You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Trim/Tilt Unit  (Read 277 times)

February 12, 2021, 07:33:16 AM
Read 277 times

TooLoose

• Information Offline
Trim/Tilt Unit
« on: February 12, 2021, 07:33:16 AM »
I have a 2009 Yamaha 115 4-stroke. Over the past few months I noticed that there was a small leak out of the trim pistons so I decided to finally replace all the seals on both trim pistons and the tilt ram. With the right parts, the seal replacements was relatively easy. However....

I cannot figure out how to bleed the unit of all the air. I have tried several combinations of cycling through underpower, using the pressure release value, etc. and still cannot get all the air out of the system. I've talked to a few local mechanics who echo all the YouTube videos I have watched.

I am at the point where I think either (1) the new seals installed are not seated properly or (2) they are faulty seals. Before I go and replace the work I just completed I was hopeful that someone on this forum may have a tip/trick I have not tried yet.

Thank you for the insight.

Mark 

February 14, 2021, 04:04:01 PM
Reply #1

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Re: Trim/Tilt Unit
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »
Here is the air bleed procedure from my service manual.  Despite the age difference btwn our engines I believe the process is the same. 

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

February 16, 2021, 08:01:00 AM
Reply #2

TooLoose

• Information Offline
Re: Trim/Tilt Unit
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the intel, Jason.
Tried that procedure with a few variations multiple times. Through some troubleshooting I noticed a "fingernail-size" scratch on one of the pistons. I ended up buying a whole new assembly and installing that. It seems to have fixed the issue with air in the system, but have not tested it completely yet.

I guess with a hundreds of pounds of pressure something that small could break the vacuum. I'll confirm for the group this weekend.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal