You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: How do I set a trailer for a 170 and other trailer advice  (Read 499 times)

May 22, 2015, 12:36:26 PM
Read 499 times

cmiller001

• Information Offline
How do I set a trailer for a 170 and other trailer advice
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
I just purchased a 1975 170 with a 4 stroke Suzuki 70hp. The trailer is certainly not made for the boat. It has no brand name. What are the basics that I need to know in terms of setting it up. I will attach some photo's soon, let me know what photos would be helpful. It also has 4 ply tires that look new are those sufficient? It has bearings with caps should I have those replaced?

May 22, 2015, 02:12:33 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: How do I set a trailer for a 170 and other trailer advice
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:12:33 PM »
CM,
You have been "lurking" for quite some time haven't you?

Let's just start with some general ideas/questions before we get full blown on a trailer.

First, photos are needed. You should get pics looking from the bow and stern as well as at least one from the side. This will show how the hull currently sits on the trailer (too long or short),how the bow eye meets the front brace, the winch location, and the type (roller or bunk). The rear shot will help determine the bunk/roller placement in relation to the stringer system. Let's start with that.

Tires can be deceiving. They look new because they have deep tread and show little wear? UV radiation is the biggest killer of trailer tires so get a couple of pics aimed right at the tires. What about the rims???

Hubs. They need to, at the very least, be repacked with the proper wheel bearing grease. When doing this, the bearings and accompanying race surfaces need to be inspected for any signs of wear /discoloration. A competent shop will do this and replace as needed. Since the trailer is new to you, you want to establish a baseline of maintenance and go from there. Starting fresh with new bearings and seals tells you exactly where the last maintenance was done. Replacement may not be necessary and cost is always a factor but knowing what you have is important when you consider, wheel bearing failure probably occurs more often than a flat tire.

Don't forget the lights.

Lastly, it may be in your best interest to replace the current trail with a proper fitting one (long run cost may be equal or less) but again, pics will help.

Post up some pics of both the trailer and boat. We have a few trailer fanatics here to help.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 22, 2015, 08:28:35 PM
Reply #2

cmiller001

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »
Yes Bob. I have wanted an classic Aquasport for some time and its been a 11 years since I have lived on the coast.

As for the trailer here are some shots.

May 22, 2015, 08:29:40 PM
Reply #3

cmiller001

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Tire and hub photos.

May 23, 2015, 06:07:01 AM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 06:07:01 AM »
Certainly a long time lurker!!  Glad you found a classic that you like.  The 170 is a great inshore boat and good at taking 2 - maybe 3 people out in. Any more and you start getting in each others way.  I've had my '71 since '88 and am rebuilding it now.
The trailer may not look the prettiest but it does seem to fit the boat ok.  The 170 doesn't weigh much, around a 1100 lbs plus motor so it doesn't take a super duty trailer to deliver her to the water.
I'm not sure what you can do with that trailer to make you feel better about it, it's galvanized so anything you do like, grinding on it, will remove the protection and then you'll have to recoat it and I'm not sure it will be as well protected as when they galvanized it originally.  Maybe time to look for an aluminum one - they last forever (frame).
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal