Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: My in floor hatch molds step by step by Kaptain Koz  (Read 4165 times)

November 22, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
Read 4165 times

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
My in floor hatch molds step by step by Kaptain Koz
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »

Hello everyone,

im getting a fair amount of inquiries on how I made my hatches so I figured I would try to break it down step by step. Although there is a bit of an outline in my rebuild post, I have lived and learned and want to share how I would do them if I were to make them again. I want to make it clear this is my first attempt at mold making and I am in no way a professional or someone that should be giving advice. I tried it and it worked out for me and thats all im sharing. Im sure there are better ways to do this and if you know of any then please share your thoughts. I advise you watch a few YOUTUBE videos from a guy named "gasserglass" as his mold making videos were really good and taught me alot.

I will demonstrate the size that I made, overall 18 1/2 x 26 3/8. You can make them any size you want providing two things; you leave at least a 2 inch flange around the perimeter as enough materal to mount to a floor with, and the drain "triangle" is big enough to accomodate your drain.

1)      The first and most important piece is the inner wooded piece which I will refer to as the "insert". Home depot had really nice 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch x 8 ft clear pine that was pin straight and blemish/knot free. One piece was enough for 1 mold. I set the table saw at 1/2 inch, then 1 inch and ran the piece through to create the cutout. I then set the blade at 5 degrees and ran the piece through again to add a taper. This adds to an easier mold release. You probably could run them straight without tapers as they should pop out as well. After the table saw, I took the full length and cleaned it up with sandpaper to really smooth them out and work out any saw blade marks. Once that piece is done set it aside for now.

2)     Next cut a piece of material for the base. I like the white pressboard because it is relatively cheap, straight, no knots or grain, and the white finish is almost non stick without wax (but wax it anyway!!) for the base, material thickness doesnt matter but use something stiff enough to hold everything square and thats strong enough to hold up to the torque of finished product removal. Cut the piece to 18 1/2 x 26 3/8 (or 2" larger than the "inner box frame" which I will talk about later). (Displayed Below is plywood, but as mentioned these instructions are for what I would have done if doing them again. I advise using a stiff, non stick surface. On top of this plywood was the whiteboard, but plan modifications eliminate the ply now.)  

3) next you want to make the inner box frame. The outside perimeter of this box represents the actual opening size. Take 3/4 white board and run it through a table saw creating a 2 inch wide plank. Cut this plank as you would a picture frame using 45 degree cuts, and then 22.5 degree cuts for the "drain triangle".

This is the piece you are looking to make. Pay no mind at this time to whatever else is on the image at this time as i will address everything.

Here are the dimensions for those pieces:  (NOTE: Original/old design shown. Disregard the plywood middle on the base board. The updated design will have that middle as whiteboard and not plywood. If you build one it should be from one solid slab of whiteboard as your base board)

use a nail gun to tack it together in the shape in the picture, then tack it to the base plate, centered evenly. If you dont have a finishing nail gun you can get a cheap one for less than $30 almost anywhere. They are critical for this work as you can hold the two pieces and tack them together almost instantly without disturbing their placement. You cannot do this with a common nail or screw.

4)    cut the insert to fit around the inner box frame. leave the "drain triangle" for last. you basically want to end up with something that looks like this:

Remember they are 45 degree saw settings for the corners and 22.5 degree setting for the drain triange.

5)  Drain triangle -  Cut, fit and nail a 1/2 x 1/2 piece of wood against the inner box frame to continue the smaller piece of the insert. Next use a piece of plain white paper and fit it into the remaining space to create a template for the drain triangle. Tranfer this to a 1.5 inch  high piece of material (two pieces of plywood or white board tacked together) and send through a table saw being mindful of which sides get a 5 degree cut to match the inserts. Also be mindful that the drain triangle has to be large enough to fit your drain (in the photo its not!!!). IF you need to make the triangle bigger (or smaller) you can shorten (or lengthen) the inserts and the inner box frame to accommodate. (note, I would probably draw the whole thing out first. If you wait until this step to check your drain fitment you are basically going to tear the whole mold apart to make sizing corrections. These dmensions worked for my standard drain and are the dimensions from the other mold which worked out perfectly and not the one in the photo with the smaller drain triangle).

live and learn tip: make sure the drain triangle is cut square. Mine tapered in a bit on one of the molds which would have caused havoc on the hinge alignment as well as would have forced me to modify the door to fit.  seal the open grain of the wood with whatever filler you are using (bondo, wood filler, caulk, etc) as the imprint will transfer to the gel coat

6)     Do a final sanding and rounding of all applicable edges. Make it all smooth and slick. Fill any endgrain whiteboard with wood filler to prevent any gel coat imprint

7) Seal EVERY SEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wood filler, clay, caulk, drywall spackle... whatever works. Seal every seam against gel coat that could creep inbetween the pieces of the mold and ruin your day. Even though it is easiest to use in tight places, you have to be really good at caulk as it cannot be sanded to shape.

8 ) mount the drain and latch -
I wanted the drain a touch recessed so I placed a washer under it and used modeling clay to fill and sculpt the area. I dont think it is necessary but thats up to you. You have to screw down the drain. I sent a screw right through the middle hole into the drain triangle. Duct tape the threads to protect/seal them.
The latch - heres where it got tricky. The latch I wanted to use needed recesses in the mold for them to have clearance to work. I opted to put the catch in the frame and the latch in the door. If I were to build these again, space wise it would be easier to put the latch in the frame and the catch in the door, although this would make it a bit awkward to open the door. As you see I had to make adjustments to the frame to accomodate the latch

Here is the latch I chose to use. What I liked about it is that it is a beefy 100% stainless construction and it does not go all the way through the door. At this point in the game i am not interested in hardware that isnt stainless or brass/bronze. Many turn style latches require a catch that would go through the door defeating the thought of making it waterproof. Its from Sea Dog... thanks Sea Dog!!!!

here is the catch as it was placed in the mold. That rectangular glob of clay is the pocket for the latch to sit in. You may also notice that the catch has clay under it, lifting it from the white board. This is to overcome a manufaturing error where the catch and the latch do not line up straight. If I were to install it flush to the bottom, it would have allowed the door to creep upwards a bit before the catch caught the latch. That would have drove me bonkers! Details details. Lesson here is get all your hardware in advance and see how it fits/works/sits... etc. The clay on the vertical side again the wood is to counter the 5 degree cut of the wood. The screw holes are also filled in with clay. SEAL EVERYTHING! If its not sealed, it will fill with gelcoat or resin and ruin your day.

Heres the problem: the catch mechanism has thickness and needs clearance to operate. I reduced the well height by 3/8th's of an inch leaving 5/8th's plus a gasket to shed water. The latch is located facing the bow, so this low point will always be at the highest spot opposite of the drain. If i were worried about fishing the Flemmish Cap during the perfect storm, I would have placed the latch in the floor and the small catch in the door. That would eliminate the need for the relief in the sealing channel but would have made pulling the door up awkward requiring some other harware to grab the door with.

Here is the relief as it sat in the mold (note: the inner box frame is removed). You can see that it has minimal effect on the depth of the channel leaving 5/8th depth to shed water with.

heres another angle of how it was set up. You can also see the latch pocket the block of clay created behind the catch

9)     Wax the mold with a mold release wax as directed on the product lable. 4-6 coats should do fine. I did 2 coats and it came out fine (where it wasnt stuck by creep). You can use PVA if your used to using it. I opted not do due to fear of runs and puddling with such an intricate piece. Wax was easier for me to wipe off.

10 )     Gel Coat - I gave it about 3 coats of gel coat out of a dump gun. It didnt work out too well as it was impossible to shoot evenly into such a tight crevice (at least for me). However, after the last coat I fixed it up with a plastic spreader and squeegee'd gel coat where ever it was needed to smooth it out. This is one of the good things about a mold is that the finished side is protected. You can correct many a mistake and it will never be seen or make a difference. If you are building a race boat then maybe it may matter. At the end of the day you pop the mold out and all looks good!
Please be certain you are using UNWAXED gel coat. Waxed gelcoat will require sanding before each new coat and would be near impossible with the complexity of this mold. the ONLY layer that gets waxed at all is the final layer of fiberglass... basically the last thing to hit the mold. More on glass later...

whatever you do and how ever you apply it, make sure your gelcoat looks more like the "after" pics than the "before".
A word of caution- be aware that the gelcoat is barely hanging on to a slick waxed surface. If you try to spread hardening gelcoat you run the risk of pulling it off of its position and creating dimples that you will have to fix later. Let the gel coat harden as is and fix it later with another coat of gel coat. Do your best not to disturb the gel coat.  Take a look at the photo just before line 9) above. You will see some dimples in the lower lrft corner of the picture. These were a result of disturbing the gel coat. As you can see in the other finished photos, gel coat can be easily fixed perfectly, so fear not and do your best.... you can fix gel coat now or in 20 years.

10 ) Fiberglass

Please note that I used vinylester resin. You can use polyester resin as well. I dont think you can use epoxy resin with chopped strand as it is the styrene in the other 2 resins that releases the fibers in the chopped strand. Please look into this further if you are into epoxy resins.
I used the following layup schedule: 3/4 oz chopped strand, then 1.5 oz chopped strand, then 1708 biaxial, or in my case, i used 2408 biaxial as I didnt realize the difference and I thought I had 1708. Basically it is 24 oz instead of 17 oz, so it was a bit stiffer and harder to work with but was a thicker and stronger layer.
Past the 1.5 oz, i dont think it matters much what you use to strenghten. If you dont have 1708 I think 5-7 more layers of 1.5 oz would have done it as well. Sure, 5x 1.5 is 7.5oz and not 17 oz, but 17 oz may be overkill. its up to you.
But why the 3/4 oz? This I believe is a critical 1st step. Im sure we all have corners or ridges on our Aquasports that have a chip in the gel coat revealing a crater of missing fiberglass behind it. This was because after the gel coat was sprayed, the chopped strand that was applied after wasnt pressed into every crevice leaving a space.
The 3/4 oz is so thin that it almost turns to mush making it very easy to conform to almost any shape. It is so important to get this first 3/4 oz layer pressed into every nook to basically back the gel coat. in fact, to further secure the gel coat, I mixed a "mayonaise" mix of West Systems 404 (like stronger cabosil) and applied it into the inner crevices before laying the 3/4 over it.
The 1.5 oz is a little thicker and obviously adds more stability to the mold, while any additional coats past that add to the overall strength of the piece. The thicker the glass the harder it is to get it to bend. fiberglass is rigid to some extent and doesnt take to well to sharp bends. Its like trying to bend a fishing rod into a corner... it wants to stay rounded to some extent and wants to spring straight as well.
Here is the layup schedule that worked best for me for this mold:

Notice the biaxial (blue line) is broken and not continuous. I tried that on the first mold and it wanted to spring straight off of the verticals. It will sit well in the valley to the right and the right angle to the left. Vaccuum bagging may be an option but that is beyond my experience at the moment. This layup worked well and was done in 3 sessions

Layer 1: paper thin, even veil of 3/4 oz chopped strand:

Heres a good shot of the 1.5 oz pieces for layer 2, and the 2408 biaxial for layer 3 in the foreground. I tried to use as few pieces as I could because I didnt want to overlap the corners too many times for fear of uneven buildup of the final piece.

Here is a shot after the final biaxial lay up:

11 ) Tools
You tubes' "Gasserglass" stresses that you can never have too many rollers. My go to roller for this mold was this small round one. It fit everywhere and made rolling in glass and rolling out bubbles a breeze.

12 ) Removal

I cut around the outer perimeter and the upper edge with a 4 1.2 inch angle grinder with a metal cut off wheel. YES it throws quite a cloud of fiberglass goodness so doing so outside or in a well ventilated area is highely recommended. There are other ways to cut, I like the grinder with a cut off wheel. Cleaning the edges reveals all the seams that you will attack with the plastic wedge:

I used plastic wedges to seperate the piece from the mold:

Thats all it should take to get this piece off of a well made mold. As mentioned, I didnt seal all my seams and the gelcoat that creeped make this step hell. I had to get quite evil with a chisel to get all the wood out without damaging the gel coat further. with a well made mold the piece should come out fairly easily just by wedging it all around the edge of the mold.

13 ) finishing the piece:

Fill any oops marks with gel coat. Once all is filled, I sanded with increasing grits until I got the finish I desired. I started with 100 to knock down the edges and rough spots, then 150, then 220, then 320 wet, then 600 wet. After installation i will compound with a buffer.

14 ) Doors.... to be continued as soon as I make them! ASAP!
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

November 22, 2013, 08:51:56 PM
Reply #1

Callyb

• Information Offline
  • MidWest
Re: My in floor hatch molds step by step by Kaptain Koz
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »
Awesome post Steve!
Carl

1966 22-2 Flatback w/diver door (perpetual rebuild) w/Mercury 150

1997 Osprey 245 w/Twin 150 Evinrudes

November 22, 2013, 09:32:39 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:32:39 PM »
Quote from: "Callyb"
Awesome post Steve!

Really well thought through too. Wish my aft hatch were done that way. Its tight...but leaks.

Captain Steve....these little touches will be worth a thousand X in the years to come.

November 23, 2013, 01:49:52 AM
Reply #3

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »
Steve,

Your contributions here deserve awards!!   :salut:  I said it before, but I'll say it again.  I've not found a better documented rebuild thread than yours, and yet it's still not enough for you.  The ENTIRE gang thanks you!   :bom:
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

November 23, 2013, 05:29:09 AM
Reply #4

futch13

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 05:29:09 AM »
This thread should be turned into a book..."Fiberglass for Dummies"  My 13 yo son could do a rebuild after reading this one thread  :cheers:  :cheers:  :salut:  :salut:  :salut:

November 24, 2013, 04:17:09 PM
Reply #5

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
You guy are too much! Thanks for the kudos and kind words. I am happy to pay this site back and make something a little easier for my Aquasport brothers. We have the coolest boats out there so why not turn it up to 11 if we can!

November 24, 2013, 06:29:29 PM
Reply #6

fishinonthebrain

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
Steve thanks for taking the time out the tips you gave should really should help the next guy. You are right about having all your hardware available before starting a project like this. Keep it coming.
1987 222CCP current rebuild.

November 27, 2013, 10:55:07 PM
Reply #7

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
I finished up editing the post for the hatch molds. I look forward to posting the doors as soon as I make them which will hopefully be sooner than later.  Im pretty sure I covered most of it but im sure I will read it tomorrow and edit further. Good luck and go make something! If I can do it you can do it!!!

November 27, 2013, 11:35:47 PM
Reply #8

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »
Awesome thread!  You do great work, and your documentation top notch, Steve!
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

December 12, 2013, 07:13:03 PM
Reply #9

OldSkool67

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »
Thank you very much for this post...  :salut:
Ive never met an alligator I didnt want to turn into a wallet and side of nuggets.

67 flatback

June 19, 2014, 01:03:18 AM
Reply #10

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 01:03:18 AM »
So finally after a long winter I have started working on the hatch doors. I used the 3/4 white board again as it is super smooth, flat and slick which needs little waxing to release. I cut the board to size then lipped the board with a 7/8's high strip of the white board. I figured on 3/16 of an inch spacing on all four sides.
At this point it reminded me how critical it is to make sure everything is even and square. One of my hatch frames is almost perfectly square within 1 millimeter as far as length by width goes. The other one is square on 3 sides with one side off at an angle by almost 1/4 inch! I don't know how I missed that one. When I plan to leave 3/16's of an inch gap, to add another 1/4 inch to the gap would be a disaster. So basically the 2nd door will be made to match the shape of the opening with one side varying by 1/4 inch. It also illustrates the importance of measuring and measuring again so you can find any issues and correct for them before you waste any time, effort and materials.

So here is the frame assembled and tacked together. Again I am using a air finishing nailer as trying to screw or hammer nails while holding everything in place probably wouldn't work too well:

Heres where the fun comes in. I have to mount and accommodate for the latch hardware. The lines indicate where the door will sit on the sealing lip

I used a profile gauge to figure out the shape the structure needs to take to accommodate my hardware. I need to leave a void so that the hardware has clearance to operate properly, as well as seal appropriately against the shaped relief I left in the frame. The bump on the very top will be the lowest point under the latch and will have a small hole drilled there to channel any water that seeps behind the latch into the drainage channel. The opening will be pretty much water tight if all goes well. I know it may be difficult to envision what I am doing here as I have a really rough time taking into account the negative space but it will make sense by the end of the project when you see how the cover marries to the frame.

I filled in all the screw holes of the hardware as well as "caulked" the entire outline of the latch with clay and scraped and shaped it how I want. The last thing you want is the gel coat to creep and run behind places it shouldn't be.

Next time I will fill all the seams with drywall spackle and shape them with a radius so that all the corners are slightly rounded, then shoot gel coat. I am not concerned at this time with non-slip texture as I will be gel coating the entire floor of the boat so I will add abrasive to the gel coat then. If you wanted a factory non skid texture, now would be the time to add the imprint sheeting to the mold so the gel coat would take on the pattern.

June 19, 2014, 05:51:06 AM
Reply #11

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 05:51:06 AM »
As usual, nice work and an excellent tutorial!  I'm sure you know but it is probably worth saying anyway - when making the molds for square or rectangular parts, ensuring the lengths of the opposite sides are equal means you will have a parallelogram, but it does not mean each corner will be 90 degrees.  Making sure the diagonal dimensions (corners to opposite corners) are equal will result in a perfectly square hatch.  Keep up the great work!
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

June 19, 2014, 10:25:32 AM
Reply #12

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
Yes thank you. Somehow I cut one leg a hair longer. Sucks a bit but lucky for me I caught it now and I can compensate. That was such a difficult mold to figure out especially with the drain corner. I wish I were making another set to be able to make the adjustments I learned along the way from the first set. As satisfying as it is to pop out my own design pieces, I think it is safe to say that once the 246 is done I will be hanging up the fiberglass tools.

June 19, 2014, 02:45:42 PM
Reply #13

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
You can hang them on top of mine  :lol:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 20, 2014, 12:05:21 AM
Reply #14

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »
Quote from: "RickK"
You can hang them on top of mine  :lol:

your work and creativity is top notch but I know where you are coming from. The only fiberglass I want to hold when the boat is done is a fishing rod!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal