Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Removable tank hold down?  (Read 510 times)

August 27, 2017, 08:22:36 AM
Read 510 times

Uncutproducts

• Information Offline
Removable tank hold down?
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »
Patched old tank, only one little leak. Don't have money for new tank now but plan on getting one. Does tank really need to be fastened with hatch there? Maybe just use spray foam around sides? Also thinking industrial Velcro on strips of starboard.

August 27, 2017, 05:27:53 PM
Reply #1

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Removable tank hold down?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
Yes the tank needs to be secured. DO NOT FOAM THE TANK IN!
Look up the Pascoe method of  installing tanks. A modified version of this is best for our boats.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

August 28, 2017, 12:04:31 AM
Reply #2

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »
Look up the Pascoe method of  installing tanks. A modified version of this is best for our boats.

Agreed with the above ^^^^.  See the link provided below.  This brings you to a thread I started a few months ago, prepping and installing a new aluminum fuel tank using the modified pascoe method.  In reference to the prep, from a cost perspective it's pretty inexpensive.  2 large tubes of 5200, pvc board, and sand paper.  Probably cost me less than $60.

Since you know the tank will need replacing in the very near future, and if you plan on still being the owner at that time, you'll want to skip the step of bonding the pvc strips to the tank coffin.  Otherwise you'll have a hell of a time extracting the tank.  You'll still want to bond pvc strips to the bottom of the tank to elevate it above the coffin, just skip the next step of bonding strips to coffin.  Instead you'll just rely on the squares of bonded pvc board to the tank and coffin to prevent the tank from moving around.

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=14273.msg141575#msg141575

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

August 28, 2017, 08:27:22 AM
Reply #3

Uncutproducts

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
That's what I was looking for. Was planning on adhering strips to old tank for air flow. Didn't want to glue down as I figured it would be really hard to remove. Thanks!

Agreed with the above ^^^^.  See the link provided below.  This brings you to a thread I started a few months ago, prepping and installing a new aluminum fuel tank using the modified pascoe method.  In reference to the prep, from a cost perspective it's pretty inexpensive.  2 large tubes of 5200, pvc board, and sand paper.  Probably cost me less than $60.

Since you know the tank will need replacing in the very near future, and if you plan on still being the owner at that time, you'll want to skip the step of bonding the pvc strips to the tank coffin.  Otherwise you'll have a hell of a time extracting the tank.  You'll still want to bond pvc strips to the bottom of the tank to elevate it above the coffin, just skip the next step of bonding strips to coffin.  Instead you'll just rely on the squares of bonded pvc board to the tank and coffin to prevent the tank from moving around.

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=14273.msg141575#msg141575

August 28, 2017, 09:27:36 AM
Reply #4

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 09:27:36 AM »
I agree with the recommendations to use Pacoe/modified Pascoe for a tank instal that will be ,more or less, permanent.  That  s what I did on my CCP rebuild.  But, since you're only doing a temporary instal with plans to put in a new tank soon, I wouldn't go to the trouble or expense.  I would use blocks of wood (maybe pressure treated 2x4s) screwed to the tank coffin to block it in place until you're ready to go with the new tank.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal