where it enters the coffin... There was an old, unused clear 3/8" hose running along the fuel fill - not sure what that could be for as it wasn't connected at either end; I pulled that out easily, I also pulled out the grounding wire which was coiled around the fuel fill hose the whole way.

From the gunnel, I can see all the way down to where the hose bends to run across the stringer...

It is a 1 1/2" hose... I wonder if I could replace that with a 1" hose? I think even when I get this one out, getting a new one in would be just as difficult.

What a lousy design, did they not think a person might need to replace a hose ever?

July 06, 2008, 09:03:29 AM
Reply #14

wwwcre8r

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 09:03:29 AM »
Regarding the fuel fill hose... I finally got it out & the new one in!

I posted to another thread on this, here's the link if anyone cares, I'll post pics soon.
http://www.classicaquasport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2573 :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal