Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1969 Aquasport 191 Gull - Need Suggestions  (Read 235 times)

April 01, 2021, 01:48:39 PM
Read 235 times

DCarterGull

• Information Offline
  • FL - Central Area
1969 Aquasport 191 Gull - Need Suggestions
« on: April 01, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 1969 Gull 191. It has a 2017 Suzuki on it with 780 hours. I need to have some work done and I am hoping to get some input. I live in Tampa, FL. Ideally, I'd like to go to one place to have all of the work done, but I know that is unlikely. I already have an appointment scheduled with Schaeffer but they are backed up 3 months for general work and will not be able to repaint the boat for at least two years.

The work I would like to do is minor fiberglass repairs, minor hull repairs, repaint (I am probably just going to strip off the bottom paint and have that repainted with everything else), the front locker hose is leaking below deck in the bow area, touch up paint on the tower, two new bilge pumps, new GPS system (one for up top and one for deck console), attaching the seating/livewell to the floor and sealing it, sealing in the area under the livewell, running the livewell hose under the deck so it is not in the way, and a few other odds and ends.

As far as the motor, I would like to at least discuss the possibility of changing everything over to electronic. Currently, the boat has cables and an old Morse system connecting the lower and upper controls. I would like electronic gauges and fuel gauge. I'm also considering a hydraulic jack plate. Currently, the boat has a manual jack plate and where the motor is currently positioned, the hydraulic jams into the transom if I lift the motor too much. The motor also needs a new bracket to hold it up during trailering and I need to have it serviced.

These are all non-emergent wants/needs, and I'll probably find myself waiting for Shaeffer on this. But I am open to suggestions and hearing about what everyone else would have done when they were taking their boat into the shop or who they would use. For now, I am going to get out on the water and use it as-is! Thanks everyone!

April 02, 2021, 07:59:18 AM
Reply #1

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: 1969 Aquasport 191 Gull - Need Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 07:59:18 AM »
Welcome aboard! I saw that boat for sale recently, hopefully you enjoy it. I think your last point was the most important. Go out and enjoy it! I would hate to have my boat in the shop all spring.

So as far as your list, most of them are things you could easily do yourself and save some $$. Personally I would start with the bilge pumps because they are easy and it's good peace of mind. Next I would have the motor serviced. I just did mine in an afternoon with basic hand tools. I got everything I needed from Precision Marine in Largo and the guy at the counter even printed out the maintenance steps from the manual for me which made it a breeze. Does it have the NEMA backbone already set up? If so switching over to the digital gauge is plug and play. If not, it's still easy, just a little more wiring. Same with the GPS. I've seen a few good deals on some right now if you don't mind last year's model. I'm not too versed on dual station rigging but I don't think you'll be able to change over to fly by wire unless you have that motor so you may have to stick with mechanical. Let's see, plumbing. I would say if you're not keeping it in the water where rain can fill the bilge then I would slide that down the list with repainting and cosmetic touch up. Lots of time in the winter for that stuff. And finally the jackplate. Hydraulic is nicer for sure but your only real option there is swapping out the whole thing which may need to go to a pro unless you have a lift and some confidence.

I think that's it. Lmk if you have any more questions and enjoy it!

April 02, 2021, 10:26:27 AM
Reply #2

DCarterGull

• Information Offline
  • FL - Central Area
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Mike! Appreciate it!

April 07, 2021, 07:20:50 AM
Reply #3

Ulysses485

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 07:20:50 AM »
Nice boat! Love the classic “flatback” models. I think you might see things differently after you start using it and depending on how you use it. You will surely have a different view and may just overlook the cosmetic items that won’t “snowball” sort of speak into something bigger of course. Life safety, absolutely....bilge pumps are “cheap”insurance while out on the water.  I don’t see the trouble of changing from mechanical to electronic controls if that is how the boat is currently configured and working fine. It has worked for decades so is that your preference?

Just my opinion.

Anything you get from Sheaffer will be hands down the best of the best. His S240 has always been my dream.

Ulysses
1981’ Osprey 22-2
1972’ Seahunter 240
1971’ Flatback 222 - SOLD
1970’ Flatback 222

April 23, 2021, 01:48:20 PM
Reply #4

DCarterGull

• Information Offline
  • FL - Central Area
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 01:48:20 PM »
Thanks! I guess I am going to hold off for now with any big repair work. I'm stilling going to add another bilge. Any recommendations for where I can get a boat cover made? I've had trouble getting anyone to return my calls.

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to remove the self-leveling trim tabs. Apparently, those are causing the bow to push farther down which is not how this flatback model is supposed to be operated. It's supposes to have the bow up since it does not have a deep V.

I am interested in any low-cost mods I could do to help the boat handle better. I took it out last weekend, and it was basically inoperable in 3 footers. Seems like the pad deadrise in the back does not really help much.

April 23, 2021, 02:27:14 PM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 02:27:14 PM »
Can you use something like a 12GA wire to lift the tabs out of the water and then take it for a ride and see if that gets you the desired ride.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (Rebuilding it now)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

April 25, 2021, 09:07:13 PM
Reply #6

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 09:07:13 PM »
Are the tabs adjustable? I know some of the Bennett ones have a few different adjustment holes. Or is it possible to disconnect the cylinder from the plate just so you could try running it without fully removing them? I'm guessing they are needed or else the PO wouldn't have gone through the effort to install them.

April 26, 2021, 11:34:04 AM
Reply #7

DCarterGull

• Information Offline
  • FL - Central Area
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
Thank you guys for those suggestions. Those seem like a lot better ideas than removing them. I'm going to try that this weekend and report back here.

April 26, 2021, 01:31:29 PM
Reply #8

TooLoose

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 01:31:29 PM »
Awesome looking boat!
I was under the impression that the tabs did not provide much benefit to a true flatback, or those with a running pad. To points others made, it may make sense to give it a run without the self-leveling tabs (disconnect or remove) before investing in the electric or hydraulic tabs. I did put Lencos on my "heavy" 17'0" and it is an absolute game changer.

April 29, 2021, 08:55:11 AM
Reply #9

Fish Head

• Information Offline
  • MidWest
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 08:55:11 AM »
Sweet looking fishing machine! Just curious with probably some stupid questions. I am from the North so I don’t see any center consoles with a tower/ crows nests. Only in pics or tv. My question is are they tippy when your up there? If you accidentally lean to far outboard can she tip over? Even when your cruising can you turn too quick and tip over? I am sure they must be safe or people would not build them. Is there certain things one must never do when operating one?