Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: temperature gauge kit help  (Read 506 times)

July 10, 2013, 04:36:47 PM
Read 506 times

wvinfl

• Information Offline
temperature gauge kit help
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me out..........I want to install temp gauges on my 250 Osprey, however I want the mechanical and not the electrical kind...............several years ago, I bought a kit that had the sensor that screwed into the head and then ran all the way up to the gauge, already connected and it was so much easier and more reliable than the electric ones.....I don't care to have the electric ones if possible..........if anyone remembers, the sensor cable was wrapped in what looking like a spring the entire length of the cable to the gauge from the sensor................well, I have been ALL OVER the internet looking and the guy at my local boat place here told me that for some reason, those kinds are getting harder and harder to find........that just does not make sense........anyway, if anyone has a link or website or local store that they know I can get a couple of these, that would be deeply appreciated....the motors are 2001 Yamaha OX66's 150hp.............please help me out here if you can........I am just at a loss and want to avoid these electric ones if possible........................IF I have to go to electric, I would have no idea which wire to connect too............my vessel has the digital gauges and I would prefer to not have to mess with those, UNLESS there is a wire that is already there not connected that I can use, but I just don't know enough to mess with it and would prefer these mechanical versions.

Thanks
Todd

July 10, 2013, 05:36:17 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: temperature gauge kit help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »
Todd,
Let's look at a couple of things that you may already know.
The mechanical gauge you seek works by a tube supplied, expanding fluid that moves the meter. The problem I see is not finding a mechanical type gauge but one that has a tube long enough to traverse the distance between the motor and the helm dash. Add to that problem, the ability to thread the sensor into the motor.

Here is a typical mechanical gauge.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stewart-War ... 0938200190

I'm not sure they are popular on modern boats (used in cars for that retro look) but again, the sensor/tubing/gauge is one unit (fluid filled).

Yamaha electrical gauges (really any electric gauge) is very accurate and is not constricted to distance. Very simple to install and wire. IMHO easier to pull the sender wire(s) than the mechanical tube/sensor.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

July 10, 2013, 07:50:43 PM
Reply #2

wvinfl

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the input capt, but let me run this by you, please check out this link and please read and tell me what you think or anyone that can help:

http://www.dieselpro.com/engine-water-t ... 40-ft.aspx

They have many of them with different lengths so I don't think distance is going to be an issue and I notice they mention marine applications.  Seems like great construction and it appears to also start at zero which is even better than starting at 100.

I found these later after I posted and have been searching ever since.

Thanks for the awesome reply.

Todd

July 10, 2013, 08:51:54 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
Todd,
Glad you found something. :cheers:
Again, my next concern is the thread match up between the gauge sending unit and the outboard. :scratch:

Could be a "no problem" but still a consideration. :idea: Then again, you don't know till you try.

I know on my 1991 Yamaha, there is a designated "tap" for the temp gauge/water pressure gauge. I have often considered a temp gauge (much to the standard thought on this Forum of a pressure gauge) but as a certified "cheap bastard" I haven't installed same. This fitting (which allows the sensor to contact actual water flow) is currently plugged from the factory. You may (I'd bet you do) have this same deal on your motors. Therefore my concern would be that the sensor threads will match. Again, something that may be overcome with a little work and a thread tap. I'm not knowledgeable in this but know that the Yammy electrical will fit.

Again, a tip of the hat for wanting something outside the box and as always,

Good luck. :thumright:

PS..... If you are successful, pics are a must. :mrgreen:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

July 10, 2013, 10:48:54 PM
Reply #4

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »
I strongly doubt the capillary tube will take the repeated flexing on an outboard installation.  (Keep in mind i think they use a type of freon in them)  On automotive installs I too prefer mechanical type gauges.  But on an outboard the water temp varies greatly depending on the temperature of the water your operating in etc.  The only thing it will tell you is if you have a overheat situation.  A water pressure gauge is the best thing to help prevent an overheat since you will spot the blockage of water flow BEFORE the engines overheat!
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

July 11, 2013, 11:50:13 AM
Reply #5

wvinfl

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »
I will let you know and post some pics if I go this route...........I do have water pressure gauges on the boat already, and there is a big disparity in the pressure from one engine to the other, and the pumps and thermostats and poppit valves have been replaced leading me to think either the pressure gauge is going bad OR something else...........I installed one of these type gauges on a boat that I had before, bought it at a local boat store that is no longer in business and it worked great for years so the concern about the tube holding up, not so sure that would be an issue as it was not in the past...........I flashback to my days of youth and going off the idiot lights and warning lights and it was too late, so what I like about this temp gauge setup I am looking at is exactly what was mentioned is that it gives me a bit more knowledge about what is going on back there before it happens......my motors do have the extra plug on the top of the head to install a temp gauge probe, but not sure how long the probe is on this gauge and I believe I can get an adaptor to fit if if the factory ones that come with the gauge don't work, will be calling them today to discuss this gauge with them to determine if it will fit my needs........I will keep you guys posted on this as to what I am going to do and if I get it done, I will post pics......thanks a bunch guys.

Todd

July 11, 2013, 12:17:16 PM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
Just remember Todd,
At the end of the day, neither gauge will prevent an overheat situation if you're not watching it.

Your first line of defense for an overheat situation is Yamaha's (in your case) warning system. It uses sensors on each head to detect an increase in temperature to a given range and slowing down the motor while providing an audible alarm. All of this occurs before you reach a temperature that can damage your engine. Pretty standard from engine manufacturers and still the best bet in protecting your motor.

I was pondering the temp gauge as just another indicator to engine performance not as an overheat defense. The same hold true for a pressure gauge in judging impeller performance at lower speeds.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal