Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Dangerous Painting? Am I going to burn my house down?  (Read 1537 times)

January 19, 2012, 11:51:32 AM
Reply #15

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Dangerous Painting? Am I going to burn my house down?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
It wont burn the clear?
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

January 19, 2012, 12:27:25 PM
Reply #16

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
If you leave it one place for too long it might. My experience is as long as you keep it moving burning anything is really hard to do. They are also good for removing excess silicone. They won't do much to 5200 though! I guess I need to make a video on how these things work. Absolutely the best way of removing letters and stripes. No more cuts from razors and getting the stripe off and then having to deal with the glue.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

January 19, 2012, 02:44:26 PM
Reply #17

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »
I save my plastic swipe type hotel keys when traveling and they are amazing scrapers for lots of applications and wont hurt the underlying surfaces. Also can be used for filler application, smoothing sealant, anywhere a squeegee app would work.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

January 19, 2012, 04:54:20 PM
Reply #18

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
'Cept give you a good buzz.  Was wiring an Osprey console one winter when the putty was still kicking off (out-gassing).  Ended up across the street in sub-assy, my buddy who ran S/A asked what I needed.  Had no clue... :shock:
Quote from: "Fletch170"
Bob,

That happened to me in college, but I would end up at 7 Eleven eating doritos, beef jerkey, and combos having no idea how I got there.

That's some funny chit!

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

January 19, 2012, 07:43:00 PM
Reply #19

Group W Bench

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Fletch,

If you are only painting small parts, I would make a cheap hot box for curing out of the foam Dow Blueboards that you can get at Home Depot. Just duct tape together a 5 sided box of blueboard (no floor) and cover the parts when you get done painting. Use an electric blanket with plastic sheeting as the floor of your box and cover the parts with your blueboard box to cure. There are race boat builders who use this hot box concept to post cure their pre preg epoxy layups. Their hotboxes are obviously much bigger and require overhead gantries to drop down over the hull molds, but the concept is the same. Instead of radiant heat coils on the floor, you can use an electric blanket. Instead of steel to hold the panels together you can get by with duct tape.

Incidentally, when you spray in cold weather, it often helps to spray a thin tack coat on the parts to begin. Runs are more prevalent on edges and corners of small parts in cold weather, so I've found that a thin tack coat helps minimize potential runs. Minimally, you should turn down the volume relative to warmer temps.

January 19, 2012, 08:05:18 PM
Reply #20

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
Quote from: "Group W Bench"
Fletch,

If you are only painting small parts, I would make a cheap hot box for curing out of the foam Dow Blueboards that you can get at Home Depot. Just duct tape together a 5 sided box of blueboard (no floor) and cover the parts when you get done painting. Use an electric blanket with plastic sheeting as the floor of your box and cover the parts with your blueboard box to cure. There are race boat builders who use this hot box concept to post cure their pre preg epoxy layups. Their hotboxes are obviously much bigger and require overhead gantries to drop down over the hull molds, but the concept is the same. Instead of radiant heat coils on the floor, you can use an electric blanket. Instead of steel to hold the panels together you can get by with duct tape.

Incidentally, when you spray in cold weather, it often helps to spray a thin tack coat on the parts to begin. Runs are more prevalent on edges and corners of small parts in cold weather, so I've found that a thin tack coat helps minimize potential runs. Minimally, you should turn down the volume relative to warmer temps.

Eugene, that is a terrific suggestion. Am sure Fletch appreciates your professional input...as does the board.

Fletch the good news regarding this idea...latent fumes are also minimized.

January 19, 2012, 09:25:43 PM
Reply #21

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I can't wait to build a paint huffing Igloo.

I don't have too many brain cells to go around...might round out this build by drooling and talking to street signs.

Enjoy the warm weather, I'll be enjoying our yearly 4 month dead spell.
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal