Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1975 170 in floor fuel tank used once - recommision risks?  (Read 429 times)

August 26, 2016, 01:24:49 AM
Read 429 times

Liquorpig

• Information Offline
1975 170 in floor fuel tank used once - recommision risks?
« on: August 26, 2016, 01:24:49 AM »
Hi

My father purchased this 1975 170 new. First time out in new boat on Mille lacs he broke down due to a factory pinched gas line under floor.

I know he had the dealer fix it but vowed to never use it and ran a 6 gallon tank from that day on.

This boat was sold to my brother and worked great for 20 more years but sat last 8 years due to friends having newer boats on better fishing lakes - then poor health.

Trying to bring it around to sell it and have a busted rotted fuel line coming thru floor opening with a squeeze bulb and a Johnson connector.

My brother never used the in-floor tank either.

I'm having the steering cable replaced due to total breakage resulting in headlock steering last weekend anyway.

1. Can the fuel line be replaced simultaneously for the in-floor tank with minimal labor up charge? Any idea on addition labor hours?

2. What risks are associated with recommissioning a the in-floor tank?

3. Is a pressure test likely? How to clean or purge or flush?
More labor hours? Any estimate?

4. Have you rebuilders run into similar situations of long empty tanks and can you share your visual
observations and any concerns I should have that I'm not considering?

The reason I ask is this boat will go up for sale when fully functional
and cleaned up. In-floor tank is better sale-wise I suspect but I don't want to
replace the tank cost wise.

Thanks for your expertise

Mark

August 26, 2016, 05:13:21 AM
Reply #1

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: 1975 170 in floor fuel tank used once - recommision risks?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 05:13:21 AM »
Hi Mark,
The access hatch needs to come off to gain access to the fuel line. 20 or so screws, cut the caulk and lift off the hatch. Most fuel tanks corrode from the outside in from water being trapped under the tank or laying on top of the tank if the hatch isn't sealed properly or the caulk is dried up and shrunk over time. The tank needs to come out and be inspected. It's probably contaminated with varnish if it had 40 year old fuel in it. This may include having to remove the console to lift out the tank but it depends if the cut out at the bottom of the console allows enough clearance to lift up the tank on one end and pull it out. The cooler seat will need to come out also. Having done this myself I would say 10-15 hours of labor is what it will take to do this. The steering cable is not a bad job as long as the engine does not need to be removed to pull the cable end out of the engine. The only overlap in labor savings between the fuel tank and steering cable jobs is removal of the access panel that runs down the starboard side of the boat that needs to be removed for either job so that's only about 15 minutes. Not knowing what your dealer hourly rate is and if your tank is in good usable condition you are probably looking at $750 to get both jobs done.if the boat has been stored inside during its life and has a solid floor, transom and nice gelcoat then it's worth doing these jobs, if the hull and engine need work sell it as is.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

September 05, 2016, 04:03:47 PM
Reply #2

Liquorpig

• Information Offline
Re: 1975 170 in floor fuel tank used once - recommision risks?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »
Thanks Fitz,

I had the steering cable replaced and decided to
leave the gas tank situation alone. I'm not sure it would add enough value to the resale to cover the cost plus labor. 
Unless I do it myself- and I don't plan to - it's kind of cost prohibitive.

However the floor is in very good shape and the gel coat has just a couple dings ...one quarter sized and one about silver dollar sized and is oxidized. 
The hull is good. I replaced the coils and cleaned the carbs.
The motor is finally running above 2hp.
I have to redo a jet cleaning and will retry it again. Had to choke it into hi rpm.

I really appreciate you providing your opinion on the fuel tank.

Take care,

Mark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal