Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: My fuel tank replacement has turned into a transom replacement  (Read 272 times)

March 30, 2021, 10:02:51 PM
Read 272 times

WildBill20CCP

• Information Offline
I have ordered a new fuel tank and while I was waiting I figured I'd check the transom for rot. While I did not want to get into the project I knew if I wanted to close in the transom and add a bracket, I really had no choice. I found a lot of rot and spent the weekend ripping out the old material. An air chisel with a long shaft and flat blade saved me hours after first chipping away with a hammer and pry bar. I have got most of the wood off and ground down most of the skin but I still have a bit to go. I cut the stringers back about 10 inches. The foam had a small amount of moister but after digging in a few inches it appears to be dry moving towards the bow.

I saved the boxes and intend to use them as a base for the cap once the transom is finished.

A couple (actually a lot )of questions I have are:

FGCI sells materials that i have researched, seem fairly priced. I am assuming that because this is a bonding situation to an older fiberglass skin, epoxy is the way to go compared to standard polyester laminating resin.
I have little experience with fiberglass but from my research the Laminating Epoxy, Resin, Gallon Jug (65404190) seems like the right material for a good price.

How much would a job like this require when using 2 3/4in sheets of Coosa as coring material?

Besides the resin and hardener, what other products(filler, faring material) would I need for a project of this size?

1708 and chop strand mat seem like the right glass material. How much of each will I need?

I apologize if any of the information is off. This is my first boat and my first real project of this size. Any guidance is appreciated.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal